The Student Room Group

5 As levels

I am thinking of doing 5 AS Levels, is that a Bad idea?
I am considering doing Economics,Maths,Further Maths,Accounting,English literature...Is this subject combination ok?
Original post by Khan6102
I am thinking of doing 5 AS Levels, is that a Bad idea?
I am considering doing Economics,Maths,Further Maths,Accounting,English literature...Is this subject combination ok?

What course are you planning on doing at University? 5 A-levels isn't really worth it in my opinion, try doing three A2s and one AS. Focus more on getting better grades for each A-level, rather than achieving more
I did 5 and it was ok. If you are good at maths then maths or further maths doesn't take up much time. Accounting is bad, I wouldnt take that.
Reply 3
From experience, I found that when people hoping to take 5 AS levels started college, they ended up dropping one before Christmas due to the large amount of work you get set for each subject. (its a big jump from GCSE)
It all depends on how time efficient and organised you are. If you feel you want to take 5 AS levels, then do it, if you find its too much once you've started studying you could always drop the fifth, and instead take four AS levels and then go on to take 4 A-levels/3 A-levels + an AS level -(the second being what the majority of people tend to do to ensure they get the best grades they can - Universities are more impressed by three good A2 grades than 4/5 average grades!)
I hope this helps :smile: and good luck with your studies!
(edited 11 years ago)
It all depends on your capability and the amount of work you'll put in.
It's definitely not gonna be easy, but if you eat, dream and strive towards your goal you can do it.
To prove that it isn't impossible, a boy left a sixth form near my house with 5A*'s at A Level, and is now studying in Oxford (big surprise :rolleyes: )
Good luck! :gangster:
Good subject combination, it is excellent. However it may be tough to handle as they are heavy subjects.
Reply 6
In year 12 I took 6 AS-Levels, plus one full A-Level early.

It's possible but I wouldn't recommend it, it's not like it gives you a better chance of getting accepted into uni! And you can completely wave goodbye to a social life in the run-up to exams since your workload will be much higher :sigh:
I think Economics, Accounting and English Literature would put you under a fair amount of coursework pressure, but I think anything is manageable as long as you manage your time effectively, which basically means doing everything as early as possible. I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Literature, and while I don't think I was under that much of a workload I botched my planning closer to exams and didn't do as well as I could in English. My opinion though is that Accounting will not add anything to your application, so unless you become very interested in it, you can easily drop it -without worry - early on in the year if you don't find it that great.
As previously mentioned, 5 AS levels is a very heavy workload - they are a lot harder than GCSEs and the exams are much more intense. Some people can handle it, but it isn't massively beneficial in terms of applying to uni, so if you struggle, then drop your least favourite subject. Good grades in less subjects are better than average grades in more subjects
Reply 9
Original post by Unkempt_One
I think Economics, Accounting and English Literature would put you under a fair amount of coursework pressure, but I think anything is manageable as long as you manage your time effectively, which basically means doing everything as early as possible. I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English Literature, and while I don't think I was under that much of a workload I botched my planning closer to exams and didn't do as well as I could in English. My opinion though is that Accounting will not add anything to your application, so unless you become very interested in it, you can easily drop it -without worry - early on in the year if you don't find it that great.

thanku..that helped..i won't take accounting now..
Original post by Khan6102
thanku..that helped..i won't take accounting now..

You can always try for a week or so to see what its like, but economics, Maths and Further Maths should give you what you need to get in to that sort of area . . .
Reply 11
I'm doing Accounting at IGCSE level and the workload is significantly more than my other IGCSE subjects...

Quick Reply

Latest