The Student Room Group

Sussex & Surrey grades

Hey guys,

I really want to study law at either Surrey or Sussex:

Surrey wants AAB and Sussex wants AAA-AAB.

What sort of AS results / Predictions would I need to get to be considered by them? (Bearing in mind i think my PS is going to be pretty strong).

As a little background info, i'm really not sure how I did in my AS exams, some modules seemed pretty easy while others were terrible! My GCSEs are below average (a few a's, a few b's & a few c's) but that was down to myself not really aiming for further education at that time.
Reply 1
Ideally you should get a few As and a B if it's an AAA course, especially since law is normally quite competitive.
There's no definitive answer but you shouldn't get lower than BBC, and naturally you have more of a chance if you get higher!
Reply 2
As you know, law is extremely competitive, so your going to need to get AAB predictions if you want them to consider you. They may accept ABB or lower, but I wouldn't risk it.
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies.

The thing that sucks is that from what my school has told us so far is that they usually predict us to get the same grades at the end of A2 as what we got in AS and rarely any higher (meaning some begging might have to come into play).
Reply 4
Original post by Use Err Name
Thanks for your replies.

The thing that sucks is that from what my school has told us so far is that they usually predict us to get the same grades at the end of A2 as what we got in AS and rarely any higher (meaning some begging might have to come into play).

you're right that does kinda suck, at my school you mostly get predicted a grade above what you get at AS - unless you've been pretty bad throughout the year :biggrin:
Someone who I know applied for Law at Surrey, with a prediction of 3 As at A2 - but in his ASs he achieved something like D, D, E, U, and still applied - and got a place! (bearing in mind he applied saying he was going to re-take all his AS levels) Basically what I'm trying to say is that if your predicted grades meet what they want and you've got a good personal statement, that's all they need for them to consider you :smile: you don't need to get the actual AS grades.
Reply 6
Original post by blue_star221
Someone who I know applied for Law at Surrey, with a prediction of 3 As at A2 - but in his ASs he achieved something like D, D, E, U, and still applied - and got a place! (bearing in mind he applied saying he was going to re-take all his AS levels) Basically what I'm trying to say is that if your predicted grades meet what they want and you've got a good personal statement, that's all they need for them to consider you :smile: you don't need to get the actual AS grades.

Where do you say that you're retaking certain subjects/modules? In the personal statement?
Original post by WilliamG
Where do you say that you're retaking certain subjects/modules? In the personal statement?

No, you write it in your education/qualifications section on UCAS.

You fill out all of your AS exams and results first (even those you are resitting) then put all of you A2 exams as pending. Then you also write your AS exams that you're resitting and put those as pending, then put your overall AS grade again in as pending for Jan/June 2013.

You can mention it in your PS if you wish but it'll be a waste of space as your PS isn't the place to discuss your resits as they can get this information from the rest of your UCAS form. If there are personal reasons why you didn't perform as well as you hoped in your AS exams then your teacher (not you) should mention this in their reference.
Original post by Use Err Name
Thanks for your replies.

If Sussex want AAA-AAB then you'd ideally need to be predicted AAA to be considered. It is likely that they will only give AAB offers in special circumstances and you need to meet each universities requirements in full. If you're predicted AAB by your school then you could apply to Sussex and see what happens, as long as you ensure that you have 4 other appropriate choices and that you are more than happy to go to any of your other choices. The danger is if applicants set their heart on one university where they don't really meet the entry requirements and/or its a highly competitive course where the likelihood is that they will get rejected and consequently don't really put much thought into other choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending