The Student Room Group

Natwest 16-25 railcard

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by dothestrand
If you're going to a university some distance away from home, or just travel by train a lot, the railcard will pay for itself in terms of the money you'll save, so still worth getting.

My firm uni is reasonably close to where I live, and because I can't leave stuff there over the holidays anyway my mum told me she'd be able to pick me up and drop me off when term ends and starts. Do you still think it'll be worth it? I think I'll wait to see if I get into my firm first... I'm not sure how much I'm going to use the train tbh
If you wait until you get your actual student card, you get a discount when you buy 16-25 railcards anyway (: xx
I currently have a natwest current account, if I upgrade to a student account will I get a free 5year 16-25 railcard?? Because I heard they changed the rules for it...
Reply 23
Original post by levantine
I currently have a natwest current account, if I upgrade to a student account will I get a free 5year 16-25 railcard?? Because I heard they changed the rules for it...

I also have a NatWest current account and am unsure if there still giving you a free rail-card when you upgrade. There website im pretty sure hasnt been updated since last year! :frown:
Original post by swarla9
I also have a NatWest current account and am unsure if there still giving you a free rail-card when you upgrade. There website im pretty sure hasnt been updated since last year! :frown:

One student website says they aren't doing it at all this year, another says it's only for existing customers as of 1st July. I'm gonna wait until August to sort mine out in the hope some news crops up fairly soon! Xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by swarla9

I asked them and said you need a current accoutn before april
Reply 26
I opened a bank account a month or so ago with them and I mentioned it to the woman and she didn't say they weren't doing it anymore. She just said you have to have a current account, then move over to a student account.
I write and research a student bank account every year for Save the Student and I have been made aware that the railcard will not be available to new customers this year.

All of the banks have stated that they are less likely to concentrate on freebies this year as they feel they detract from the actual key facts and figures.

Hope that helps.
Original post by The_Jakal
I write and research a student bank account every year for Save the Student and I have been made aware that the railcard will not be available to new customers this year.

All of the banks have stated that they are less likely to concentrate on freebies this year as they feel they detract from the actual key facts and figures.

Hope that helps.

Silly really, students are not exactly going to ignore the benefits of an overdraft (that and a railcard is all that most banks offer.) Anyway I got my railcard for 2012/2013 through the post this morning so I am not complaining:biggrin:
Reply 29

Do you know if existing Natwest customers will still get it (ones with a current account who will be changing to a student account for 2012/13), and if so how long you need to have had the account for to class as 'existing'?
Original post by StacFace
Do you know if existing Natwest customers will still get it (ones with a current account who will be changing to a student account for 2012/13), and if so how long you need to have had the account for to class as 'existing'?

It's a tricky area and I could not give you a definite answer as they have not fully released their figures yet.

However, last year it was for current customers who had been with them for around 6 months but even then some complained of not being able to get the railcard for numerous reasons.

My advice would be to wait until the official stats are released and then make a decision from there.

Hope this helps. :smile:
It's a tricky area and I could not give you a definite answer as they have not fully released their figures yet.

However, last year it was for current customers who had been with them for around 6 months but even then some complained of not being able to get the railcard for numerous reasons.

My advice would be to wait until the official stats are released and then make a decision from there.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Hello (:
Have you heard anything yet?
I'm just worrying about waiting for Natwest to bring out their pitch, but then finding out they aren't doing the railcard etc and then end up struggling to get an account elsewhere because I waited too long?
Sorry to hassle you
Xx

Original post by Holly-Robyn
Hello (:
I'm just worrying about waiting for Natwest to bring out their pitch, but then finding out they aren't doing the railcard etc and then end up struggling to get an account elsewhere because I waited too long?
Sorry to hassle you
Xx

You could pop into your local branch and see what they can sort out.

They still issue railcards to students on the old student account (I'm still getting them through the post anyway), so they clearly have a manufacturing contract or process set up to do it.

I don't see why, if you pushed hard enough with someone at the bank, they couldn't get you one.

They probably pay a reduced rate for them anyway.
Original post by DarkWhite
You could pop into your local branch and see what they can sort out.

They still issue railcards to students on the old student account (I'm still getting them through the post anyway), so they clearly have a manufacturing contract or process set up to do it.

I don't see why, if you pushed hard enough with someone at the bank, they couldn't get you one.

They probably pay a reduced rate for them anyway.

Yeah I went in on Friday, and the bloke I asked had no idea and couldn't get hold of the manager... Frustrating! Haha, thanks so much for your help, I'll let you know if I hear anything (:
Xxx

Reply 34
For anyone that wants to attempt to get a railcard, open a new Natwest account (or use an existing one) and place all of your money into there. As long as you have at least a few hundred or a thousand+, call their dedicated student railcard helpline that you can find on their main website and explain that you would love to stay with Natwest, but X bank is offering X introductory offer and that you will be looking to move over to them. Explain that the ONLY reason you had opened a Natwest account was for the railcard offer and that you'll be looking to move your thousands over to the other bank, as well as the ~£9000 you'll be receiving this September, as a result. Stand your ground and don't say anything else - let them talk.

That is the best shot.
Original post by Holly-Robyn
Hello (:
Sorry to hassle you
Xx

Hi, I'm still waiting on the banks to release their figures but unfortunately it seems as if Natwest are deliberating over the railcard. At the moment it does not look like it will be offered to new students (although this could change again).

You can open an account as late as you like, the banks are unlikely to turn you away for being too late to open an account (for example, a lot of students open their account in Fresher's week).

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help at this time.
Natwest is definitely phasing out the railcard offer... they are telling lots of existing students they aren't eligible as they aren't using their account as their main account, when most of us are. (I know I definitely am, 5 direct debits/month and student loan payments going in...)

And their customer service is shocking. You can't even ring the branch itself anymore. Avoid.
Reply 37
I've been told I should be able to get a railcard if I upgrade my existing Natwest account! :u:
Reply 38
I've had a letter from Natwest saying my account will be automatically changed to a student account and that i will get a free 4 year rail card! :smile:
Reply 39
Does anyone know if we have to wait for the final UCAS Confirmation letter in August before switching to a student acount, or if we can do it now?

Thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest