The Student Room Group

Spanish with english lit or international business?

I originally wanted to study English lit with Spanish but I'm now thinking International business with Spanish would be more practical and lead to more job opportunities?

opinions please? :smile:
Original post by jayjamine
I originally wanted to study English lit with Spanish but I'm now thinking International business with Spanish would be more practical and lead to more job opportunities?

opinions please? :smile:

Do you actually have an interest in studying international business though?
Plenty of things will lead to jobs (including English lit) but it's only worth doing if you genuinely want to study business and definitely don't want to study English lit. I could have done a medicine degree because it's more practical and has a guaranteed job at the end of it, however, I have zero interest in medicine and no interest in the sciences so therefore it would not have been a good idea for me to do that degree.

One degree course over another isn't going to get you a job. It's what you do during your degree which will get you a job and you can do that regardless of which subject you study. Doing a degree in business isn't going to get you into the business world in the same way that doing a degree in politics isn't going to make you a politician.
Reply 2
^ No better advice then this one.
Hope that gona work!
Reply 3
Not over enthusiastic about it but I'm sure I could make it work, just unclear about what I could do with English Lit, my friend has just graduated and has ended up as a receptionist so just got me thinking.

Thanks for the comment :smile:
Original post by jayjamine
Not over enthusiastic about it but I'm sure I could make it work, just unclear about what I could do with English Lit, my friend has just graduated and has ended up as a receptionist so just got me thinking.

Thanks for the comment :smile:

There will also be lots of business graduates who are also working as receptionists. Business courses are one of the most popular courses applied for at university (something like 80,000 people applied for 2012 entry) meaning there are a hell of a lot of business graduates around and it is sometimes said that business is a pointless degree to study anyway as if you are seriously interested in businesses it's better to get a professional skill like accountancy, marketing or similar rather than simply "business". I'm not saying that I agree with this notion at all, more that I've heard it said in many different professional environments. As I said the degree you do won't get you a job, it's all the other stuff you do whilst at university which will get you a job - I got my job as a direct consequence of volunteer work I'd done whilst I was at university. Yes, having a degree is good but it's just a way to tick a box on a form saying a degree is a requirement. You should study something you enjoy then ensure you get appropriate work experience at university and use your summers well.
Reply 5
international business sounds like you will get more opertunities but which one do your prefer the most. its the simple rule of what you like the most and will you enjoy it?? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending