The Student Room Group

Which kind of job would you prefer?

Poll

Which will you pick?

Job A : Pays around £18000 per annum, generally 9-5 with some OT every now and then, though very rarely required.

Job B : Pays around £24000 per annum, mostly a 9-5 job but you do need to commute to it around 1 hour each day and it is located in a fairly expensive and posh area and you'll be surrounded by very posh people who basically show up in Range Rovers. Generally no OT but no excuses will be tolerated for being late to work under any circumstance, basically 3x late per month and you're out of a job.

Job C : Pays £6000 per year in basic, but requires you to do sales. Generally if you don't sell according to your target you be looking at £36000 per annum at bare minimum and possible for £60000 too. The more hours you put in the better your chances is at closing a sale, but you are free to just sit around and not close a sale too for as long as you show up to work.

Job D : Pays £60000 per annum in basic, has a company car (a BMW 3er), bonus of around £30000 if you do well, average working week = 70 hours per week. A lot of moving about required but usually you can be home for bed.

Job E : Pays £48000 per annum, bonus possibility of up to £200000 per year, company car provided (BMW 3er), average work week = 80 hours per week. Lots of travelling some of it overseas (up to 14 days at a go)

Job F : Pays £8 per hour, up to 20 hours per week. You can make your own hours though it must be agreed upon by your supervisor who is an absolute bitch/prick. Some manual work required and it certainly won't be in a nice office environment.

All of it is in a field you don't mind doing and this is assuming you are no longer a student. Which would you pick and why?
(edited 11 years ago)
Job A for me. One of the reasons I am not sure about teaching is because of the long hours and how much it can take over your life. The idea of a 9-5 job, where you can leave it at work, sounds great. :smile:
Original post by Herr
Job A : Pays around £18000 per annum, generally 9-5 with some OT every now and then, though very rarely required.

Job B : Pays around £24000 per annum, mostly a 9-5 job but you do need to commute to it around 1 hour each day and it is located in a fairly expensive and posh area and you'll be surrounded by very posh people who basically show up in Range Rovers. Generally no OT but no excuses will be tolerated for being late to work under any circumstance, basically 3x late per month and you're out of a job.

Job C : Pays £6000 per year in basic, but requires you to do sales. Generally if you don't sell according to your target you be looking at £36000 per annum at bare minimum and possible for £60000 too. The more hours you put in the better your chances is at closing a sale, but you are free to just sit around and not close a sale too for as long as you show up to work.

Job D : Pays £60000 per annum in basic, has a company car (a BMW 3er), bonus of around £30000 if you do well, average working week = 70 hours per week. A lot of moving about required but usually you can be home for bed.

Job E : Pays £48000 per annum, bonus possibility of up to £200000 per year, company car provided (BMW 3er), average work week = 80 hours per week. Lots of travelling some of it overseas (up to 14 days at a go)

Job F : Pays £8 per hour, up to 20 hours per week. You can make your own hours though it must be agreed upon by your supervisor who is an absolute bitch/prick. Some manual work required and it certainly won't be in a nice office environment.

All of it is in a field you don't mind doing and this is assuming you are no longer a student. Which would you pick and why?

As long as it's not as unstable as you suggest, job C. Otherwise job D (sounds like a corporate law/banking type level of work). Job E sounds horrendous - 80 hours a week + commuting would be unfathomably tiring. Even job D is pushing it! It depends on the work though - you say it's in a field I wouldn't mind doing - if it was a job I really liked then I might try out E, but I would probably settle for D (wouldn't go for C then as I'd be motivated to work a lot so I might as well go for the higher pay).
Reply 3
None of the above.
Reply 4
Lol this is TSR. Where is the 100k + bonuses for Investment Banker?
None of them really, but C if I have to.
A.

My reasons:

B: I don't think I could cope, in all honesty, with being constantly surrounded by luxury whilst living on an 'average' wage. I lived in poor areas my entire life so it would be a huge culture shock and I imagine it would make me miserable. It's one of the reasons I don't read glossy magazines etc - I'd rather not surround myself with constant reminders that other people have a lot more money/freedom than I do. It gets me down. It's entirely my problem, not theirs. Therefore, I would not take job B.

C. I would never do commission. I want something with some stability where I know that if I fall ill then I'll still get paid decently etc.

D: As per C.

E: 80 hours a week is insane. My Dad works 60 and he is very tired. It would leave little time for a social life so all of the travelling would be pointless really.

F. Can't be doing with a crappy supervisor.
Reply 7
Original post by M1011
None of the above.

What would you prefer then?

Original post by Sagacious
Lol this is TSR. Where is the 100k + bonuses for Investment Banker?

2 of the jobs are investment banker type jobs :biggrin: 100k + bonuses are a bit harder to come by these days.

Original post by ironandwine
None of them really, but C if I have to.

What did you not like about the others?
Reply 8
Original post by affinity89
Job A for me. One of the reasons I am not sure about teaching is because of the long hours and how much it can take over your life. The idea of a 9-5 job, where you can leave it at work, sounds great. :smile:

Vast majority of office jobs are those that you could switch off after work is over :biggrin:

However a lot of them can be quite mundane, if you feel teaching is for you then you shouldn't let the hours put you off.
Reply 9
Depends on what stage of your career really - probably job B for me now, but I wouldn't be very happy with that salary in a couple of years time. I'm not sure how likely any of those scenarios are for engineering jobs, which is where I see my career. Interesting to think about though - my instinct was to say I couldn't work 70/80 hours a week, but my last job saw some crazy weeks - depends a little how you define working hours, but some were well over 100 hours any way you look at it. On the flip side, there were times when we just weren't required on a Friday, or when I'd be sent off sailing for a week or two. Damn I miss that job :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Herr
What would you prefer then?

Wouldn't like to be in a commission based role, but a performance based bonus would be nice. 80 hours is just to much IMO, not worth it unless you really love the job, ideally I wouldn't want to go over 50 hours (ideally :tongue:). Salary wise, 60k+.

Of course if we're talking straight out of uni then half the salary and up the hours by 10 :frown:
I like E... Travelling overseas :love:
Reply 12
I think I am up to working hard and earn more than average for few years then will start to work for my own business.
Reply 13
Original post by AspiringGenius
I like E... Travelling overseas :love:

It's somewhat different travelling overseas for work and for pleasure :biggrin:

When you travel for business you are most likely to be most acquainted with your hotel room and the venue of the meetings after meetings that you'd be needing to attend.

Original post by vuii2012
I think I am up to working hard and earn more than average for few years then will start to work for my own business.

Many people have that strategy :smile: It's a good one too :biggrin:
Reply 14
Thank you. :smile:
E

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
I've reconsidered. I want to do job E and then do job F on the side. 100 hours like a boss.
Reply 17
Job A for me, less stress and I can do what I like

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending