The Student Room Group

Advice please, scared ive failed exam and will miss offer, I WAS ILL!

Hi there

Ive never had any problems with exams before (not even nerves or anything). One of my conditions to get a place on my desired uni course was to pass my Open University Exam in June. Anyway the last couple of months ive been having serious health problems. Ive been suffering from stress and anxiety as ive been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (painful constant toilet problems) and due to this ive been very anaemic (low iron) and having dizzy spells which has really knocked me around. Ive actually been signed off work too.

Anyway, I thought id be ok in the exam and didnt want to postpone it otherwise I wouldnt get my uni place. Basically I sat the exam and because of being anaemic I was literally falling asleep and felt so ill throughout. I just couldnt think or concentrate and my mind kept going blank as I stuggled to even stay awake and even write! I felt awful through the whole thing.

I did ok on the first question ( Ithink) but each one is worth 33% but terrible on the other two (making up another 66%) as the time went on. Now im so worried im going to fail and wont get into uni due to failing the conditions of my offer. I just cant stop thinking about it and wondering what will happen.

Open Uni advised me to send in an E39 form which tells the examiner that I was ill and obviously not at my best and also ive provided doctors evidence to them which theyve been fine and really helpful with.

The problem is I dont know what to do in terms of uni as I dont want to make a fuss out of nothing in case I do pass (find out in August) but then I dont know if I should mention it to them in case there is something they can do and theres a way round it and a way that they will still let me on the course. Id really appreciate any shared experiences or some advice as I really dont know what to do and its really screwing me up.

Pink x

ps the uni course is extremely competitive so im so lucky i got a Cond offer as I got rejected last year. Worried that this is my only chance and ive blown it:frown:. May not be as lucky next year if i have to do it all again.
Reply 1
Original post by pink_flamingo
Hi there

Ive never had any problems with exams before (not even nerves or anything). One of my conditions to get a place on my desired uni course was to pass my Open University Exam in June. Anyway the last couple of months ive been having serious health problems. Ive been suffering from stress and anxiety as ive been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (painful constant toilet problems) and due to this ive been very anaemic (low iron) and having dizzy spells which has really knocked me around. Ive actually been signed off work too.

Anyway, I thought id be ok in the exam and didnt want to postpone it otherwise I wouldnt get my uni place. Basically I sat the exam and because of being anaemic I was literally falling asleep and felt so ill throughout. I just couldnt think or concentrate and my mind kept going blank as I stuggled to even stay awake and even write! I felt awful through the whole thing.

I did ok on the first question ( Ithink) but each one is worth 33% but terrible on the other two (making up another 66%) as the time went on. Now im so worried im going to fail and wont get into uni due to failing the conditions of my offer. I just cant stop thinking about it and wondering what will happen.

Open Uni advised me to send in an E39 form which tells the examiner that I was ill and obviously not at my best and also ive provided doctors evidence to them which theyve been fine and really helpful with.

The problem is I dont know what to do in terms of uni as I dont want to make a fuss out of nothing in case I do pass (find out in August) but then I dont know if I should mention it to them in case there is something they can do and theres a way round it and a way that they will still let me on the course. Id really appreciate any shared experiences or some advice as I really dont know what to do and its really screwing me up.

Pink x

ps the uni course is extremely competitive so im so lucky i got a Cond offer as I got rejected last year. Worried that this is my only chance and ive blown it:frown:. May not be as lucky next year if i have to do it all again.

You can also tell your university which you applied to of your extenuating circumstance, so if they accept, which they will in your case with your medical evidence. will give you lenience in your grades.
Reply 2
Original post by pink_flamingo
Hi there

Pink x

Let them know :smile:

If you do miss your offer then they can take this into consideration, meaning you might still get on the course :smile:

If you still meet your offer despite telling them about your illness you'll get in.

It's going to help either way.
Call the uni and tell them. They'll then tell you that they want some evidence etc. and you can post that in. They can then take this into account.
Reply 4
Thanks everyone. I will give them a ring tomorrow then. I really dont want to throw this opportunity away, no way! Thanks for your advice. Im sure they'll be happier if im upfront and try to sort it out now rather than leave it until its a problem. Cheers:beerglass: x
Reply 5
Just ask for help/ a resit due to 'Extenuating Circumstances'. If you issue them with a 'Doctor's Note' bcking up your ilnesses, they should be able to help you meet your university offer through help such as accomadating you in the test or they can offer you a resit. This actually happened to me last week. I was ill for 2weeks and missed my 2 final exams. I did this and I was allowed to resit with no problems!

Don't worry, they should help you!!

Good luck :wink:
If you are regected, have you tried that Capital School of Business and Management University Placement Service? I did this last year, and in 6months i will get Bournemouth which was my first choice. I get in 3rd year as well (pending one of my results) meaning that it took me 2.5years to get the degree i got declined for. If i got accepted it would have taken 3 years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending