The Student Room Group

Missed my grades this year - study and revision tips please?

So I've just finished my 3rd year of a Biological Sciences degree and transferred onto an undergraduate Msci in Biomedicine. Now I needed a 2:i for this but I got a 2:ii (59% average) but the tutors let me transfer regardless. However, its given me a bit of a wake up call that maybe my study techniques over the past year haven't been as good as they could be.

So my questions are: is it possible to get a 2:i next year if I work hard (or even a first just out of interest) and secondly, do you have any good study techniques and revision plans that might help?

This year, I made notes for every lecture but didn't do the extra reading until I started my revision about 6 weeks before my exams when I also made a new set of notes for everything, read through it all and did about 80% of the available past papers. Evidently this didn't work as my average dropped by about 5% since second year so I'd really appreciate any study tips!

~Sammie
Do you meet your lecturers enough and do you know what they're looking for?

I'm in a similar position btw, I ended up scrapping a 2.1 despite feeling pretty confident about my results at the time.
Hmm, well we don't have scheduled tutor meetings anymore so I guess there's been very little guidance on how to go about learning/exams/the modules. Maybe if I periodically ask to go and see my lecturers to check I'm on the right track then?

Original post by Obsessive-badger
So I've just finished my 3rd year of a Biological Sciences degree and transferred onto an undergraduate Msci in Biomedicine. Now I needed a 2:i for this but I got a 2:ii (59% average) but the tutors let me transfer regardless. However, its given me a bit of a wake up call that maybe my study techniques over the past year haven't been as good as they could be.

So my questions are: is it possible to get a 2:i next year if I work hard (or even a first just out of interest) and secondly, do you have any good study techniques and revision plans that might help?

This year, I made notes for every lecture but didn't do the extra reading until I started my revision about 6 weeks before my exams when I also made a new set of notes for everything, read through it all and did about 80% of the available past papers. Evidently this didn't work as my average dropped by about 5% since second year so I'd really appreciate any study tips!

~Sammie

When I revise, it's time consuming, but I talk to myself like I'm giving a lecture. I struggle to remember things reading them alone, so talking really does help commit things to memory. I guess just doing questions too and repeatedly checking that you know things. But that's just me. I feel ridiculous at the time, and then fairly chuffed with the exam results - maybe try that?
Reply 4

~Sammie

Which university do you attend?
Original post by Hillbilly101
When I revise, it's time consuming, but I talk to myself like I'm giving a lecture. I struggle to remember things reading them alone, so talking really does help commit things to memory. I guess just doing questions too and repeatedly checking that you know things. But that's just me. I feel ridiculous at the time, and then fairly chuffed with the exam results - maybe try that?

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me - thanks :smile:

Oh and I'm at Lancaster Uni
Hmm, well we don't have scheduled tutor meetings anymore so I guess there's been very little guidance on how to go about learning/exams/the modules. Maybe if I periodically ask to go and see my lecturers to check I'm on the right track then?

Well, yeah. Lecturers do respond better if they realise you're prepared to do exactly as they say. Don't mince words, tell them you want a first and ask them what you need to do to achieve that.

Bring in work for them to skim through, even if it's assessed you can ask them a related/roundabout question which wil put you on the right track.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest