The Student Room Group

Need a reason to ask for rejection from firm uni.

(edited 11 years ago)
Just call them and ask them to reject you? (Tell them you've been naughty)
Reply 2
Original post by hardnutjoe
Basically, I've already applied and chosen both my firm and insurance offers. Firm being Northumbria, and insurance being Lincoln. And I want to ask Northumbria to reject me so that I go straight to my insurance rather than to clearing.

The actual reason for this is so that I will be closer to my girlfriend, but I know that this probably wouldn't suffice if I were to explain to Northumbria, so I'm not sure what to tell them, what reason could I give?

And would I have to give a reason to Lincoln as well? Or would they just be happy that I'm changing them to my firm?

You really want to give up the uni you chose (which is better than your insurance), to be with your girlfriend, when you could break up at any time? It's ridiculous that you could make a decision based on that. What if you break up in the first month of uni and you wish you'd just stayed with Northumbria? Don't ruin your future because of some girl.

There will be other girls at uni. How can you expect to still be together with her when you're at uni, when you'll see her much less and be making new friends who you'll see much more, and probably find a new girl who you like better than her?
(edited 11 years ago)
Contact Lincoln first, because there is more of a chance of them saying no than there is Northumbria - it's not a huge chance, but it's more of a chance. If Lincoln agree, then contact Northumbria. Another option is, if both are mutually agreeable, you can get it swapped so it's Lincoln firm/Northumbria insurance. EDIT: If you go for swapping, you need to contact UCAS to get them to actually do it. If you just get Northumbria to reject you, you don't need to contact UCAS.

Girlfriend might not cut it - family probably would. However, there's a decent chance you won't need one at all. I don't remember supplying a reason when I did this, I just asked them to reject me. So I'd say only give a reason if they ask for one.

I won't go into the 'destroying your future for your girlfriend' talk - I'm sure someone else will do it instead. I would just ask, would you be happy if you did this, arranged to go to Lincoln ... and then you broke up?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Basically, I've already applied and chosen both my firm and insurance offers. Firm being Northumbria, and insurance being Lincoln. And I want to ask Northumbria to reject me so that I go straight to my insurance rather than to clearing.

The actual reason for this is so that I will be closer to my girlfriend, but I know that this probably wouldn't suffice if I were to explain to Northumbria, so I'm not sure what to tell them, what reason could I give?

And would I have to give a reason to Lincoln as well? Or would they just be happy that I'm changing them to my firm?

And if you break up?

That would be awkward.
Original post by Wraysford
You really want to give up the uni you chose (which is better than your insurance

Give him some credit, he did also choose Lincoln - I'm assuming that he at least likes it.
Reply 6
You really want to give up the uni you chose (which is better than your insurance), to be with your girlfriend, when you could break up at any time? It's ridiculous that you could make a decision based on that. What if you break up in the first month of uni and you wish you'd just stayed with Northumbria? Don't ruin your future because of some girl.

There will be other girls at uni. How can you expect to still be together with her when you're at uni, when you'll see her much less and be making new friends who you'll see much more, and probably find a new girl who you like better than her?

This!
Original post by TheSownRose
Contact Lincoln first, because there is more of a chance of them saying no than there is Northumbria - it's not a huge chance, but it's more of a chance. If Lincoln agree, then contact Northumbria. Another option is, if both are mutually agreeable, you can get it swapped so it's Lincoln firm/Northumbria insurance.

Girlfriend might not cut it - family probably would. However, there's a decent chance you won't need one at all. I don't remember supplying a reason when I did this, I just asked them to reject me. So I'd say only give a reason if they ask for one.

I won't go into the 'destroying your future for your girlfriend' talk - I'm sure someone else will do it instead. I would just ask, would you be happy if you did this, arranged to go to Lincoln ... and then you broke up?

Such a good, well thought-out response. The hystericals were always going to love this thread, so it's nice to see something reasoned.
Reply 8
I'm honestly not fussed about which Uni I go to. It was a really hard choice between Northumbria and Lincoln, and I chose Northumbria solely for the student life, but I know lots of people who have gone to Lincoln who are having an awesome time. So even if we did break up I'd still be happy with my uni choice, now that's out of the way.

So you chose Northumbria for the student life; parties, drinking, pubs, clubs, bars, and you didn't think you'd find girls you wanted to get with or go out with, even though you have a girlfriend who won't be there?

You obviously are fussed which uni you go to, or you would have firmed Lincoln and not have made this thread. You know you should stick with Northumbria, but your girlfriend is holding you back.
Reply 9
I'm honestly not fussed about which Uni I go to. It was a really hard choice between Northumbria and Lincoln, and I chose Northumbria solely for the student life, but I know lots of people who have gone to Lincoln who are having an awesome time. So even if we did break up I'd still be happy with my uni choice, now that's out of the way.

i wanted to go to a different uni so i'd be closer to my boyfriend but i quickly realised that's an utterly stupid idea. especially as you will want to spend time with uni friends sometimes and not feel guilty that you're not spending time with her instead. the person who said you'll probably break up and find someone better at uni is absolutely stupid and wrong - there are loads of people in relationships at uni. but it is important to develop your uni life separately from your life with your girlfriend.

however, if you really want to change to a different uni, see this from UCAS:

Q: I've met the grades for my firm offer but I now want to go to my insurance choice. What should I do?

A: You have made a commitment to your firm choice so if you no longer want to attend the course you should contact the university or college to discuss your situation. As soon as you were accepted at your firm choice, your insurance choice would have been informed - this means that the place is no longer held for you, even if you have met the terms of the offer, so you will need to contact them to see if they can still offer you the place. If your firm choice agrees to withdraw your offer, you will be entered into Clearing - if your insurance choice can still offer you a place, they can make you an offer in Clearing.

you don't really have to give a proper reason because it's up to you really, but you must make sure your insurance choice is still willing to accept you.
Original post by TheMeister
Such a good, well thought-out response. The hystericals were always going to love this thread, so it's nice to see something reasoned.

Thank you. :smile: I could see how this thread was going to develop, I wanted to make sure he actually got the necessary information as well.
Just dump them through email. Give them the its not you, its me treatment.

I would never advocate anybody sacrificing their future for a partner at this stage of life, and I know that a lot of relationships don't last when uni comes into the picture.

However, this doesn't mean she is just some girl, and that he'll find someone better at uni. He might, but we don't know their relationship.

OP - I would say you should choose what's best for your future, and don't make the decision purely based on her. I daresay that if your relationship is strong enough to withstand you being at Lincoln (assuming she is elsewhere), it can withstand you being at Northumbria.
Even if they did end up going to different unis doesn't mean they're going to split up! I have lots of friends who are still in a relationship with someone who goes to a different uni.
Original post by canŵio
however, if you really want to change to a different uni, see this from UCAS:

you don't really have to give a proper reason because it's up to you really, but you must make sure your insurance choice is still willing to accept you.

That advice is for getting out after results day. Most of it is still relevant (make sure your insurance will accept you, ask your firm to reject you) ... but, at this stage, you wouldn't be entered to Clearing if you got your firm to reject you (assuming you had an insurance who you didn't get to reject you) - you would go to your insurance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
This will not end well....
someones under the thumb
It's so annoying how some people seem to think that you should break off all relationships before you go to university, because you're obviously, definitely going to meet someone better at university :rolleyes:

OP, do whatever makes you happy - you've been given some great advice about what you actually wanted to know about, which is how to change your choices, ignore the people who say that all relationships should end when you go to uni because chances are they've never had a relationship strong enough to survive staying together long distance :smile: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending