The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Do we need contents insurance?

I was wondering if the college has any sort of cover for possessions in your room? Obviously doors are locked etc but I'd be gutted if my laptop or anything was stolen/damaged, so if the uni can't cover it then I'll have to put insurance into my budget!

if insurance is advisable, what's the best? Endsleigh seems to be popular but it's quite expensive to cover valuable items - i don't have an ipod, speakers, expensive phone etc but my laptop is my brother's and it's worth about £1400. what would be the best option to cover that? (including loss, damage, theft)

Thanks for any advice :smile:
Reply 1
Check as often you will be covered on your parents home insurance, I was.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Quagers
Check as often you will be covered on your parents home insurance, I was.

You wouldn't be covered by your parent's home insurance, how would you be? The only thing you could claim on under your parent's insurance is loss or damage to objects outside of the home, but you'd need to check the level of the cover as the default level of cover isn't very much for this.

Otherwise, if you feel you need cover then you'll need your own contents insurance to cover contents in your own room, just do a search on confused.com, gocompare.com, etc
Original post by canŵio
I was wondering if the college has any sort of cover for possessions in your room? Obviously doors are locked etc but I'd be gutted if my laptop or anything was stolen/damaged, so if the uni can't cover it then I'll have to put insurance into my budget!

if insurance is advisable, what's the best? Endsleigh seems to be popular but it's quite expensive to cover valuable items - i don't have an ipod, speakers, expensive phone etc but my laptop is my brother's and it's worth about £1400. what would be the best option to cover that? (including loss, damage, theft)

I think my uni I'm going to in September has content insurance paid for within the Hall's Fees- so I assume others would to in your first year. However if it doesn't then just get insurance yourself if you're worried about your stuff. Places like http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/ are apparently quite cheap.
Reply 4
Original post by rocket0612
You wouldn't be covered by your parent's home insurance, how would you be?

Beats me, but we rang and checked specifically and the insurance company confirmed I was covered up to £2000.
Original post by Quagers
Beats me, but we rang and checked specifically and the insurance company confirmed I was covered up to £2000.

It must be for personal possessions outside of home eg for the co-op:

Our personal possessions insurance is an optional extra of our contents insurance that offers you a choice of insuring:

Unspecified personal possessions which includes:

personal items (including laptops), valuables and clothing normally worn or carried outside the home up to £2,000 per article, pair, set or collection

Although by not living at home and claiming through that would be deemed fraudulent and I doubt they would pay if you told them say you has stuff stolen from your uni bedroom - you'd need to lie.
Reply 6
What part of this do you not get! We rang the insurance company and specifically checked! So no I wouldn't need to lie at all.
Well I was half right - a good article explains what you are covered for under your parent's insurance and what you aren't covered for under the laptop heading:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/aug/21/student-guide-best-insurance-deals
Reply 8
yes, speaking from experience, we had a housefire a few years back, the claim totalled £50, 000, thats before the builders wages were paid for 6 months..
Original post by canŵio

I'm pretty sure college doesn't cover for you. And Endsleigh I think is generally the best easy to find deal out there - I've never seen anyone suggest better.
Reply 10
I wouldn't really bother with contents insurance if your living in halls, but if you have an expensive laptop why not look into just laptop insurance, I believe Endsleigh charge extra for laptop coverage.

Important note, I managed to spill coke on my netbook this year; it was fairly old anyway so it was a good excuse to get a new one. But this is definitely a good cover to look into.

Quick Reply

Latest