Why do people hate short guys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 1992dean
I like this girl :P
OP missing a complimentary comment....

:/

Original post by Classical Liberal
Some short guys have a really bad persona. The general vibe they give off can be quite depressing.

I know a fair few shorter men who are very desirable, and what they all have in common is that they do not have that short guy negative persona.

Could you explain that a little more

Thanks

Original post by Classical Liberal
I am not entirely sure what it is, there are loads of factors obviously.

One that strikes me is that short guys with a cool persona tend to smile a lot. They do not look ****ing miserable and moody. That look can work on a taller guy but on a shorter man for some reason, looking moody, grumpy etc is really bad.

Also in my experience (being somebody who likes combat training) men who are shorter who also know how to fight tend to be much more self assured. They are able to command respect without getting angsty. I don't know precisely what it is, but it definitely shines through. This phenomena is particularly apparent in sports teams and the like. Sometimes short men find is impossible to get any genuine respect whilst other times they can be in complete control.

For example in the cricket team I now play in I get plenty of respect. However I actually went and played against the team I used to play for a few weeks ago. I made an umpiring decision that the captain of the other team did not approve and he called me a ****. It was very weird because nobody would say that to me any more. But the guy who called me a **** knew me as my old less confident self so in his mind I was still that kid he could push around.

Infact, that was a really cool experience because it made me realise how much I have changed.

Thanks for that, i get you in a way. Its hard for anyone to see how they come across

:smile:

I think one of the worst things is receiving pity for being my stature. That is just going anger me. I didn't ask for it - I don't want it - and don't assume I want it either. People often see shorter people as easy to push around or power hungry :/
Reply 81
Original post by ct2k7
I assume you haven't seen things from my perspective - because it certainly seems that way. I was accused of having a complex simply because I was progressing further than my peers in something - crappy example, but still demonstrates the double standard.

Actually, this complex hasn't been proven in humans. Some small research that was done concluded that larger humans were more aggressive.

You might not need to tell them, some do tell us short people that we're inferior, and some subliminally suggest so in the way they act and react. There is certainly a double standard though.

I have seen it from your perspective as I was very short, 5 foot until I grew. Just ignore the people who say that, they're idiots, not worthy of acknowldement
Reply 82
Original post by hiding12
I have seen it from your perspective as I was very short, 5 foot until I grew. Just ignore the people who say that, they're idiots, not worthy of acknowldement

The problem is not hearing it once in a while - it's hearing it every single damned day - and having some idiot trying to prove themselves bigger than me.

I was at the gym earlier, doing some bicep curls with weights, not big weights - thought I can if I wanted to: 15lbs.

This younger but taller kid, around 14-15 and about 5'10" etc came over and watched me for a while, then decided the take the biggest dumbbell that was there (30lbs) and try to do some curls. Yeah, he managed to pick it off the rack, but that's as far as he got and he dropped the thing like a brick. I could really do without people trying to prove that they're in some way superior to me. (We were the only two people in the mezzanine). No conversation was initiated, no eye contact was maintained.

I've already been nearly killed by someone directly disobeying my orders as a pilot in command in an aircraft before - I tell you - it was not fun.
Original post by ct2k7
What I have noticed is that guys seem to be much more flexible, yet girls are somewhat rigid. You'll also find that those wanting bigger breasts and actually caring about that in the minority. Whilst I agree that trying not to take notice is what smaller people should do - it's certainly not easy.

Florida does have somewhat of a celebrity culture - but I'm abut 2 hours out of Miami in a city of a more mature population. I rarely visit the metropolitan Miami. I would like to see that movie though!

I always measure attractiveness from the inside out - everything else just falls into place. I'm at my first relationship at 18 (19 now).
I do know that most guys are not rigid on breast size, in fact, very flexible - if you can offer them something, they're going to grab it.

Are they really friends though? It is difficult to find someone who will accept you if you have a societal flaw - but those who do, are keepers.

I have found that in my area either guys

Maybe its not representative but it does get me disheartened.

Since you live in florida have you been to disney world?
i posted without finishing..
but from experience ive found guys either are rigid about performance or they are flexible but they wont have a long term relationship with you..only casual or ons. im not into those. its really hard to find keepers but when i do im def not going to say no because of a superficial feature. i just feel like these days being inexperienced and being virginal when you're in your 20s comes across as strange and guys would find it unusual. even asian guys probably.:/
I think measuring attraction is personally the best way to go.
for some reason i cant edit..but i meant attraction is personal and should start from the inside out like you said.
I like this girl :P
OP missing a complimentary comment....

I do post a bit too much even for my own good.
I believe we have met before.:smile: On tsr of course :smile: hehe
Reply 87
Original post by Anonymous

maybe i should post anonymously :P
Or you could let me know :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by Anonymous
I have found that in my area either guys

Maybe its not representative but it does get me disheartened.

Since you live in florida have you been to disney world?
i posted without finishing..
but from experience ive found guys either are rigid about performance or they are flexible but they wont have a long term relationship with you..only casual or ons. im not into those. its really hard to find keepers but when i do im def not going to say no because of a superficial feature. i just feel like these days being inexperienced and being virginal when you're in your 20s comes across as strange and guys would find it unusual. even asian guys probably.:/
I think measuring attraction is personally the best way to go.

for some reason i cant edit..but i meant attraction is personal and should start from the inside out like you said.

I haven't been to disney world - currently in aviation training.

I've the same with girls - girls usually want a short thing with me, but when it comes to "showing me off to the word" as per se, it's a no.

But yes, I agree with you :smile:
Reply 89
Evolutionary reasons may be that shortness shows poor development instead of genetics. Also gives less natural strength, too. I think the actual problem is probably the mass media though - tallness is usually portrayed as strong and noble, where shortness is portrayed in a converse light.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 90
Original post by ct2k7
The problem is not hearing it once in a while - it's hearing it every single damned day - and having some idiot trying to prove themselves bigger than me.

I was at the gym earlier, doing some bicep curls with weights, not big weights - thought I can if I wanted to: 15lbs.

This younger but taller kid, around 14-15 and about 5'10" etc came over and watched me for a while, then decided the take the biggest dumbbell that was there (30lbs) and try to do some curls. Yeah, he managed to pick it off the rack, but that's as far as he got and he dropped the thing like a brick. I could really do without people trying to prove that they're in some way superior to me. (We were the only two people in the mezzanine). No conversation was initiated, no eye contact was maintained.

I've already been nearly killed by someone directly disobeying my orders as a pilot in command in an aircraft before - I tell you - it was not fun.

I think because you have this hang up that you're reading too much into other peoples actions. I'm 6'2 and when stuff like this happens to me I don't relate it to my height because I never think about my height. It's really not that great being tall, I'm taller than most people I meet and I never think about it. Only very tall or short people consider height, no one else really judges them on it. :smile:

Reply 91
Original post by Ryan_94
Evolutionary reasons may be that shortness shows poor development instead of genetics. Also gives less natural strength, too. I think the actual problem is probably the mass media though - tallness is usually portrayed as strong and noble, where shortness is portrayed in a converse light.

Sad to see that I'm not biologically desired :frown:

Original post by Ryan_94
I think because you have this hang up that you're reading too much into other peoples actions. I'm 6'2 and when stuff like this happens to me I don't relate it to my height because I never think about my height. It's really not that great being tall, I'm taller than most people I meet and I never think about it. Only very tall or short people consider height, no one else really judges them on it. :smile:

Maybe, but for what reason would you specifically go for the largest dumbbell that there is and try to imitate me in front of me?
I'm a bit on the short side too, I'm between 5'7 1/2-5'8 (say 5'7 3/4 just under 5'8). Not uber short but certainly shorter than average.

Although interestingly enough I do have a 15cm flaccid willy and 21.5cm erect one. Which is quite funny given that I'm a short guy.

I'd happily trade that for a bit more height though.
Reply 93
Original post by Sharpshooter
I'm a bit on the short side too, I'm between 5'7 1/2-5'8 (say 5'7 3/4 just under 5'8). Not uber short but certainly shorter than average.

Although interestingly enough I do have a 15cm flaccid willy and 21.5cm erect one. Which is quite funny given that I'm a short guy.

I'd happily trade that for a bit more height though.

LOL :redface:
I'm just under 5'8'' (not tiny by any stretch of the imagination, but noticeably shorter than average) and my height has never had a noticeable effect on my life socially. There are odd occasions where I've had other men insinuate that I have some sort of 'short man syndrome' (as I'm also relatively well-built) but it's far from common and not something I'd pay attention to (and I know that in some cases these were men envious of me for other reasons looking to bring me down a peg). I've never had people dislike me because of my height and I've had plenty of very attractive women interested in me, and I think the reason my height hasn't played a factor here is because it isn't something I'm conscious of - I don't dislike the height I am, or envy taller men, or feel like I have a disadvantage I have to make up for. It's one of those qualities that will start to define who you are only if you start considering it so important as to be fundamental to you as a person.

I'd probably be more attractive if I was taller, but then I'd also probably be more attractive if I had a more even smile, or a deeper voice, or wore nicer clothes - it really isn't a particularly interesting issue for me; just one of a number of imperfections, and we all have imperfections. To be perfectly honest, the only area of my life in which I often notice my height is in sports, where it's a disadvantage for certain activities (but then being short has its advantages in others).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by Chumbaniya
I'm just under 5'8'' (not tiny by any stretch of the imagination, but noticeably shorter than average) and my height has never had a noticeable effect on my life socially. There are odd occasions where I've had other men insinuate that I have some sort of 'short man syndrome' (as I'm also relatively well-built) but it's far from common and not something I'd pay attention to (and I know that in some cases these were men envious of me for other reasons looking to bring me down a peg). I've never had people dislike me because of my height and I've had plenty of very attractive women interested in me, and I think the reason my height hasn't played a factor here is because it isn't something I'm conscious of - I don't dislike the height I am, or envy taller men, or feel like I have a disadvantage I have to make up for. It's one of those qualities that will start to define who you are only if you start considering it so important as to be fundamental to you as a person.

I'd probably be more attractive if I was taller, but then I'd also probably be more attractive if I had a more even smile, or a deeper voice, or wore nicer clothes - it really isn't a particularly interesting issue for me; just one of a number of imperfections, and we all have imperfections. To be perfectly honest, the only area of my life in which I often notice my height is in sports, where it's a disadvantage for certain activities (but then being short has its advantages in others).

I think in most cases, you are taller than most girls - in my case, I'm smaller than most girls. A woman has to be secure, and they aren't many, to be able to deal with her man being shorter than her. I'm not saying that I don't get attraction - I know I do, but not for long term things.
Original post by ct2k7
I think in most cases, you are taller than most girls - in my case, I'm smaller than most girls. A woman has to be secure, and they aren't many, to be able to deal with her man being shorter than her. I'm not saying that I don't get attraction - I know I do, but not for long term things.

I'm still taller than most women, but of 4 serious relationships I've had, only one has actually been with a woman shorter than me. Telling yourself that you have no chance with someone because you aren't taller than them will hurt your chances more than being short will.
Reply 97
Original post by ct2k7
Sad to see that I'm not biologically desired :frown:

Maybe, but for what reason would you specifically go for the largest dumbbell that there is and try to imitate me in front of me?

Well, biological attraction isn't as important as social and economic factors - which are the actual factors of 'survival' in the 21st century. Oh, and what I meant was: I don't think he was trying to intimidate you, you just read into things that aren't there.
Original post by Chumbaniya

Yep good post. You're the exact same height as me Chumbaniya. I lie somewhere between 5'7 1/2 (at worst) to 5'8 (my morning height). I don't think height is too much of a problem. The official average for the UK is 5'9 3/4 so we're only two inches below average height nothing overly significant.

ct2k7 - I've haven't read the thread, but you've had girlfriends before right? I've never had a girlfriend and am I'm a virgin at nearly 26. I had to have counselling over it and attempted suicide back in April. Part of the reason isn't because of my looks (I'm told I'm quite decent looking by female counsellors etc) but because I'm socially awkward and painfully shy, so much so that I avoid social contact because I think the world doesn't want me or hates me, I can't make friends or anything and think these things. You're height might be an issue, but by god, there are people out there like me who have practically considered ending their lives because of social inormality and thinking I've never going to get out of it. So please, appreciate what you've got and be proud you're not like me, a total social reject who appears the world hates.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 99
Sharpshooter - I haven't had a girlfriend, those who I've been romantically interested in didn't accept my height.

The world doesn't hate you :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest