The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Ladsborough

Hi everyone,

Im currently at the end of my first year of 6th form and going on open days and stuff deciding what university to go to and what course to do. I definitely want to do a biological subject and the 'Human Biology' course at Loughborough seems perfect for me and is pretty much the only degree of its kind in the country. One problem is that I have heard a lot about Loughborough and how it is very 'laddish' because of the 63:37 ratio of males to females, I dont mind that kind of atmosphere and Im really into football and that kind of thing but I would rather be in a more mixed environment with a good mixture of lads and girls... Has anyone who goes to the uni got any opinions on it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SkyBlueSam
Hi everyone,

Im currently at the end of my first year of 6th form and going on open days and stuff deciding what university to go to and what course to do. I definitely want to do a biological subject and the 'Human Biology' course at Loughborough seems perfect for me and is pretty much the only degree of its kind in the country. One problem is that I have heard a lot about Loughborough and how it is very 'laddish' because of the 63:37 ratio of males to females, I dont mind that kind of atmosphere and Im really into football and that kind of thing but I would rather be in a more mixed environment with a good mixture of lads and girls... Has anyone who goes to the uni got any opinions on it?

This is the main reason i decided not to do Electrical Engineering at Loughborough! but that's just me, i love girls too much lool.
York University has a girl to boy ration of 60:40 opposite to that of Loughborough :wink:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Exactly the same problem I'm having and the same course I'm planning to do...
Probably won't apply there because of this.
Reply 3
Original post by I have a question
Exactly the same problem I'm having and the same course I'm planning to do...
Probably won't apply there because of this.

What course are you going for instead? It seems pretty unique to me... :frown:
It's noticeably more boys than girls but remember it's skewed by the large number of engineers where the ratio is more like 90:10 :wink:
I genuinely didn't notice the ration until about halfway through the year on a night out when I did see there were more males than females, it's not that bad though.
Reply 6
The hall I was in last year had a 60:40 girls to boys ratio this year...
Original post by rcummins1
The hall I was in last year had a 60:40 girls to boys ratio this year...

Which halls? :colondollar:

What course are you going for instead? It seems pretty unique to me... :frown:

Well I'm still going to look into Human Biology. I'll probably still go to an open day at Loughborough though - just to check it out, perhaps I may have to compromise. :afraid:

Liverpool, Kings and UCL have fairly similar courses though. But in terms of course content, Loughborough is spot on for me, the rest are slightly off.
Yeah... it is a pretty unique course, so I'm considering biological sciences aswell.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8

Rutherford, one of the central ones, although it's about 5 grand for the year and catered, but only mon-fri which means you still have to buy food at the weekend...apparently the halls on the east of campus have more girls cos that's where they put the art students. Either way it's a great uni n you should definately come :biggrin:
Reply 9

Well I'm still going to look into Human Biology. I'll probably still go to an open day at Loughborough though - just to check it out, perhaps I may have to compromise. :afraid:

Liverpool, Kings and UCL have fairly similar courses though. But in terms of course content, Loughborough is spot on for me, the rest are slightly off.
Yeah... it is a pretty unique course, so I'm considering biological sciences aswell.

Spoiler

Are you less interested in cells and microbiology and more into biology on a larger scale like me?
Reply 10
Thanks for all the replies by the way people! Really helping :smile:
I'm a Loughborough girl whose been here since 2006.... never seen the ratio be an issue to be honest.

I think for the 60:40 of guys to girls, proportionately more of the guys than girls are the stay at home types..... (so much stereotyping haha)... so you end up with a pretty even spilt on a night out.
Reply 12
On the one hand, there'll be far fewer males than females, which could make it hard to dip your wick; on the other hand, the females that go there made a choice to go to a predominantly male university that's renowned for being sporty, so perhaps they'd be more attractive and up for it?

Swings and roundabouts, friend.
Original post by rcummins1

Rutherford, one of the central ones, although it's about 5 grand for the year and catered, but only mon-fri which means you still have to buy food at the weekend...apparently the halls on the east of campus have more girls cos that's where they put the art students. Either way it's a great uni n you should definately come :biggrin:

Just took a quick look at its profile on the website, actually does look "epic". Yeah, I'm certain I'll probably make LB one of my choices... :cool:

Are you less interested in cells and microbiology and more into biology on a larger scale like me?

Spot on, I am definitely more inclined to biology on a larger scale. Hence why the course at Loughborough seems near perfect.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Just took a quick look at its profile on the website, actually does look "epic". Yeah, I'm certain I'll probably make LB one of my choices... :cool:

Spot on, I am definitely more inclined to biology on a larger scale. Hence why the course at Loughborough seems near perfect.

I thought I was the only one haha
I thought I was the only one haha

:borat:
There are a lot of engineering courses with far more guys than girls (and stereotypically a lot of these guys tend to stay in their rooms at night) so it's less noticeable on nights out. Also interestingly out of all the people I know doing your course I know lots of girls but only 1 guy. That might be saying something good about the ratio on your course specifically speaking :wink:

Admittedly I always said I didn't notice the ratio until I split from my ex.. and in halls it definitely seemed like an even split.
The only time any difference is ever noticeable is on certain courses eg. engineering and art and in certain clubs and societies. On a night out and walking around town etc. you'll never notice a difference.
i would say that the ratio isn't something that you will notice, as it is not significant, and most of us are bought up knowing that there are more boys than girls in society (not really true but yeah)! I applied for product design at Loughborough (though I got rejected!) but I suppose that design is a male dominated field, so I'm quite used to being outnumbered by guys... I've had it at school the last 2 years, so now its just ordinary.. I'd expect that many people (girls especially) applying to design type and other courses will be like me in this aspect.

My advice would be - apply to L'boro anyways, if you don't get in then so be it (and it may just be your dream course, and you'll regret it forever!), but go on the open day and see what you think, and speak to some people whilst you are there and ask them about the male-female ratio, and what they think of it, specifically on your course.
Reply 19
The only male : female ratio you will probably notice is the one on your specific course.

Quick Reply

Latest