The Student Room Group

Worst advice your college gave you on the application process

So I think most of us would agree that college tutors don't know much about getting into medicine but they still give advice when truthfully they do't know what they are saying.

My best examples are when my tutor read through my personal statement and told me to remove everything about extracurriculars because apparently medical schools don't care about them and she said to talk about the subjects I was taking instead. I couldn't believe it! The teacher who teaches medical club also said that uni can't see any AS resits you've done this year (I was really angry at this point), then she goes on to say that you medical schools don't accept any resits in A2 year. I just went no you're wrong, It's very worrying that a teacher will give advice when they obviously don't know what they're saying is right.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
College tutors may not be the most knowledgeable about medical school applications, but I guess we should not be too hard on them as applying to medicine is pretty unique as compared to most other degrees. Our tutors' primary duty too, is to teach while advising on university admission is secondary.

Anyway, worst advice you say? Look through the medical school rankings and apply to medical schools that have higher UCAS entry tariffs. Apparently they are better!

:facepalm:
I was given little to no advice! My college was useless when it came to medicine.
Not from a college tutor but my boss once said I'd never get into medicine because I only have a grade c in gcse maths. Proved him wrong, and it felt sooo good! :smile:

When I was younger, teachers always discouraged me from wanting to do medicine because "you need straight A's to do that". I've heard of so many rumours from teachers, it's a shame cos it probably puts off a lot of potentially good students. Luckily, when it came to actually deciding I wanted to go for it and apply, I found all the information myself so no dodgy info to trip me up.
Reply 4
"Don't apply to Scotland, it would be a wasted choice as they don't take people from England."

From my head of sixth form.
Reply 5
Original post by TillyOB
"Don't apply to Scotland, it would be a wasted choice as they don't take people from England."

SAME! I wish i'd applied to Edinburgh now...
Reply 6
Original post by Ergo
College tutors may not be the most knowledgeable about medical school applications, but I guess we should not be too hard on them as applying to medicine is pretty unique as compared to most other degrees. Our tutors' primary duty too, is to teach while advising on university admission is secondary.

Anyway, worst advice you say? Look through the medical school rankings and apply to medical schools that have higher UCAS entry tariffs. Apparently they are better!

:facepalm:

I don't expect them to know the application process but I expect them to put their hands up and say they don't know and show us somewhere else to look for information. What I think is totally unacceptable is making stuff up that is clearly untrue just so they can sound like they know what they're talking about and this happens a lot at my college.
People with fewer than 6 A* at GCSE shouldn't bother applying to medical school.

To be fair, however, most people who apply for medicine at my school apply for places like Imperial / Kings / UCL, where academics seem to be more a greater deciding factor than at places such as Manchester / Keele :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Hippokrates
I don't expect them to know the application process but I expect them to put their hands up and say they don't know and show us somewhere else to look for information. What I think is totally unacceptable is making stuff up that is clearly untrue just so they can sound like they know what they're talking about and this happens a lot at my college.

Ideally, people should shut up if they don't know how the process actually works. However there is a lot of heresay going on about medical applications and people are prone to just accept it without much verification if it comes from a seemingly reliable source or if the information sounds rather possible to happen. When asked by another person, they can only relay whatever mistruths (but in their eyes, truths) they have. Works some sort like the paparazzi :rolleyes: I think this calls for a closer partnership between universities and schools to minimise imperfect information regarding the application process?
You have to take maths at A level.
Original post by Hayley.M.A.Foster
I was given little to no advice! My college was useless when it came to medicine.

THIS, unfortunately :frown:
When I did my Access course and was in the process of applying noone there thought to mention that there are massive learning gaps (fundamental subjects that are disregarded) and Uni tutors focus more on A-level students. Despite getting my work in on time I would often get lower scores than everyone else. I truly believe that having taken A levels and having more friends to study with would have made all the difference!
Several Teachers - You need Maths at A Level
That one seems really really common - why is there such a big myth around maths and medicine?

That you need a full set of straight A's to stand a chance

Teacher who reviews PS's (approximate quote) - "We've never had a single medical applicant get more than one offer.....I think the medical schools talk to each other to make sure students don't get more than offer" She went on about her theory at some length...

I was thinking - where do people come up with this stuff???

She was proved wrong this year, when someone in my year got more than 1 offer
And I got an offer without straight A's - AABCC at AS level, to be precise. It's possible!! Don't let people tell you that you need 4 A's at AS to even stand a chance, because it isn't true. Strategic application
Reply 13
Mine can't be beaten.

You can apply through ucas clearing.
Original post by SilverArch
Several Teachers - You need Maths at A Level
That one seems really really common - why is there such a big myth around maths and medicine?

That you need a full set of straight A's to stand a chance

Teacher who reviews PS's (approximate quote) - "We've never had a single medical applicant get more than one offer.....I think the medical schools talk to each other to make sure students don't get more than offer" She went on about her theory at some length...

I was thinking - where do people come up with this stuff???

She was proved wrong this year, when someone in my year got more than 1 offer
And I got an offer without straight A's - AABCC at AS level, to be precise. It's possible!! Don't let people tell you that you need 4 A's at AS to even stand a chance, because it isn't true. Strategic application

Where did you apply to?
Had a teacher which said if you didnt get in first time, as re-applicant you need 3 A*s at A-level to have a chance. :tongue:
Where is the logic in this statement?! :K:
Reply 16
Also last week one of the teachers running the UKCAT classes said that the last section was non cognitive analysis and that they'd done it for a few years now and that unis got our scores with our application.
Reply 17
My head of 6th form said not to even bother applying because somebody from the school/6th form I went to would stand no chance of getting in.

That was a huge confidence boost :rolleyes:, happy to have proved her wrong
Reply 18
Take 5 AS subjects, they said. It'll be fun, they said.
Reply 19
Original post by TillyOB

hahahaha, the consultant psychiatrist I shadowed told me this too! He said not to apply to Edinburgh because they definitely will not take an Englishman :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending