The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

UEA for Pharmacy-what's it like?

Just wondering what UEA was like for studying pharmacy. What are the facilities like? I know some universities have little rooms with cameras in to record mock consultations with patients, do they have any of them? I'm sure they do, they're one of the best places in the country for it, but thought I'd ask anyway. Basically, just anything and everything you can tell me about pharmacy at UEA would be a huge help. Trying to decide which university I should go to. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Bump.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
It's friggin hard. Hence I failed my first year!
Ahem.
It's a really interesting and well taught course though. Re the rooms with cameras, I don't believe UEA has any rooms specifically for that but it is a requirement of your pharmacy practice module in second year to record a role play among yourselves of a patient consultation. Teaching is generally high standard - all the lecturers are clearly very knowledgeable in their field, just bear in mind that doesn't always make them a good lecturer! Some lectures will require a great amount of your willpower for you to stay awake, fact. However, that is a minority so fret not. First year is a lot of 'basic' science, whilst second year onwards will be more relevant to the profession of pharmacy, which personally I think makes it more enjoyable. Anything more specific you'd like to know, do ask. I don't actually study pharmacy any more since I failed my first year due to the Life Sciences Chemistry module (euuuurrgh), but now study Pharmaceutical Sciences, a 3 year BSc equivalent of pharmacy, minus the pharmacy practice module.
Original post by Lucyyy
Ahem.
It's a really interesting and well taught course though. Re the rooms with cameras, I don't believe UEA has any rooms specifically for that but it is a requirement of your pharmacy practice module in second year to record a role play among yourselves of a patient consultation. Teaching is generally high standard - all the lecturers are clearly very knowledgeable in their field, just bear in mind that doesn't always make them a good lecturer! Some lectures will require a great amount of your willpower for you to stay awake, fact. However, that is a minority so fret not. First year is a lot of 'basic' science, whilst second year onwards will be more relevant to the profession of pharmacy, which personally I think makes it more enjoyable. Anything more specific you'd like to know, do ask. I don't actually study pharmacy any more since I failed my first year due to the Life Sciences Chemistry module (euuuurrgh), but now study Pharmaceutical Sciences, a 3 year BSc equivalent of pharmacy, minus the pharmacy practice module.

Oh dear. That's a scary thought. :lol: Cool. :smile: Well, there's always something where you have to pinch yourself to stay awake. :tongue: Thanks for the help. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Lucyyy
Ahem.

Hii, sorry to but in lol! I'm trying to decide which uni to pick too "/ was wondering if you could tell me what Norwich is like if you don't mind? Some people say its boring is that true? As in the nightlife btw. Also would u say UEA is multicultural? Would really help to know!(:
Reply 5
Original post by PRABSK
Hii, sorry to but in lol! I'm trying to decide which uni to pick too "/ was wondering if you could tell me what Norwich is like if you don't mind? Some people say its boring is that true? As in the nightlife btw. Also would u say UEA is multicultural? Would really help to know!(:

The nightlife in Norwich is very good. There's a lot of different clubs to go to plus there's the LCR on campus that hosts regular events. Although I have to admit the surrouning area around UEA is quite dull; there's only a few shops such as Tesco and Co-op but as you head into town there are a ton more including Apple Store, House of Frasier and much more.

It is fairly multicultural. I remember when I first moved to UEA, all I could see where white people and Eastern Asian's (i.e. Koreans, Chinese ect). But as you get more asapted you'll notice there are quite a lot of different cultures such as Afriucans, Greeks ect.
Reply 6
Original post by mrdoovde1
The nightlife in Norwich is very good. There's a lot of different clubs to go to plus there's the LCR on campus that hosts regular events. Although I have to admit the surrouning area around UEA is quite dull; there's only a few shops such as Tesco and Co-op but as you head into town there are a ton more including Apple Store, House of Frasier and much more.

It is fairly multicultural. I remember when I first moved to UEA, all I could see where white people and Eastern Asian's (i.e. Koreans, Chinese ect). But as you get more asapted you'll notice there are quite a lot of different cultures such as Afriucans, Greeks ect.

Thank you(: is there things u don't like about the course or UEA?
Reply 7
Norwich is a great city.

Its a top 10 UK destination for shopping.

Its got a a very lively night time economy.

The people are very friendly too.

As for diversity the Norwich area has an ethnic mix which mirrors the national average, so nowhere as much as London, but pretty diverse, and probably more so at UEA.

Read the reviews in Rough Guides or Lonely Planet, to get an idea of the place.
Reply 8
PRABSK,

Just noticed you are from Bedford, an area I know well.

You will find Norwich much livelier than Bedford.
Reply 9
Haha yep anywheres livelier than Bedford to be fair.
Thanks for the help(:
Going to resurrect this. :lol: Anything else anyone can tell me about UEA? Although seeing as I'm definitely going there in September you'd have to hit me with some rather horrific stories to make me change. :tongue:
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Going to resurrect this. :lol: Anything else anyone can tell me about UEA? Although seeing as I'm definitely going there in September you'd have to hit me with some rather horrific stories to make me change. :tongue:

If you live in Norfolk terrace, you can go from being in bed to being in labs in under 5 minutes. Also, if you have lots of labs in one day, try going out for dinner with people afterwards. We had all day Monday labs and the last thing we felt like doing after that was cooking, so now we go to nandos every Monday (it has got to the point where the staff are starting to recognise us). Not sure if these will carry over from chem to pharm, but it's worth letting you know.

Oh, and when you're handing in coursework at EFry, and you will, if the details on the box do not exactly match those on the coursework cover sheet, ask at the desk. I nearly got a 0 on a piece of coursework because I put it in the wrong box.
Original post by chrisawhitmore
If you live in Norfolk terrace, you can go from being in bed to being in labs in under 5 minutes. Also, if you have lots of labs in one day, try going out for dinner with people afterwards. We had all day Monday labs and the last thing we felt like doing after that was cooking, so now we go to nandos every Monday (it has got to the point where the staff are starting to recognise us). Not sure if these will carry over from chem to pharm, but it's worth letting you know.

Oh, and when you're handing in coursework at EFry, and you will, if the details on the box do not exactly match those on the coursework cover sheet, ask at the desk. I nearly got a 0 on a piece of coursework because I put it in the wrong box.

Nando's? Yes. :love: Think I put Norfolk terrace as my second choice. :smile:

Ooh. That sounds complicated and annoying. Still, thanks for warning me. :biggrin:
The only let down is the labs, they lack (as they are refurbished) compared to other unis, but decent enough I'd say....
Original post by James A
The only let down is the labs, they lack (as they are refurbished) compared to other unis, but decent enough I'd say....

Only issue I have with the labs when I went to see them was that there are huge windows, and I'm a daydreamer. Those windows are going to be stared out of a lot.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Only issue I have with the labs when I went to see them was that there are huge windows, and I'm a daydreamer. Those windows are going to be stared out of a lot.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/428140_3043737966823_318634446_n.jpg

This lab is just :sogood:

This was at the Reading University pharmacy labs.....

:colone:

The windows are nicely sized, admittingly....

If i end up at Reading, I would fall in love with the labs quickly :rofl:
Original post by James A
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/428140_3043737966823_318634446_n.jpg

Those labs are a dream come true. Amazing.
Original post by James A

Oh my God. It's like something from a film. Love it. :love:

Worst labs I've ever seen? Aberdeen uni chemistry department. I felt like I was in Jekyll and Hyde. Still a good uni, just...not pretty.
Original post by James A

After 7 hours, any lab you're in will feel like the worst place on earth. Seriously though, the labs at UEA do the job fine, and once you learn your way around they're a good space to use.
Original post by chrisawhitmore
After 7 hours, any lab you're in will feel like the worst place on earth. Seriously though, the labs at UEA do the job fine, and once you learn your way around they're a good space to use.

phew, good to know. Do you study pharmacy or chemistry? Correct me if im wrong but the chemistry students share the same building as the pharmacy students?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending