The Student Room Group

Worried about uni!!! (again...)

So yea may be totally uncalled for but I'm kinda worried about being the odd one out at uni. I wear stupid clothes, have a stupid mindset, listen to different music, refereed to as a dirty hippie(even though I shower everyday!!!!) bla, bla, bla... but yea basically not looking forward to the whole lad culture having to go to clubs to make friends and all that sorta stuff. Still excited like crazy for it though. Am I thinking to much into this? are there people in my sort of situation at or going to uni????

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by That_man
So yea may be totally uncalled for but I'm kinda worried about being the odd one out at uni. I wear stupid clothes, have a stupid mindset, listen to different music, refereed to as a dirty hippie(even though I shower everyday!!!!) bla, bla, bla... but yea basically not looking forward to the whole lad culture having to go to clubs to make friends and all that sorta stuff. Still excited like crazy for it though. Am I thinking to much into this? are there people in my sort of situation at or going to uni????

Have you been on visits and seen the wide variety of students! There is something for everyone - loads of clubs - bound to be someone like you. You are worrying too much. Which uni out of interest
Reply 2

I wouldn't worry about it man, there will be all sorts of people. What do you mean by different music, if you are referred to as a dirty hippy?
Reply 3

Firstly, don't ever change how you are/the way you dress etc. just to make it easier to make friends. Believe me, you could act like one of 'the lads', but you'll hate the next three years because you won't be yourself :smile: Secondly, I'm in almost the exactly same boat. I'm SO nervous about uni. I've always found it incredibly hard to make friends, and I'm incredibly paranoid that the next three years will consist of me on my own. But just be yourself, introduce yourself to people on the first day etc. and you should have no problems :smile: It's easy to build something up into an impossibility when you're just thinking about it, but the reality is usually a hell of a lot easier. If you ever need someone to talk to then just PM me :smile: Just remember that there are so many different people, from all over the world, you'll definitely find people you can get along with
Reply 4
Original post by noniona
Firstly, don't ever change how you are/the way you dress etc. just to make it easier to make friends. Believe me, you could act like one of 'the lads', but you'll hate the next three years because you won't be yourself :smile: Secondly, I'm in almost the exactly same boat. I'm SO nervous about uni. I've always found it incredibly hard to make friends, and I'm incredibly paranoid that the next three years will consist of me on my own. But just be yourself, introduce yourself to people on the first day etc. and you should have no problems :smile: It's easy to build something up into an impossibility when you're just thinking about it, but the reality is usually a hell of a lot easier. If you ever need someone to talk to then just PM me :smile: Just remember that there are so many different people, from all over the world, you'll definitely find people you can get along with

Thanks, awseome post :smile:. Yea thats why im worried about, there is no way im going to change anything about myself just to make other people happy or to fit in. So im hoping there's some cool people that will be able to just let my strangness slide... Where are you going to out of intrest??? Im hopefully going to sussex if i get the grades
Original post by noniona

That reminded me of a quote from Kurt Cobain.
"I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not"

OP, as long as you're chilled and show people respect you'll have no problems whatsoever.
Reply 6
Thanks, awseome post :smile:. Yea thats why im worried about, there is no way im going to change anything about myself just to make other people happy or to fit in. So im hoping there's some cool people that will be able to just let my strangness slide... Where are you going to out of intrest??? Im hopefully going to sussex if i get the grades

You'll be surprised how many strange people are around these days, not a lot of people notice 'till they get to uni and people start acting more relaxed :smile: I've got a conditional offer for Teesside. I live quite close to the uni and it makes a lot of sense for me to stay nearby at the minute :smile:
I looked at Sussex when I first started researching the unis, it looks great. You'll be fine :smile:

Original post by PinkyPurply
That reminded me of a quote from Kurt Cobain.
"I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not"

OP, as long as you're chilled and show people respect you'll have no problems whatsoever.

Haha, you quoted Kurt Cobain, that makes you awesome :smile: Great quote :biggrin:

EDIT: Um, neg for no reason? :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7

The one thing that struck me most about university was how little people cared about anything! :lolwut: . It's actually crazy. I can give you a zillion scenarios that would have provoked a response in normal society/at school only for everybody just to see what the fuss was and turn away again without batting an eyelid. Naturally, there'll be a few morons there (we have 6 out of 130 on our course), but they soon realised that no-one gave them any sort of attention that they so desperately feed off, so they pretty much shut up after the first couple of weeks.

As for going out to clubs all the time, you don't have to. Just fill up your spare time with society stuff! I'm a member of two societies and could get away with being on my own for only 1/2/3 evenings a week, and even then, there's flatmates and course mates too. The rest are filled up doing other, equally as fun stuff as clubbing is to other people (and far less draining and expensive). Just don't worry about it. Get there and see where it takes you! :smile:
Universities are massive places, so you can always find people who are like you :smile:
If my university experience is anything to go by, people LOVE weird people. As long as it's not...psycho murderer weird. Most of the 'lad' culture thrives within sports clubs.

Quick Reply