The Student Room Group

Driving lesson ...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CatRox
Yeah, I'd advise that. Individual instructors will (in theory) have more motivation to be good and get you passed within a reasonable amount of time because it's their own business and they want it to succeed and they want you to recommend them

The one im with is a individual instructor she's not like after the money etc she allows lessons to go over like 10 mins she in no fuss to head home for example when im doing a manoeuvre or something she will say like take your time etc it's really just bcause she's going on holiday I need another instructor who I know can definitely pass me at least by September as she said I would but somehow only having three/four lessons a week would achieve that but that would just be termed as intense course :s-smilie:
Reply 21
Original post by Hk :)
The one im with is a individual instructor she's not like after the money etc she allows lessons to go over like 10 mins she in no fuss to head home for example when im doing a manoeuvre or something she will say like take your time etc it's really just bcause she's going on holiday I need another instructor who I know can definitely pass me at least by September as she said I would but somehow only having three/four lessons a week would achieve that but that would just be termed as intense course :s-smilie:

Yeah, so just find another independent one
Reply 22
Original post by CatRox
Yeah, so just find another independent one

Yh I am :biggrin::smile:
Hi Guys,

Right I've basically had 12 lessons with my current instructor the only things i've done so far is turning right/left/reversing/rounabouts/junctions I don't know if this is good or bad for the amount of lessons I have had....

My instructor has been on holiday for like three to four weeks and just got back recently and she goes I will be going again in August :s-smilie: for a wedding but her mother is really ill as well so she always seems like she has a lot on.

Before she went on holiday and when I started I informed her I would like to pass my test by August she said if you pass your theory then when I get back we will make a plan but now goes You will only be able to achieve that if you have three lessons a week but that's kind of a bit to much pressure but I wanted to have passed before I went to Uni ... Every time she goes away I feel like I can't do things like properly or I get really nervous especially when going on a roundabout because I haven't done them for like four weeks. I feel like lessons just drag also test dates are very limited :frown: ...

Sorry for the long explanation but do you think I should go with another instructor i.e AA

Would really appreciate any help Thanks :smile: :smile:

Hi there,

Can I play devil's advocate for the moment?

You say you have had 12 lessons (although you don't specify how long the lessons are) and can do "turning right/left/reversing/rounabouts/junctions". To me this sounds just above averagel. It rather depends what you mean by reversing? I reckon there are about 10 subjects left to teach each of which can be accomplished in a lesson (probably). You then need to practice, practice, practice to get all your skills up to the level required. This will probably take another 6 to 8 lessons. This comes to potentially another 18 lessons which is about what your instructor is recommending.

So what she is saying MAY be accurate. However, you have clearly stated your goal and from what you have said she seems to doubt whether that is possible. Also, bear in mind that your understanding of August and hers may be different. She maybe thinking the 1st...you may be thinking the 31st! You need to consider very carefully what your aim is and the last date by which you can accomplish it. Then, based on her (possibly not unreasonable) estimate you should be able to work out whether it is achievable or not.

On the other hand, she may just be stringing you along -from this distance it's impossible to tell...

Does that help?
Hi Guys,

Right I've basically had 12 lessons with my current instructor the only things i've done so far is turning right/left/reversing/rounabouts/junctions I don't know if this is good or bad for the amount of lessons I have had....

My instructor has been on holiday for like three to four weeks and just got back recently and she goes I will be going again in August :s-smilie: for a wedding but her mother is really ill as well so she always seems like she has a lot on.

Before she went on holiday and when I started I informed her I would like to pass my test by August she said if you pass your theory then when I get back we will make a plan but now goes You will only be able to achieve that if you have three lessons a week but that's kind of a bit to much pressure but I wanted to have passed before I went to Uni ... Every time she goes away I feel like I can't do things like properly or I get really nervous especially when going on a roundabout because I haven't done them for like four weeks. I feel like lessons just drag also test dates are very limited :frown: ...

Sorry for the long explanation but do you think I should go with another instructor i.e AA

Would really appreciate any help Thanks :smile: :smile:

This sounds about right. Some instructors prefer learners driving in the countryside in the early stages of learning but some prefer driving in the city. I would say never go with a big company like the AA. I think it is much better to go with someone who is private.
Reply 25
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Hi there,

Can I play devil's advocate for the moment?

You say you have had 12 lessons (although you don't specify how long the lessons are) and can do "turning right/left/reversing/rounabouts/junctions". To me this sounds just above averagel. It rather depends what you mean by reversing? I reckon there are about 10 subjects left to teach each of which can be accomplished in a lesson (probably). You then need to practice, practice, practice to get all your skills up to the level required. This will probably take another 6 to 8 lessons. This comes to potentially another 18 lessons which is about what your instructor is recommending.

So what she is saying MAY be accurate. However, you have clearly stated your goal and from what you have said she seems to doubt whether that is possible. Also, bear in mind that your understanding of August and hers may be different. She maybe thinking the 1st...you may be thinking the 31st! You need to consider very carefully what your aim is and the last date by which you can accomplish it. Then, based on her (possibly not unreasonable) estimate you should be able to work out whether it is achievable or not.

On the other hand, she may just be stringing you along -from this distance it's impossible to tell...

Does that help?

Yes you may be right lessons are a hour long. reversing I have done literally just in straight lines. she said by the end of August but she goes that impossible unless you have three lessons a week and that for me is to much pressure but she didnt make this clear before as before i.e last month she goes "You should be looking at doing your test at the END of August" ....

Oh well im going have a few more driving lessons with her and then when she goes on holiday im going to change.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by King Kebab
This sounds about right. Some instructors prefer learners driving in the countryside in the early stages of learning but some prefer driving in the city. I would say never go with a big company like the AA. I think it is much better to go with someone who is private.

Thanks for your help !!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by blueflower114
No problem always happy to help! :smile:

I actually find a 2 hour lesson is good because I find a one hour lesson goes too quickly and feels like I have not learned anything. If you can find an instructor who does an hour and a half lessons then I would recommend doing that as it feels like a 2 hour lesson and it's obviously cheaper too!

I totally agree with this as when I was learning to drive, I took weekly 2 hour lessons and I learnt quite a lot in a short space of time.

On the other hand, whether you choose a 1 or 2 hour lesson, they still go pretty quickly but at the end of the day it's about your focus/concentration on the day!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 28
I've changed was disappointed with the response I got though :O
Original post by jimcatinnes
I think what you've done so far sounds about right, but if they're not going to be around to teach you then yeah I would suggest finding another instructor, but be wary of places like AA and Red they mess you around a bit, if I were you id ask your friends and see who they suggest.

I agree. What you have done so far sounds about right but your instructor isnt helping by not being there half the time. Id go to a different instructor. Ask around your friends/relatives who are having/have recently had driving lessons and see who they recommend.
Reply 30
I have been in a similar circumstance. This time last year. Change instructors. Best thing I did.
Reply 31
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree. What you have done so far sounds about right but your instructor isnt helping by not being there half the time. Id go to a different instructor. Ask around your friends/relatives who are having/have recently had driving lessons and see who they recommend.

Thanks and Yes I've gone with the AA :smile::smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Robertall
I have been in a similar circumstance. This time last year. Change instructors. Best thing I did.

The way in which she responded was frankly quite rude and I didn't even make it that clear I just said im having a break she was like let me know so I can shred ur details lol and yh i've gone with the AA
Reply 33
Yeah, i'd recommend changing.
Also, look for private instructors (ones who have there own company in which they are the only teacher). This is because they can only survive if they get recommended and therefore tend to be better then those who work in red etc. (who tend to be people who just want a job)
Ask friends and even teachers!
I passed first time after 25 hours of lessons (he said I could book it a few lessons sooner if I wanted - so not a scammer at all!)
My sister had 2 before switching to mine (one from the AA and one from 17+) and failed once before. She said my one was by far the best! So look for independents!

Finally, get as much driving with rents as possible, and ask to do maneuvers and if (s)hes not forcing you into any. I was made to do a bay park in my first lesson!

And dont worry, if you do enough practice you'll breeze though your test, just be patient otherwise your impatience may make you an erratic driver.

Good luck (and i'll give you the name of my guy if you are in the norfolk area) !
Reply 34
Original post by HughKit
Yeah, i'd recommend changing.
Also, look for private instructors (ones who have there own company in which they are the only teacher). This is because they can only survive if they get recommended and therefore tend to be better then those who work in red etc. (who tend to be people who just want a job)
Ask friends and even teachers!
I passed first time after 25 hours of lessons (he said I could book it a few lessons sooner if I wanted - so not a scammer at all!)
My sister had 2 before switching to mine (one from the AA and one from 17+) and failed once before. She said my one was by far the best! So look for independents!

Finally, get as much driving with rents as possible, and ask to do maneuvers and if (s)hes not forcing you into any. I was made to do a bay park in my first lesson!

And dont worry, if you do enough practice you'll breeze though your test, just be patient otherwise your impatience may make you an erratic driver.

Good luck (and i'll give you the name of my guy if you are in the norfolk area) !

Oh thank you but I've gone with an AA instructor. I have called him personally and booked lessons and not done it through the AA company themselves themselves I know a few people who have had lessons with him and they recommended him I should hopefully find out for myself today :biggrin: :biggrin:. I might just book my test now as the test dates available now are for like September 10th and I want to hopefully have passed about that time. and I'm not from around Norfolk area.
(edited 11 years ago)
What a load of rubbish
Reply 36
This is not true...i try to get in the passengers seat as quick as i can so the student can drive more and send vids via whats app before i teach a new skill so we can drive more and talk less so the student can be test ready when they are 100% great at driving. I do understand some instructors take the mick but we are not all the same.

Quick Reply