The Student Room Group

An Englsih Student going to University in Holland?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I would like the advice of any Dutch students. I am going to apply to university for 2013 to do History of Art and am considering applying to a Dutch university because I really like Dutch and Northern Renaissance art. The uni i was specifically thinking of applying to is Amsterdam.

I was wondering do you think this is possible for someone who (currently) doesn't speak any Dutch as the course would not be in English. I would be prepared to learn Dutch from CD courses, books etc. to get a feel for the language throughout the summer and study it for a year to get a qualification in it and try hard with it. Do you think this would be enough? I have been told that its not a very difficult language to learn if you are English and somewhat like being between English and German.

Another question is if I got accepted are there many international students in universities like Amsterdam? Loads of international students apply to the UK and get on fine and i would like to expedience life in another country. Do you think people would be prepared to help me if I get a bit stuck because I know a lot of Dutch people speak English well? Sorry this is really long but I would really like someone's opinion, thanks for reading :smile:
Reply 1
I'm not sure but personally I think one year is a bit short to really learn the Dutch language, especially if you won't be in an environment with native speakers. You might be able to understand and speak at a basic level, but don't forget that your coursework will all have to be written in the Dutch language at university level. Dutch may seem like an easy language but it is actually on of the hardest european languages to learn due to the many grammatical rules and exceptions to those rules we have.

That being said, there are a lot of international students in Amsterdam as well as tourist and everyone is quite used to English speaking people so socially it shouldn't be any problem. The Universiteit van Amaterdam (don't know if you want to go to the UvA or the VU?) offers a Dutch as a second language course for international students and they say it takes approximately a year, but of course this is in a Dutch environment so that is very likely to speed up the process of learning the language. Anyway, you probably already saw this but they have a page on language requirements right here.

If you can find a way to make it work I would definitely say go for it though, Amsterdam is a lovely city if it suits you and studying abroad is a great experience :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Killyenn
I'm not sure but personally I think one year is a bit short to really learn the Dutch language, especially if you won't be in an environment with native speakers. You might be able to understand and speak at a basic level, but don't forget that your coursework will all have to be written in the Dutch language at university level. Dutch may seem like an easy language but it is actually on of the hardest european languages to learn due to the many grammatical rules and exceptions to those rules we have.

That being said, there are a lot of international students in Amsterdam as well as tourist and everyone is quite used to English speaking people so socially it shouldn't be any problem. The Universiteit van Amaterdam (don't know if you want to go to the UvA or the VU?) offers a Dutch as a second language course for international students and they say it takes approximately a year, but of course this is in a Dutch environment so that is very likely to speed up the process of learning the language. Anyway, you probably already saw this but they have a page on language requirements right here.

If you can find a way to make it work I would definitely say go for it though, Amsterdam is a lovely city if it suits you and studying abroad is a great experience :smile:

Thanks for helping :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending