The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Accommodation 2012

I'm in the middle of applying for accommodation and was hoping to get some advice on the 'best' and 'worst' places to go.

I have a conditional offer - I've read I won't receive any word back about accommodation until my offer becomes an unconditional one (If I get the grades...), is this correct?

Has anyone heard back yet (unconditional offer or not) and what have you applied to study? :smile:
Yeah, your offer of accommodation will arrive after you've made your conditional an unconditional.

Yeah, I got my offer a couple of weeks ago for South House.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Re: Kings Street Exchange!
Please do not book here! This is not a 'home from home' as advertised. BE WARY! There are many surprises in UNITE from larder beetle infestation in Block 1 and 2 to the inefficient staff at UNITE. If you want a comfortable and enjoyable first year, please book somewhere else. UNITE is not worth the hassle but if you want to spend a stressful year away from home then King Street Exchange is the place to stay!!!

I lived at UNITE this year and I am so happy that my tenancy is finally ending and I can leave the place. My flatmates and I have had a very stressful year living at King Street Exchange. Since I moved there in September 2011, my experience at UNITE accommodation was extremely unpleasant. We have had to live with a bug infestation in the of our flat and neighbouring flats. For a whole month, our kitchen was unusable due to the vast amount of beetles and larvae that plagued our kitchen. To make matters worse, the lack of help and response from UNITE staff was appalling and dissatisfactory as very little action was taken to deal with the problem. This unexpected add stress made my freshers experience uncomfortable and I regret booking with UNITE. Please heed my warning and advice.

I have attached photos of our kitchen and piles of larvae which lived there for months:046.jpg
Original post by shoba

I have attached photos of our kitchen and piles of larvae which lived there for months:046.jpg

Mmmmm, yum!
Why is there no option to hide things in a spoiler :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by kikimckenzie
Why is there no option to hide things in a spoiler :frown:

Spoiler

I worded that badly, I meant why is there no option for the post above to be hidden in a spoiler :P
Original post by kikimckenzie
I worded that badly, I meant why is there no option for the post above to be hidden in a spoiler :P

Because you must see everything of what the internet can offer!
Original post by shoba
Re: Kings Street Exchange!
Please do not book here! This is not a 'home from home' as advertised. BE WARY! There are many surprises in UNITE from larder beetle infestation in Block 1 and 2 to the inefficient staff at UNITE. If you want a comfortable and enjoyable first year, please book somewhere else. UNITE is not worth the hassle but if you want to spend a stressful year away from home then King Street Exchange is the place to stay!!!

I lived at UNITE this year and I am so happy that my tenancy is finally ending and I can leave the place. My flatmates and I have had a very stressful year living at King Street Exchange. Since I moved there in September 2011, my experience at UNITE accommodation was extremely unpleasant. We have had to live with a bug infestation in the of our flat and neighbouring flats. For a whole month, our kitchen was unusable due to the vast amount of beetles and larvae that plagued our kitchen. To make matters worse, the lack of help and response from UNITE staff was appalling and dissatisfactory as very little action was taken to deal with the problem. This unexpected add stress made my freshers experience uncomfortable and I regret booking with UNITE. Please heed my warning and advice.

Hi Shoba,

My name’s Frankie, I work for UNITE, I’m here to support TSR users with all aspects of student life in our properties, I noticed your post and thought I might join in the conversation.

I’m sorry to hear that you found your time at King Street Exchange stressful. That certainly isn’t our intention!!

We try our best to provide the best accommodation we can by investing in our buildings and listening to and acting upon what our customers tell us, hence why I’m on TSR to help!!

I am aware of the bug problem in the Kings Street Exchange property and have looked into what has happened.

Our team in Aberdeen contacted pest control on this issue as soon as they were alerted to the larder beetles and made sure any outbreaks were dealt with as quickly as possible. The pest control team highlighted the reason for the bug/larvae was down to poor cleanliness.

The nature of student accommodation, with lots of young people living away from home together for the first time, means it is not uncommon for cleanliness to sometimes become an issue.

The team have worked with the students in the building on this issue and advised them that keeping their flats tidy and clean is the only way to prevent this type of problem recurring, which is what happened on this occasion.

During the summer all our properties are being deep cleaned, including behind and under the kitchen units, before new students move in for the 2012/2013 academic year.

If you would like to talk to someone in more detail, you can reach a member of our Aberdeen team on: 01224 488239
Reply 9
Hey I was just wondering, I got my I.B. results a week ago and I got all my requirements for Aberdeen, only I haven't heard anything from them - is that normal? Just because I saw that some people had received emails about accommodation, and well, I've heard absolutely nothing. Frankly I'm just a bit paranoid that they may have overseen me or something along those lines...
Original post by Floriana
Hey I was just wondering, I got my I.B. results a week ago and I got all my requirements for Aberdeen, only I haven't heard anything from them - is that normal? Just because I saw that some people had received emails about accommodation, and well, I've heard absolutely nothing. Frankly I'm just a bit paranoid that they may have overseen me or something along those lines...

I don't think that the uni has registred your exam results yet, and you have therefore no unconditional yet and you'll get your offer of accommodation when you have turned your conditional into an unconditional.
Reply 11
Thanks a lot :] Guess I'll just have to wait till August.
Original post by Floriana
Thanks a lot :] Guess I'll just have to wait till August.

It's a lot bull, some people live far away and some people like myself could never have got an unconditional offer; being English and all. Have to wait and pay high fares come August :|
hey guys, I need help on how to get a good and fair priced accommodation that is quite close to Robert Gordon Uni. am coming all the way from Africa for Sept 2012 Msc.
Reply 14
I applied for accomondation in may and have an unconditional offer, still waiting for an offer from RGU university. I read on the website that offers will be submit from mid july on.
Original post by alexej
I applied for accomondation in may and have an unconditional offer, still waiting for an offer from RGU university. I read on the website that offers will be submit from mid july on.

Same position! I think they're a bit busy since they originally said July onwards and then changed it to mid-July.

Quick Reply

Latest