The Student Room Group

Students who fail GCSE Eng/Maths to be forced to contue it till 18.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
One that appreciates the investment value of education and wishes to pursue it?

You've not spoken to many 5 year olds recently have you?
Original post by cl_steele
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18676638

Thoughts and views on this, a good move to help boost literacy and numeracy levels in the UK or just an added burden for some students?

I can see the BBC hadn't been told about then-this was revealed about a year ago and certainly not recently and my views,of course I believe this is a good thing because 2 extra years of just English and Maths will really help develop these basics skills because as we all know you get cleverer as you get older until you become elderley ,as shown by how pupils complete A-Levels and look back at how easy GCSEs were and I think this will really boost pupils to achieve these basic skills,that are lacking in the country especially Maths.
Original post by NR09
You've not spoken to many 5 year olds recently have you?

Not any idiot ones, at any rate.
Reply 63
Original post by cl_steele
Since when can you get a 'G' at GCSE? i thought it went A, B, C, D, E and U with E being the lowest pass?

Original post by Converse Rocker
Really? My bad, I'll edit that other post then. I must have assumed that it was a C based on the fact it's effectively treated as the pass mark.

To echo the post above, I didn't think there was a G grade.

I'm pretty sure G has been around for a while...i think my brother got one a about 8 years ago.
But I checked and F and G grades are still passes, see here
Reply 64
Original post by Boo_x
I'm pretty sure G has been around for a while...i think my brother got one a about 8 years ago.
But I checked and F and G grades are still passes, see here

Just having a quick check on wiki saysthat on higher tier you can only acieve grades [A, B, C, D, E and U] whilst foundation tier is [C-G and U]
I didnt know they even bothered tiering these exams except in maths and french, i should pay more attention in future :tongue:
Reply 65
Not any idiot ones, at any rate.

You're completely delusional.
Reply 66
One that appreciates the investment value of education and wishes to pursue it?

Because you're really going to think that at the age of 5, unless you're Sheldon Cooper.
Reply 67
well success has a 1000 fails
Some of things that are being said on here are a bit harsh, to be perfectly honest.
I'm on my fourth resit for my Maths GCSE. I started off doing foundation but my teacher decided, stupidly, that it would be easier to get my C if I did higher. My arse is it easier to get a C on the higher paper....
The only reason I'm not passing is because I have Dyscalculia, Maths Dyslexia really, not because I've been derping around not doing any work!

It seems to me that if you haven't got your C when you're sixteen, what possible good could two more compulsory years do? The thing is, most kids who don't get their C's are capable of "real life" Maths, so all the things that are actually relevant to real life. Who really needs to know how to expand a bracket?
But many of them do not want to learn!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 70
Original post by FrescoDiMorte
No and No. First of all most kids that can't get a C at maths and english don't really want to learn/be at school. So essentially it's forcing kids who dont wanna be there to stay in school, leading to:

Taxpayers money being wasted on forcing kids to be in school when they don't wanna, which will essentially keep the level of illiterate kids at the same or worse.

Plus for kids that do want to learn (but still failed), they have to put up with being distracted in lessons by ''Future Fifty Cent'' who doesn't give a fudge about his or anyone elses education.

What is the alternative though, let them leave school and go on JSA for the rest of their lives because they were too lazy to actually try and pass their Maths/English when at school?

If by 18 they still haven't passed and they end up on the dole, they should be forced to pass by the JobCentre by introducing deductions from their JSA payments until they have successfully passed (not by making us the taxpayers pay for it). That would soon encourage them.

Original post by Boo_x
But I checked and F and G grades are still passes

The examination boards say this, but I have seen job applications before where they clearly state that subjects considered 'passed' are only those with C and above.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ufo2012
What is the alternative though, let them leave school and go on JSA for the rest of their lives because they were too lazy to actually try and pass their Maths/English when at school?

If by 18 they still haven't passed and they end up on the dole, they should be forced to pass by the JobCentre by introducing deductions from their JSA payments until they have successfully passed (not by making us the taxpayers pay for it). That would soon encourage them.

I guess, but that will never happen here in england the government is too nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending