The Student Room Group

Year 9s Going Into Year 10 - Expectations

Delete.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As someone who has gone through GCSEs, I would say that if you are worried that is possibly a good sign. It means you are taking the responsibility of GCSEs seriously and I hope you do well. :smile:
However, don't get too worked up. GCSEs are not too hard if you pay attention to your teachers.
:hugs: As the above poster said, the fact your are apprehensive shows you care, and I wouldn't underestimate this.

pay attention in class, get a revision guide for each subject and practise mock exams. Don't get too freaked out with the specification, I remember reading it and thinking "I must be a D student because i can't do any fo this!!!" but in reality, i was much better.

Don't study for hours every night, you will burn out, just do your homework and put in the occasional 20 minutes a week, building up more time closer to exams.

Good luck! :smile:
Don't be disheartened if you don't do as hoped in any GCSE contribution. There is plenty of time to resit! I stupidly left revision to the last minute in year 10, meaning I had to resit a few science exams a few months later. Just try your hardest, but enjoy yourself! I loved year 10 :smile: Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 4
Don't be fearful.

Every next step seems so hard, when in reality, you adapt, you get used to it. You're on this site already - you clearly have an interest! You'll be fine!

<3
Reply 5
:rofl:
Reply 6
Original post by Maths0
Hello all!

I don't expect there to be a lot of Year 9s, but if there are, would you like to discuss your thoughts on joining year 10? What do you expect, what options have you taken and are you feeling nervous?

I'm also thinking of creating a year 10 thread when we join, if anyone else hasn't already and when the current year 10 thread changes to year 11 if that's ok with them.

My options: (4)

Triple science (2)
History (1)
French (1)

Hey, just something worth mentioning - Triple Science is three qualifications - Biology, Chemistry and Physics all separately.

Oh and:
French (already done)
Spanish
Mandarin
Economics
Geography
History
Triple Science

:biggrin:
I'm in year 9! I chose Arabic, History, Textiles and Art.
If you have crap teachers, use a revision guide.
Reply 9
In total I think I'm doing 15 gcses, I will have finished 3 by the end of this year and will be well on the way for english, sciences, geography and french. I hope to do maths in November. I only got two options because I was doing so many, but I chose Economics and History with RE in reserve. I'm predicted A* in most of my subjects, but bad teachers mean that I'll probably only get 7 or so at maximum. For example, my geography teacher didn't even tell us how to get top marks in coursework so I probably didn't do very well, whereas my friend's teacher marked them, told them how to improve and so most of the people in that class will get A* and I will get A at maximum.
Don't even get me started on my English teacher, who basically taught us to get a B in our OMIM essay because she said PEE would get us top marks. Needless to say it didn't.
</rant>

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 10
Edexcel Maths
AQA English Language/Literature
OCR Twenty First Century Science (Triple Award)
Edexcel Religious Studies
OCR Mordern World History
Edexcel Geography
Edexcel German
AQA Drama
AQA Economics

Independently-

AQA Statistics
CIE IGCSE Accountancy
Reply 11
Looking forward to it but starting to think that my options might not be so good, now...

Triple Science, RE (compulsory for us), PE, History, French and Music :smile:
Original post by Maths0
Hello all!

I don't expect there to be a lot of Year 9s, but if there are, would you like to discuss your thoughts on joining year 10? What do you expect, what options have you taken and are you feeling nervous?

I'm also thinking of creating a year 10 thread when we join, if anyone else hasn't already and when the current year 10 thread changes to year 11 if that's ok with them.

My options: (4)

Triple science (2)
History (1)
French (1)

Hi :biggrin: Have fun, it will be harder in year 11.
Oh and geography is much better history :tongue:
Reply 13
year 9?! pffft spend less time worrying more time enjoying what you have left cos after yr 11, social life goes to hell and you will find that you will just be working.
Reply 14
Original post by Krollo
In total I think I'm doing 15 gcses, I will have finished 3 by the end of this year and will be well on the way for english, sciences, geography and french. I hope to do maths in November. I only got two options because I was doing so many, but I chose Economics and History with RE in reserve. I'm predicted A* in most of my subjects, but bad teachers mean that I'll probably only get 7 or so at maximum. For example, my geography teacher didn't even tell us how to get top marks in coursework so I probably didn't do very well, whereas my friend's teacher marked them, told them how to improve and so most of the people in that class will get A* and I will get A at maximum.
Don't even get me started on my English teacher, who basically taught us to get a B in our OMIM essay because she said PEE would get us top marks. Needless to say it didn't.
</rant>

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

You get the marks not your teacher.
Reply 15
Aww I almost wish I was doing GCSEs again. They were fun. Honestly, you might think you have a lot of homework or whatever to do (there certainly was at my school) but none of it will really be that hard. This is the only time in your life you will have two years to prepare for exams, and they'll be the easiest exams you'll do - enjoy it! :smile:
Reply 16
Good luck in Year 10! I'm nearly done with it.. Year 11 in September for me! :s-smilie:
One bit of advice; like some others have already said, don't get too worked up over your subjects - you'll probably only have controlled assessments to do this year if you have to do all your exams in Year 11, so as long as you don't d*ck around, you should be fine :smile: And don't spend ages writing down every single thing mentioned in your lessons - it just makes it harder to condense your notes into relevant notes during your revision! Try to just take down stuff you need or stuff that seems relevant :smile:
Enjoy this year; Year 10 has easily been one of the best years for me.
Reply 17
Looking forward to it but I'm dreading English.
Art, French, Computing and History
Reply 18
You guys make me feel old, thought us year elevens who just left were the babies of tsr haha. :wink:
It's good that you're looking forward to it. Oh, just a word of warning; time goes so fast! Seriously, you probably underestimate how fast it goes but I can guarantee you'll have never seen two years go so fast. I think year ten and eleven are good years despite what people say, I mean you get to take your education more seriously than other years which is good, but not too seriously that it takes over your life. ;D
Best advice I can give you is to work at school but give yourself time to breath. When in lessons make sure you do all your coursework and actually listen - saves a lot of time and will probably stop you from having to resit. If you work in lessons you can chill out with your friends at break and dinner and stuff, I seriously miss being able to do that haha. Oh, and you'll probably have at least one teacher who can't teach, so you need to ensure you have a revision guide for those lessons. ;D
Good luck, and enjoy it! :-)
Hahaha, Just finishing up year 10 and at my school its not much different....
Just a few more exams :smile:
Enjoy it, it goes fast but Its been a great year for me, :smile:

Quick Reply