The Student Room Group

BA History of Art to a Masters in Illustration/Fine Art

Hi all,

First of all, I hope this in the right place and sorry if this question comes up a lot. I'm very new!

So, I am currently half way through my part-time BA in History of Art at Birkbeck and I am rather unhappy there. My passion lies with being creative, drawing and painting especially. You know when something just makes you happy? :smile:
Well, I studied a BTEC in Art and Design and didn't manage to gain a place at a uni and was persuaded to carry on at the college on their foundation degree. I hated it, and was ready to leave that environment so I jumped head first into a History of Art BA. Two years down the line I deeply, deeply regret the decision not to do the foundation and probably always will.
Now, I have looked into applying to start a new degree in something that I have more of a passion for but I can't help but be put off of the thought of the debt that I would end up with hanging over me. I also have very little work at the moment that I could show in an interview. This had led me to wondering if I can battle through the last two years of my current BA (and I mean battle! I was recently diagnosed with cognitive dyspraxia), would I be able to apply for a Masters in a creative subject? Making sure I build up some sort of portfolio in the meantime?

I'm sorry if this seems like a life story, trying to convey the mess that I am in is rather difficult!

Emma

Quick Reply