The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sp06lll
No way, you have a great chance of getting on. In my year 2 people dropped out in the first few weeks of the course and they still went back to the waiting list even once term had started. A girl I know doing physio was also called up a couple of weeks before the start of term and they have a similar process.

I wasn't on the waiting list but there were definitely more than 2 that got a place last year so keep your fingers crossed! :smile:

also the difference with Greenwich is the academic side of the course. An MSc is more advanced academically than a PGDip (not sure to what extent..) but you'd still be a qualified SLT, which is the main point of doing the course so I don't think its too important. I think you could make up credits to make it an MSc later on in your career too. x

Really? wow I never thought people would drop out once the course has started. The waiting is so horrible, I think Im going to apply for Greenwich and see what happens...thanks for your help :smile: xx
Reply 1041
Original post by zahra_xo
hey guys,

I'm hopefully applying for speech and language therapy in september 2012 to start in september 2013

Im really struggling to get work experience, has anyone got any advice on who to contact.

Ive tried through my college, but ive had no luck. The hospital placements are so difficult to get and are literally all booked up.

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated :biggrin:

Thanks in advance

I'm also finding it hard to get work experience shadowing a SLT. I've phoned practically every hospital around here and they've all said it's not possible due to confidentiality reasons. So annoying!
Original post by Aderyn
I'm also finding it hard to get work experience shadowing a SLT. I've phoned practically every hospital around here and they've all said it's not possible due to confidentiality reasons. So annoying!

Don't forget hospitals are only one of many places SLTs work. Any work with the kind of client groups who might have SLT can lead to good things! Care homes, schools, nurseries, charities, volunteering/ working anywhere like that can result in you meeting SLTs. It's not as direct and takes a bit more time but you can get good results!
Is anyone else on here starting QMU in aug? I've moved to Musselburgh, just about 10 mins away from the uni. I've also just had my disclosure through which is a relief. Just wondering if we should be doing anything? I expected to hear from the uni about stuff before now. Although from reading through it seems that a lot of people are busy trying to sort funding and accommodation just now. I'm glad I'm not worrying about that just now!! Just feel like something should be happening!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Nataliex22
So im guessing that my chances of getting into Essex now are pretty slim even though im 2nd on the waiting list :redface:... I really dont think anyones going to drop out now! So im thinking of trying to apply for Greenwich...to see what my chances are but it says the course is a PGDip...Anyone know what the difference is?

Natalie xxxx

The difference between a PGDip and MSc is for an MSc you must complete a thesis. I don't know about Greenwich but at City you graduate with a PGDip (and are registered with the HPC to practice) and you can choose to complete the thesis within a few years after graduating to convert to an MSc. I'd imagine there is a similar option at Greenwich.

xxx
Original post by Flicker
The difference between a PGDip and MSc is for an MSc you must complete a thesis. I don't know about Greenwich but at City you graduate with a PGDip (and are registered with the HPC to practice) and you can choose to complete the thesis within a few years after graduating to convert to an MSc. I'd imagine there is a similar option at Greenwich.

xxx

Oh right, thank you very much for your help! I applied for Greenwich last week and then realised the difference... fingers crossed I get in somewhere this year :smile:. I just found out that I graduated with a 2:1 today so at least next year I can apply for City and UCL aswel xxxxx
Reply 1046
Original post by jennifex
Don't forget hospitals are only one of many places SLTs work. Any work with the kind of client groups who might have SLT can lead to good things! Care homes, schools, nurseries, charities, volunteering/ working anywhere like that can result in you meeting SLTs. It's not as direct and takes a bit more time but you can get good results!

That's true. I've contacted some special needs schools now anyway and will also look into care homes and nurseries too.
Reply 1047
Hi all. Unfortunately I'd had to pass up my offer to do the Masters at QMU this August. I had already started accumulating a collection of texts, some new some second hand, which I'm going to put on eBay. If any of you are Edinburgh (or I guess Glasgow or Newcastle) based and would find them handy please shout out. Obviously no worries if not, but I've had such good support and help on here, I wanted to give you guys first option. I bet you're all getting so excited - am so envious!! :smile:
Original post by Aderyn
That's true. I've contacted some special needs schools now anyway and will also look into care homes and nurseries too.

Good idea :smile: Special schools nearly always have SLTs about and also are a great environment to find out about some of the communication disorders we would work with. You can always try ASLTIP as well (Independent therapists - http://www.helpwithtalking.com/). When I was in the final year of my undergraduate degree, I found all the therapists on there within about 50 miles of me and sent a mass email begging for some experience. A couple got back to me and said yes :smile: Of course you have to be aware that independent therapists might not always use "conventional" methods but it would still be great experience.
Original post by winctr
Hi all. Unfortunately I'd had to pass up my offer to do the Masters at QMU this August. I had already started accumulating a collection of texts, some new some second hand, which I'm going to put on eBay. If any of you are Edinburgh (or I guess Glasgow or Newcastle) based and would find them handy please shout out. Obviously no worries if not, but I've had such good support and help on here, I wanted to give you guys first option. I bet you're all getting so excited - am so envious!! :smile:

Sorry to hear that winctr :frown: (I got your PM btw, sorry I didn't get round to replying - been crazily busy!) I hope you will fulfill your dream of becoming an SLT one day! Best of luck in whatever you do :smile:
Reply 1050
Sorry to hear that winctr :frown: (I got your PM btw, sorry I didn't get round to replying - been crazily busy!) I hope you will fulfill your dream of becoming an SLT one day! Best of luck in whatever you do :smile:

Hey, not at all! I just wanted to thank you for your kindness. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up back at SLT at some point. These things have a way of working out. Best of luck!
Original post by juliamcgowan26
Is anyone else on here starting QMU in aug? I've moved to Musselburgh, just about 10 mins away from the uni. I've also just had my disclosure through which is a relief. Just wondering if we should be doing anything? I expected to hear from the uni about stuff before now. Although from reading through it seems that a lot of people are busy trying to sort funding and accommodation just now. I'm glad I'm not worrying about that just now!! Just feel like something should be happening!!

Hey there I'm starting in QMU too, I haven't really gotten any information yet, apart from campus accommodation, they said they'll send out an information pack though didn't they? I'm going crazy trying to work out what funding I can get :s-smilie: Have you everything sorted? How's Musselburgh? =] xx
Original post by sugarplumkin
Hey there I'm starting in QMU too, I haven't really gotten any information yet, apart from campus accommodation, they said they'll send out an information pack though didn't they? I'm going crazy trying to work out what funding I can get :s-smilie: Have you everything sorted? How's Musselburgh? =] xx

Don't even mention funding!! There is absolutely nothing that i'm eligible for and the fees are so scary!! To be honest I don't remember them saying about sending out an info pack but I really hope they do. It feels so close now and I wish I felt more organised!

Musselburgh is absolutely lovely, have you been at all? Our flat is down at the racecourse, we can see it from our window. And then there's the river Esk and the beach right behind us. Not to mention the uni is only a ten minute drive - if that! The uni is lovely too, in such a quiet area.

Will you be staying in the uni halls then?

Reply 1053
Good idea :smile: Special schools nearly always have SLTs about and also are a great environment to find out about some of the communication disorders we would work with. You can always try ASLTIP as well (Independent therapists - http://www.helpwithtalking.com/). When I was in the final year of my undergraduate degree, I found all the therapists on there within about 50 miles of me and sent a mass email begging for some experience. A couple got back to me and said yes :smile: Of course you have to be aware that independent therapists might not always use "conventional" methods but it would still be great experience.

I never realised there was a special school almost just down the road from me, I contacted the headmaster and he said to contact again early September when the school term begins again, so fingers crossed I can get in some good work experience then. I've also now got potential volunteering experience at a youth club for children with learning disabilities. Thanks for that website. I contacted three independent SLTs in my area; one said she couldn't help me but one replied and said although I won't be able to observe her at work she's happy to meet up with me and discuss some clients and therapy management, so hopefully that'll be good!
Reply 1054
I've read back in this thread and I'm a bit intimidated by the amount and range of work experience applicants have had, yet still some didn't get interviews! I just know I won't be able to get as much as I'd like to by November and so my chances will be a lot lower.... :/ But I'd really like to apply this year. I was wondering what else admissions generally look for apart from the obvious work experience (which obviously is weighted a lot). I have a lot of other experience working with people including tutoring and teaching, but don't know how much of an asset that will be. I have a strong academic record - excellent GCSE and A level grades and a 2.1 from a top 10 uni - but again how significant will that be on my application? :/

I'll be starting QMU next month too. Still awaiting my disclosure though...when did yours come through? Hope mine comes through soon as need to sort out accommodation as well. Looking forward to it all - went to the open evening back in April and can't wait to get started :smile:
All I know is first day for us will be 21st August - seems we don't have classes on Mondays...that's what I gathered from the open evening talks anyway. I might be mistakened though.
Original post by Lorraine89
I'll be starting QMU next month too. Still awaiting my disclosure though...when did yours come through? Hope mine comes through soon as need to sort out accommodation as well. Looking forward to it all - went to the open evening back in April and can't wait to get started :smile:
All I know is first day for us will be 21st August - seems we don't have classes on Mondays...that's what I gathered from the open evening talks anyway. I might be mistakened though.

Hiya! My disclosure came through last Wednesday. Glad that's out of the way now! I hadn't realised there was an open evening but to be honest I lived in glasgow at the time and I have a wee girl do I probably couldn't have gone anyway! Did you find out anything else? No classes on Mondays sounds good... Haha but I recently spoke to someone who graduated from the qmu course last year and she said you have to use every minute you have spare to do work :frown: as there is so much to do!

At least I know which date we start as I didn't before!! I'll see you on the 21st - exciting!!

Reply 1057
Hiya! My disclosure came through last Wednesday. Glad that's out of the way now! I hadn't realised there was an open evening but to be honest I lived in glasgow at the time and I have a wee girl do I probably couldn't have gone anyway! Did you find out anything else? No classes on Mondays sounds good... Haha but I recently spoke to someone who graduated from the qmu course last year and she said you have to use every minute you have spare to do work :frown: as there is so much to do!

At least I know which date we start as I didn't before!! I'll see you on the 21st - exciting!!

Posting up just in case you guys haven't seen this.

http://www.qmu.ac.uk/induction/PG/inductionPGsltmsc.htm
Thanks so much, didn't occur to me to check the website I just assumed they'd send this stuff out!! Going to need to get used to this I suppose, my during my undergrad degree everything was done on paper! (how old am I?) x

Has anyone received a letter from Greenwich about when their interview is? I got an email in April confirming I had an interview, but that the letter confirming the date won't be out until July. I know it's only 10 days into the month but I just want to know! Need to book it off in advance too :/

Quick Reply

Latest