The Student Room Group

Top jobs 'restricted to graduates with first-class degrees' :(

Move if it's in the wrong place.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9373058/Top-jobs-restricted-to-graduates-with-first-class-degrees.html

Since I've been seeing a lot of threads recently about people getting 2.2 seems it's getting tougher for 2.1 students now :angry:.

Opinions please.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is a great news! I have a first class degree!

Unfortunately, it's in English.

:colonhash:
Reply 2
Well looks like I'm gonna have to work harder.

But to be fair, it's only like choosing someone with an A* over an A, or an A over a B.
Reply 3
I know people that have applied for jobs with a 2.2 when the specifications have asked for a 2.1 and been selected for interview and got it. I also know people that haven't been to university at all and got some years experience behind them and got a good job and working their way up (this would depend on what jobs you want, obviously).

I think you just have to put yourself out there, never say never.
It makes sense to choose the people with the higher grades. However you never know who you're competing with. At times they'll fall back on the grades but your work ethic and your attitude does play a part in jobs.

However, if there was no-one with Firsts applying then I don't see why they wouldn't accept people with lower grades.
What a nonsensical title on that "article" - nowhere does it say that any jobs are "restricted" to first class graduates; it only says that some jobs are "considering" it.
why shouldn't they be? better acadamic performance --> better job, seems reasonable to me.
Reply 7
There is no grade inflation with degrees, there's just way more people who have them now. This is a pretty obvious consequence of putting too many people through university relatively to the amount of graduate roles there are. For some reason Labour thought the order you're meant to do things is supply first then demand second, instead of demand that you supply. We're going to end up going down the Japanese route where people with degrees work in McDonalds before long.
Thats not the case anyway. Im pretty sure a 1st from East london or University of Bolton would be worth less than a 2:1 from say UEA or Lincoln
Reply 9
Seems reasonable enough, but also what University you went to and what degree you studied e.g. a degree in mathematical economics, or a science/ mathematical degree will have greater derived demand by employers due to the industry they enter ( banking, finance in general) and so it's no wonder the employment rates of those graduates are higher with higher salaries..

Still English degree's are respected yet there's less derived demand, but still good for many jobs.
Original post by Elipsis
There is no grade inflation with degrees, there's just way more people who have them now. This is a pretty obvious consequence of putting too many people through university relatively to the amount of graduate roles there are. For some reason Labour thought the order you're meant to do things is supply first then demand second, instead of demand that you supply. We're going to end up going down the Japanese route where people with degrees work in McDonalds before long.

I know quite a few graduates who are in McDonalds :frown:

I think it is still about the whole package more than just academic performance, if you've got lots of experience and strong references then you might be able to slip a little on the grades. People can't just rely on a degree to get a job like they might have in the past, employers want a lot more and why not? It's a buyers market!
Reply 11
Original post by balloon_parade
I know quite a few graduates who are in McDonalds :frown:

I think it is still about the whole package more than just academic performance, if you've got lots of experience and strong references then you might be able to slip a little on the grades. People can't just rely on a degree to get a job like they might have in the past, employers want a lot more and why not? It's a buyers market!

Don't tell anyone this, but i've heard you can look for businesses that have recently closed and put them down as a reference :shh:
Reply 12
I've applied for CEO at every company listed on the FTSE 100, and i haven't even had any interviews. Is it because i have a Ph.D in African Dancing Studies?
Original post by Elipsis
Don't tell anyone this, but i've heard you can look for businesses that have recently closed and put them down as a reference :shh:

I'd be careful about doing this, I applied for a summer job and they wanted references from everyone I'd worked for in the last 2 years. (which was a lot as I'd worked part-time in a few places) This was for a 5 week summer job! :eek:
They may be considering it, but it certainly isn't true now. I make tea for a living... but it's a job at the end of the day, not complaining.
Original post by AverageExcellence
Thats not the case anyway. Im pretty sure a 1st from East london or University of Bolton would be worth less than a 2:1 from say UEA or Lincoln

Really? Lincoln is your go-to high end university?
Original post by vandub
Really? Lincoln is your go-to high end university?

No, i didnt want to be the stereo-typical 'hey lets jump on the band wagon and really kiss up to oxbridge'. Im trying to be original see?

Lincoln is much better than bolton.

Good job making yourself look like a stuck up dick.

lol at neggers, Im not going lincoln and never applied there. I plucked it out of thin air. Bit pathetic tbh
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
all your degree grade tells people is that you are good/not good at writing essays or exams. for example: i am on a teaching degree, i have a lot more practical experience and knowledge than a lot of people on my course, but i am not good at writing academically.
so some people on my course who in my opinion will not make good teachers, are going to leave with a 1st and appear to be better for the job because they are good at writing.

i think this needs to change for some degrees
Looks like I need to aim higher. Soon getting a 1st won't be enough, it will be based on how much experience you got.
Reply 19
Original post by AverageExcellence

Good job making yourself look like a stuck up dick.

Easy tiger.

Quick Reply

Latest