The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good film to watch

Scroll to see replies

The Ladykillers
Lavendar Hil Mob (All ealing comedies really)
Mandy
The Red Shoes
The Black Narcissus
If you want to go older then Charlie Chaplin or Mary Pickford films
Sunrise: A song of two humans.
Carry_on_camping.jpg
Reply 4142
A Streetcar Named Desire, based on Tennessee Williams' play. Marlon Brando and Vivien Leigh, very attractive couple!!
Peeping Tom

Once upon a time the west
Not exactly 40's-60's, but oh well.

Casablanca
Reefer Madness
Un Chien Andalou
A Streetcar Named Desire! It's an excellent movie and Marlon Brando is gorgeous (as is Vivian Leigh)

Gone With the Wind if you haven't already seen it.

Roman Holiday is awesome.

To Kill a Mockingbird.

Calamity Jane.
It's a Wonderful Life :smile:
Reply 4147
Some excellent silent films:

Battleship Potemkin
Metropolis
The Passion of Joan of Arc
City Lights
12 angry men, a classic!
Reply 4149
I think School for Scoundrels was released around then. Classic, classic movie. Also look up some Marx Brothers stuff and the "Road to" movies.
Everything by Ingmar Bergman, Sergio Leone, Hitchcock and Jodorowsky.
Zodiac - 2007 by David Fincher is one of the best movies ever. For anyone who is interested in true crime i would highly recommend it. Not a slasher but just a superbly crafted thriller that perfectly captures the essence of 1960s/70s America.

It also has one helluva soundtrack =)
I definitely recommend Dead Poet's Society - Really shocking ending to the storyline and Robin Williams is just awesome throughout.

Out of interest, has anyone ever seen Good Morning Vietnam? I'm tempted to try it because I've heard some good reviews.
Original post by velvetbrain
Everything by Ingmar Bergman, Sergio Leone, Hitchcock and Jodorowsky.

...or presumably Kubrick (to judge by your sig :wink: )
Original post by Plato's Trousers
...or presumably Kubrick (to judge by your sig :wink: )

Absolutely! One of my favourites :biggrin:
Absolutely! One of my favourites :biggrin:

Kubrick can do no wrong! (well, not any more, obviously :rip: ).

I was fortunate enough to meet his wife, Christiane, in 2010 as I was organising a performance of 2001: A Space Odyssey with a live orchestra at the Southbank Centre. We also had Dan Richter (the guy who played Moonwatcher). It was incredible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Plato's Trousers
Kubrick can do no wrong! (well, not any more, obviously :rip: ).

I was fortunate enough to meet his wife, Christiane, in 2010 as I was organising a performance of 2001: A Space Odyssey with a live orchestra at the Southbank Centre. We also had Dan Richter (the guy who played Moonwatcher). It was incredible.

I just checked out your profile and you have amazing taste in movies, Blue Velvet is my all time favourite. It is a surreal masterpiece.

Is she a nice lady? I know his daughter was involved in Scientology from 1999-2010 and she pretty much had no contact with the Kubrick family. It is a shame really because she had talent, she wrote the score for Full Metal Jacket and that was excellent.
Momento
Machinist
The Billionaire (2011, Songyos Sugmakanan) - Foreign.

The Billionaire, also known as Top Secret, is a Thai biographical film released by GMM Tai Hub. The Billionaire tells the story of Itthipat Kulapongvanich and how he, at the age of 19, dropped out from university to launch a packaged fried seaweed business that is now Taokaenoi Food & Marketing and became one of Thailand's youngest (baht) billionaires.

Here's a trailer:
[video="youtube;HxbeZ6WjLCU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbeZ6WjLCU[/video]
I just checked out your profile and you have amazing taste in movies, Blue Velvet is my all time favourite. It is a surreal masterpiece.

Why thank you sir ..

Is she a nice lady?

Yes, she was very nice. She was really delighted that we were putting on the first ever screening of 2001 accompanied by a live orchestra. It was quite a feat actually as we were using a print which had had the music track removed and the conductor had to keep pace very precisely indeed to match the cuts in the movie.

I know his daughter was involved in Scientology from 1999-2010 and she pretty much had no contact with the Kubrick family. It is a shame really because she had talent, she wrote the score for Full Metal Jacket and that was excellent.

That would be the daughter who appeared in the movie 2001 (she is the toddler that Heywood Floyd "videophones" from the space station - once again, Stanley was prescient in imagining how we would be communicating with Skype, facetime etc)

Quick Reply

Latest