The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by LRC4321
Well its mainly due to me being predicted AAB with no fourth AS

I assume you're in your A2 year now? You may be predicted AAB but if you were to get AAA it could widen your options. Also some medical schools don't require a fourth AS and some which do would be able to let it slide if it's mentioned in your reference that your school doesn't do a fourth subject.
Long story short I went to a really crappy school and consequentially never got the grades at GCSE getting only 2 A's the rest B's, I got depressed because of that and screwed up my A levels getting BCD, so I did a third year and have got ABB (most likely) with AS maths, (im unsure on how I have done)

I have already applied to a course, but I feel I really had my heart set on medicine and since the whole depressed period was because of my school and that I couldn't apply, and just realising there's an access scheme can I apply for next year? also I don't know what to do as I already applied to a course and if I cancel my application then go apply to med access scheme I'm f***ed so I don't know what to do
Reply 162
I have just finished my AS's, have you been through med school or applying?
Reply 163
Original post by LRC4321
I have just finished my AS's, have you been through med school or applying?

Ah well that changes things :smile:. You can't really know your final predicted grades until your AS grades come back. Also you could potentially take a fourth AS during your A2 year to take care of that issue. I've applied twice, on a gap year now but have an offer, the med schools I applied to are in my sig.
Hi, i just wanted someone's opinion.

I did te Manchester Acess programme, and got offered ABB for medicine. I have my A in maths and chemistry, however with biology i'm not really sure if i will get the B, because i had to miss my jan biology exam for personal reasons :// so will manchester still accept me if i get AAC, assuming i did the MAP course :/ also if they didn't accept me this time round, will i be able to apply again next year.

I just have a gut feeling that i will not get the B, and everyone is like you will get it. Any responses are appreciated :smile:
Reply 165
Sorry to make another topic so soon.

I contacted a local college in Manchester about an access to medicine course (1 year). I was told I couldn't go for it as I have science A levels.

I've been thinking about it again recently. Are there any courses of this nature that DO accept people who have science A levels?
Original post by nadz22
Sorry to make another topic so soon.

I contacted a local college in Manchester about an access to medicine course (1 year). I was told I couldn't go for it as I have science A levels.

I've been thinking about it again recently. Are there any courses of this nature that DO accept people who have science A levels?

BM6 course at Southampton requires Chem and Bio at A level. Entry requirements are BCC at A Level (not in any particular subject)
(edited 11 years ago)
You do need to meet other criteria regarding financial and home life status, e.g. first generation to go into higher education, parents in receipt of a means tested benefit. But it's an excellent course that lasts a year and assures you a place on the 5 year BM5 program at Southampton.
Reply 168
Ah, my dad and sister have been to university though we're not rich by any means. Does that rule me out?
Original post by nadz22
Ah, my dad and sister have been to university though we're not rich by any means. Does that rule me out?

Nope. Your Dad going to Uni rules you out of that one, but you need to meet 2 criteria out of a few:

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

first generation applicant to higher education

parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

looked-after young people living in supported accommodation

in receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant

living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Hope this helps!
Reply 170
Original post by BethaneyJ
Nope. Your Dad going to Uni rules you out of that one, but you need to meet 2 criteria out of a few:

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you will be expected to provide documentary proof.

first generation applicant to higher education

parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

looked-after young people living in supported accommodation

in receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) or similar grant

living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Hope this helps!

I guess I don't fit the first one as you say since my dad went (as a mature student when I was born).
He gets the winter fuel allowance and has a buss pass, would that count? :tongue:
Never been in supported accommodation.
Never received EMA :frown: though I would get the maximum grant if I went to uni.
The last one is tricky. I live in Salford in greater manchester, but my postcode area has a mix of slums and affluent areas. I'll try and find out if it is in the lowest 20 percent.

No worries! Good luck! If you have any other questions etc feel free to ask.
Reply 172
I've sent them an email regarding the postcode thing, fingers crossed.

Are you currently on this course? Was it very tough to get into?
I finished it last year and am now BM5. It's a great course but yes it is very competitive to get into. There are around 1000 applicants and only 45 offers, with 30 places. It is possible though!! :smile: As long as you have the best PS you can and have enough knowledge to succeed at interview. :smile:

There are similar courses at UEA and Leeds (I think) called A2L and one at Kings College London (if you're from London).
Reply 174
As mentioned above, there are many Widening Access courses into Medicine available. The ones I know of:

-UEA - you have to show them evidence of benefits you receive. Not sure if this one is only for students living in or near Norwich, but it's worth finding out if you can apply.
-Southampton BM6 - again, evidence of benefits.
-King's College London EMDP - you have to live in a deprived area of London and attend a low-performing school.
-Access To Leeds - not sure about that one.
-Similar schemes at Sheffield and Manchester, which I've only heard bits and pieces about.
-Nottingham University Health Science Certificate - not sure about this one, I think it offers a route into Medicine but I don't know how the system works.
-Bradford University, Clinical Science - Foundation Year and Year 1 offer routes into Medicine for students who have all the right attributes to become good doctors but not necessarily the right subjects and/or grades.

Hope that helps. :smile:
I have an interview at the Nicholls campus next week, and was wondering if anyone knew much about the interview procedures?

Thanks a lot.
Very informal, very quick. Very few questions - really they only ask you why you want to study science - I imagine your answer will be 'so I can apply to uni', which is all they're after hearing.

Is Nicholls in north Manchester btw?
...for those that dont do science a-levels or those that dont have the right grades for the 5 year course?

I have heard that it depends, if so, could someone please tell me which ones are for people that dont have the right grades for the normal 5 year medicine course.

Thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by FootyMad123
...for those that dont do science a-levels or those that dont have the right grades for the 5 year course?

I have heard that it depends, if so, could someone please tell me which ones are for people that dont have the right grades for the normal 5 year medicine course.

Thanks.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I always thought it was for those without the right subjects, but I could be wrong?
Reply 179
I think UEA have one for those with lower grades. Bear in mind these courses will have other entry criteria though, such as having to live in a deprived area, etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending