The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

a level entry requirements advice?

Hi I want to get into LSE to do Investment banking I just want to know what I would need to do to get into LSE first and then become an investment banker..

I know the obvious like choosing relevant courses at a level and getting A/A*'s in them but does anyone have any tips to help increase my chances etc.

Until earlier I was going to choose 3 A levels that I would focus on and make sure I get my A's/A*'s but now that I heard that I need some help to know if its really true..

I'm now going to choose :

Maths
Economics
Physics
Chemistry(4th)

Opinions?
I don't think investment banking is a standalone course?

I think most people just study economics and then try to get a job in a firm.

Personally i never understood why people put so much focus on money.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by theandyguthrie
I don't think investment banking is a standalone course?

I think most people just study economics and then try to get a job in a firm.

Personally i never understood why people put so much focus on money.

For me the money and big bonuses aren't the motivators in investment banking I've always had an interest in finance and how great of an effect it makes on everyday living.

[I want to do investment banking i like travelling and eventually i see myself as retiring early and going into teaching once I've made enough to sustain my lifestyle]

Investment Banking isn't everything for me id happily go into something physics related.

But what did you mean when you went to say stand alone course? I really don't know much :colondollar:
LSE does not do an 'investment banking' degree. As the person before me said most people just do economics then try and get a job in one of the IB firms.
Reply 4
Original post by TayiabMahmood
Hi I want to get into LSE to do Investment banking I just want to know what I would need to do to get into LSE first and then become an investment banker..

I know the obvious like choosing relevant courses at a level and getting A/A*'s in them but does anyone have any tips to help increase my chances etc.

Until earlier I was going to choose 3 A levels that I would focus on and make sure I get my A's/A*'s but now that I heard that I need some help to know if its really true..

I'm now going to choose :

Maths
Economics
Physics
Chemistry(4th)

Opinions?

why isn't your main aim oxbridge?

and what course are you even applying for?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
See that's the thing, I always thought that there was a 'investment banking degree' that you'd have to get to even stand a chance in investment banking and lse would be the appropriate place to get it which is wrong by the sound of things.

I know so little about uni's from what I just said before you'll now know why I didn't even consider oxbridge I've always considered certain uni's to be tailored to different job sectors.

Could you guys just tell me what you did and anything else you know to get into these top russell uni's I think I should focus on getting into these uni's first then consider what job as the a levels I'm going to take are very open

As far as my school goes you have to have 7a*-A's predicted by teachers to be even considered worthy of knowing how to get into the top uni's so any info would be highly appreciated,

Thanks
For me the money and big bonuses aren't the motivators in investment banking I've always had an interest in finance and how great of an effect it makes on everyday living.

[I want to do investment banking i like travelling and eventually i see myself as retiring early and going into teaching once I've made enough to sustain my lifestyle]

Investment Banking isn't everything for me id happily go into something physics related.

But what did you mean when you went to say stand alone course? I really don't know much :colondollar:

If you like travelling, why exactly are you determined to get a job working in an office for 100 hours a week? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
See that's the thing, I always thought that there was a 'investment banking degree' that you'd have to get to even stand a chance in investment banking and lse would be the appropriate place to get it which is wrong by the sound of things.

I know so little about uni's from what I just said before you'll now know why I didn't even consider oxbridge I've always considered certain uni's to be tailored to different job sectors.

Could you guys just tell me what you did and anything else you know to get into these top russell uni's I think I should focus on getting into these uni's first then consider what job as the a levels I'm going to take are very open

As far as my school goes you have to have 7a*-A's predicted by teachers to be even considered worthy of knowing how to get into the top uni's so any info would be highly appreciated,

Thanks

To be an investment banker you should probably take economics

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Economics_Degree

There is a tonne of stuff there including a course overview, admissions, course structure, life as an economics student, graduate destinations and career prospects and also FAQs on that page, I would read it and if you still have any specific questions then ask in here again
Reply 8
Original post by HeyyImRyan
If you like travelling, why exactly are you determined to get a job working in an office for 100 hours a week? :s-smilie:

Once you become a good banker doesn't it consist of a lot of travelling like the firm sends you off to different places ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending