The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

ADHD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by scottkincaid
The drugs you get for 'ADHD' is more of a relaxant, so it 'mongs you out'... Which in conclusion: If you have 'ADHD' and you take your pills/medication then you aren't going to be in a state of mind fit for learning because you will be chilled out.

However, I know of people that don't take their medication on purpose to be little ****s basically. So you can't win.

You can't really just claim that medication doesn't work. Do you have any idea the number of years of long term trials and analysis a drug goes through to be accepted as a prescription medicine.

Also, for those of you against it, there's research showing that the problem is actually hard wired into people's brains. They think it's because of the recent changes in children's TV; very short shows, like 10 minutes, are played in very quick succession so kids don't become used to focusing for a long time.

One more thing, it has had a huge effect on my education, I am not unintelligent at all, but the style of exams disregard ADHD people's ability and don't serve their purpose of measuring intelligence, but instead measure how long you can focus on simple things.

(I think some of what I wrote probably doesn't have the same effect of what I meant, but you catch my drift with it :smile: )
Reply 141
Original post by suttd
You can't really just claim that medication doesn't work. Do you have any idea the number of years of long term trials and analysis a drug goes through to be accepted as a prescription medicine.

It would be easier to accept the usefulness of the medication if the drug companies didn't have such a big part to play in it (and massive financial interest which is not always so apparent to us in the UK).

Original post by suttd
Also, for those of you against it, there's research showing that the problem is actually hard wired into people's brains. They think it's because of the recent changes in children's TV; very short shows, like 10 minutes, are played in very quick succession so kids don't become used to focusing for a long time.

I think we have suggested this as a possibility more than once earlier in this topic, but if you have a link to the research that backs this up that would certainly be interesting reading.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 142
Unrelated to the above it is also suggested that Fluoride, Lead and Mercury could be possible causes of ADHD.
Reply 143
I love my prescription
I wouldn't be able to do anything. Usually when i dont take it i am often very close to getting into car crashes/collusions. If medication is helping me get better grades and stop me from killing myself then im happy.

stop hatin on ritalin its the cure to all my pain and unhappiness
Reply 144
Original post by ufo2012
Unrelated to the above it is also suggested that Fluoride, Lead and Mercury could be possible causes of ADHD.

yo shut up
Reply 145
Original post by unoh
I love my prescription
I wouldn't be able to do anything. Usually when i dont take it i am often very close to getting into car crashes/collusions. If medication is helping me get better grades and stop me from killing myself then im happy.

stop hatin on ritalin its the cure to all my pain and unhappiness

And if this poster is serious is not a troll this is exactly the problem... sounds like serious help is needed and its not Ritalin
ADHD IS A TRAIT NOT AN ILLNESS.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 147
Original post by williewalliewoolie
ADHD IS A TRAIT NOT AN ILLNESS.

:thumbsup:
Reply 148
Just.... wow

This is not entirely new, as it was suspected for some time by various parties, but:

GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is to pay $3bn (ÂŁ1.9bn) in the largest healthcare fraud settlement in US history.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18673220

The drug giant is to plead guilty to promoting two drugs for unapproved uses and failing to report safety data about a diabetes drug to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

The case concerns the drugs Paxil, Wellbutrin and Avandia.

Deputy US Attorney General James Cole told a news conference in Washington DC that the settlement was "unprecedented in both size and scope".

In addition, GSK has been found guilty of paying kickbacks to doctors.

And on it goes...

The drugs of interest here are Paxil and Wellbutrin. Paxil primarily used for treatment of depression, though some years ago they thought it could be useful for some ADHD kids (but in many cases found out to the detriment, this and many other issues associated with Paxil, so they scaled back on this). Wellbutrin then took a similar position, so a kid could be found on Ritalin + Wellbutrin to help them.

Although these 'drugs' will probably disappear and no longer be used, be sure that something else will come along and take their place.

It helps show where the interests of the drug companies really are though... for all we know, the same some day could happen with Ritalin.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 149
Original post by scottkincaid
I don't mean to offend anybody with ADHD or anybody that knows somebody with ADHD. I have a friend that has it too.

I honestly think that it is a lot of nonsense. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Somebody with ADHD can spit in a teachers face and get away with it and called 'brave' and receive a new gaming console or something. If somebody like you or me did it we'd probably be kicked out of education personally.

I just think that it's an awful reason for parents to justify why their child/children are misbehaving.

I would say that it's a little bit too far to call it a disability.

What are your thoughts on this?

I can understand your annoyance, perhaps some blame more than they should on those conditions, but that doesn't mean they don't exist at all. A number of my friends have dyslexia and I know a few who have similar things to ADHD, and it is a genuine problem, with biological (i.e. neuroscience/brainy based) issues rather than an inherent character flaw.

But yes, I do fear some parents justify more than they should using it.
Reply 150
Original post by ufo2012
And if this poster is serious is not a troll this is exactly the problem... sounds like serious help is needed and its not Ritalin

i think you are a troll
Reply 151
Original post by unoh
i think you are a troll

Take a look in the mirror mister!
Reply 152
Original post by ufo2012
Take a look in the mirror mister!

hey mister guess what ill sell u some ritalin and u can run away and leave everyone alone.
Original post by JCC-MGS
Gonna take a wild guess you know **** all about ADHD

Gonna take a wild guess... you have ADHD?
Reply 154
Original post by unoh
hey mister guess what ill sell u some ritalin and u can run away and leave everyone alone.

No thanks keep your ritalin don't want anything to do with it and if it bothers you so much just keep out of this thread!

Original post by Muscovite
Gonna take a wild guess... you have ADHD?

lol ... 'supposedly have it you mean? It's getting difficult to tell the reality of it all!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ufo2012

lol ... 'supposedly have it you mean? It's getting difficult to tell the reality of it all!

That is true - you may just lack social skills - I wouldn't know unless you posted a doctors report so I'm only assuming
Reply 156
Original post by Muscovite
That is true - you may just lack social skills - I wouldn't know unless you posted a doctors report so I'm only assuming

lol it's not me, I just quoted...

But yeah, a doctor's report would be good then we can be sure :wink:
Reply 157
Not my findings, but... opinions on these?

Possible triggers for ADHD:

1. Food intolerances
2. Heavy Metals
3. Antibiotics
4. Candida
5. Blood sugar imbalance
6. Low Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin B6, Omega-3
7. Head Injury
8. Low pH

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/ADHDcauses.html
http://www.healthymagination.com/blog/what-triggers-adhd/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/344679-foods-that-trigger-adhd/
Reply 158
I feel you're associating ADHD with the way it's being handled in britain. I think there's a problem in the UK with having someone diagnosed with any disability and classifying them as "disabled." It's become a whole culture where people are trying so hard to be politically correct, they feel afraid to look at the issues and handle them correctly. They simply slap a "disabled" sticker on everyone who has a slight condition and give them all benefits like parking spots.

I have ADD (same thing as ADHD, basically). Or at least I've been told I have it from two neurologists after they did an EEG brain scan. I don't feel entitled to a free laptop or for the government to pay for a taxi for me. The only difference between me and someone "normal" is that my brain has a SLIGHTLY harder time converting information into short-term memory, and subsequently long-term memory. Realistically, this just means I have to spend a few more minutes studying.

I understand and share your aversion to the treatment of people classified as "disabled" but you must understand that this has nothing to do with the disorders themselves. This is the goverment trying to avoid a lawsuit from a few lawyer-happy people.

As to people who think ADHD isn't real, they know **** all about it. Sure, its effects are blown out of proportions sometimes, and there are kids who get diagnosed with it and don't really have it, but saying it doesn't exist is just idiotic. It's like saying schizophrenics need to shut up and realize what's real and what isn't.
Reply 159
Original post by KasanDude
I feel you're associating ADHD with the way it's being handled in britain. I think there's a problem in the UK with having someone diagnosed with any disability and classifying them as "disabled." It's become a whole culture where people are trying so hard to be politically correct, they feel afraid to look at the issues and handle them correctly. They simply slap a "disabled" sticker on everyone who has a slight condition and give them all benefits like parking spots.

I don't think we have actually determined this to be this case or not yet.

We discussed this earlier in this thread, but could not determine if anyone who has ADHD has actually been labelled as disabled and/or listed it on an application form and/or given a disabled badge or not for it.

Methinks those with ADHD/ADD in employment are too afraid to speak up here, still waiting to hear from someone in this position.

Original post by KasanDude
I understand and share your aversion to the treatment of people classified as "disabled" but you must understand that this has nothing to do with the disorders themselves. This is the goverment trying to avoid a lawsuit from a few lawyer-happy people.

That makes it appear then that the government obviously don't fully understand it, but then I guess how could they when many psychologists have the same problem(s) and haven't reached firm conclusions on all of it. The government are relying on these people as "experts" but I don't know how we can label them so when they don't yet have the final and definitive answers on the subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending