The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purplefrog
In the grand scheme of things, it is very unlikely they'll let you through. I know more people who ended up in tears on results day with UCLMS than being pleasantly surprised they got in despite missing grades. Phone-calls you make on results day onwards are unlikely to cut it - remember, they receive your results before you do and have that time inbetween to decide whether to make exceptions or not. If you've not made that exception, and been let in before results day, its unlikely that any amount of phone calls or emails will change things around.

Was thinking this exactly. Oh well better hope for the best :biggrin:
Reply 1721
What's stopping you from informing medical admissions? The sooner you tell them about your concerns, the better it reflects upon you - especially as you do have (what I see to be) a possibly genuine case for consideration. The later you leave it to inform them, the more it looks like you are scraping the barrel for excuses. You're the first person I've heard of in your situation, sounds like an incredibly rare one if I'm honest with you. But I do personally know people who have got into medical school (UCL, my year and years above, as well as several others) despite missing their offer - however most of them have no idea why as on results day their UCAS offer turned unconditional (this happens when you've met your offer and the uni admits you) however when they checked their results they'd missed their grades - our best speculation is that UCL liked their application and interview enough to let them in all the same. Though obviously don't bank on this happening, as I one of my closest friends missed their offer by a handful of UMS and the university wouldn't reconsider despite several emails and phone-calls post-results-day.

and whoever negged me... just why? :rolleyes:

I'm really sorry, I negged you by mistake(silly smart phone with a miniature screen-my finger just missed the ''QUOTE'' target) and can't remove it now.

I will be sending them an email then to inform them of my situation: it is surely the best thing to do.
At first I thought it might disadvantage me because it would have seemed like I was "scraping the barrel for excuses" as you say.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 1722
What accommodation are people going for?
Reply 1723
Just reminding everyone, if they haven't already, to send in the Health Certificate form by 31st May!
Hey guys considering applying for medicine next year at UCL, was wondering if someone could advise me on how strongly UCL consider UMS grades ?

I got this email from them "UMS marks, along with all other academic information, are assessed in determining a score for the overall application. Candidates who do not provide UMS marks on their application may be requested to submit their AS module result certificates."

But it's kinda ambiguous, i think most of mine are going to be around the mid-80%, anyone have experience if this is OK, or if this even matters that much ?
Original post by Orinincandenza
Hey guys considering applying for medicine next year at UCL, was wondering if someone could advise me on how strongly UCL consider UMS grades ?

I got this email from them "UMS marks, along with all other academic information, are assessed in determining a score for the overall application. Candidates who do not provide UMS marks on their application may be requested to submit their AS module result certificates."

But it's kinda ambiguous, i think most of mine are going to be around the mid-80%, anyone have experience if this is OK, or if this even matters that much ?

I emailed them about this ages ago, I'll try and dig it out of my inbox if I can.

On the open day, the the person touring me around said that most people have A*AA predictions, therefore we can assume that they had one AS over 90% and the others in the 80s.

Overall, I think it's like everything at UCL: it's helpful, but not essential. If you can compensate for it in other areas of your application (eg sports etc.) then you'll be fine. Although you should definitely try and get all As at AS, that will help a lot.

Oh and if you don't include your UMS on your reference, they'll ask your school to submit your scores. Afaik you won't have to do anything.
Original post by SaintSoldier
I emailed them about this ages ago, I'll try and dig it out of my inbox if I can.

On the open day, the the person touring me around said that most people have A*AA predictions, therefore we can assume that they had one AS over 90% and the others in the 80s.

Overall, I think it's like everything at UCL: it's helpful, but not essential. If you can compensate for it in other areas of your application (eg sports etc.) then you'll be fine. Although you should definitely try and get all As at AS, that will help a lot.

Oh and if you don't include your UMS on your reference, they'll ask your school to submit your scores. Afaik you won't have to do anything.

Right, yeah, i guess it's difficult to gauge exactly how much it matters, still if any current students had any kind of experience with this ?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341698269218669/ This is the official one. Ignore any other groups.
Work began on your freshers fortnight around two months ago :grin:
Reply 1728
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341698269218669/ This is the official one. Ignore any other groups.
Work began on your freshers fortnight around two months ago :grin:

Fortnight!!!! I thought it a week lol, or is that another med student privilege?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by nikhil.shah
Fortnight!!!! I thought it a week lol, or is that another med student privilege?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well we plan for a fortnight, though your lectures will have begun, though the first unit is virtually untested in your final exams as unlike other unis you don't go through the biochemistry at this point in the course.

And yes, compared to most courses at UCL, you will get a fortnight as opposed to a week.
Reply 1730
Hi,

I'm dead set on UCL it's my first choice, I'm applying in 2013. I went to a neurology lecture a few months ago at the UCL Chemistry building and managed to take a look round the medical faculty ^^ - It's amazing for people who don't know!

More importantly, I was wondering whether anyone could enlighten me about their thoughts on the International Bacc, as that's what I'm studying. Are they at all bias? I don't think they are but y'never know. Also, my predictions are as follows:

Biology HL - 6/7
Chemistry HL - 6
Geography HL - 7
Maths - 6
English - 7
French - 5:s-smilie:
T.O.K - 2

SO overall a possible 40, UCL ask for 38, am I in any danger? Will this get me an interview? Also I'm so nervous about the BMAT I feel so unprepared!! Any help or advise?!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I look forward to your responses!!
Original post by WillMigo
Hi,

I'm dead set on UCL it's my first choice, I'm applying in 2013. I went to a neurology lecture a few months ago at the UCL Chemistry building and managed to take a look round the medical faculty ^^ - It's amazing for people who don't know!

More importantly, I was wondering whether anyone could enlighten me about their thoughts on the International Bacc, as that's what I'm studying. Are they at all bias? I don't think they are but y'never know. Also, my predictions are as follows:

Biology HL - 6/7
Chemistry HL - 6
Geography HL - 7
Maths - 6
English - 7
T.O.K - 2

SO overall a possible 40, UCL ask for 38, am I in any danger? Will this get me an interview? Also I'm so nervous about the BMAT I feel so unprepared!! Any help or advise?!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Hi! Congrats on realising the greatness of UCL :tongue:

I just finished the IB, applied to UCL, sat the BMAT and got an offer so hopefully I'll be able to enlighten you.

There is absolutely no bias for or against the IB. Your predictions look very good, so you are not in danger. Then again, when it comes down to getting an interview, a higher prediction may make your application look sweeter. Having said that, a good BMAT and work experience and all the rest are equally important for UCL when they give out interview offers. I would definitely recommend trying get your predictions in both Biology and if all possible Chemistry up to 7s if you want to make your application really solid.

Don't panic about the BMAT. I never sat the UKCAT but I've come to understand that the BMAT is more humane than the UKCAT and less of your final score is based on lucky guesses as they give you more time to attempt a solution. You still have plenty of time to prepare for it. I would suggest buying a BMAT book and refreshing the topics the test would cover and then do loads of past exams.

With 6s and 7s at HL Chemistry and Biology, and a 6 in Math SL the BMAT should be a breeze (not really but you get my drift :tongue:).

Feel free to PM about IB or UCL application if you need any help. I have nothing but time now that the exams are over :wink:
Reply 1732
Thanks for the rapid reply!

Well for work experience I've got 4 weeks at GOSH, so hopefully that'll be good for my personal statement!

It would be nice to get a 7 for chemistry, really nice. I'll try, I really will! ^^

Yeah I'll pm you If I come over any discrepancies and what not.

Thanks again!:smile:
Hi,

Biology HL - 6/7
Chemistry HL - 6
Geography HL - 7
Maths - 6
English - 7
T.O.K - 2

No biases for/against IB students. Just make sure you're predicted at least the minimum they require. Interview selection depends on your PS, BMAT scores and possibly your reference.

Thanks for the rapid reply!

Well for work experience I've got 4 weeks at GOSH, so hopefully that'll be good for my personal statement!

It would be nice to get a 7 for chemistry, really nice. I'll try, I really will! ^^

Yeah I'll pm you If I come over any discrepancies and what not.

Thanks again!:smile:

It won't mean a thing. The fact you have 4 weeks work experience might be good, but GOSH in itself means absolutely nothing. Don't get too hooked up onto the fact that you've got work experience at a prestigious hospital. When you come to writing your PS, you'll find its not even worth putting in the hospital(s) name of where you did it as it eats up precious characters.
Reply 1734
Well, I hope to become a future Neurosurgeon, I got the work experience in Neurosurgery and Neurology so perhaps it can take up a few characters in my PS?
Well, I hope to become a future Neurosurgeon, I got the work experience in Neurosurgery and Neurology so perhaps it can take up a few characters in my PS?

Don't mention you want to go into neuro. And don't mention GOSH.
Just say something like "I had four weeks work experience in a neurosurgery and neurology ward..." to lead into it and then just talk about whatever you want related to it.
Reply 1736
okay thanks!
Reply 1737
Does anyone know what certificates we will all be asked for. I've already done my A-levels so I would expect those will be required, but would i need to find all my gcse certificates or just maths and english?

Thanks
Reply 1738
I went to the UCL open day and they said I had to declare my A levels but I thought all med schools had to do that? I was confused at first in thinking I would have to declare my UMS on my UCAS but Dr. Cross said that I could just put my A level results on there and they don't care?
Original post by chiny94
I went to the UCL open day and they said I had to declare my A levels but I thought all med schools had to do that?

No, you could put them as "pending" if you school allows you to.

I was confused at first in thinking I would have to declare my UMS on my UCAS but Dr. Cross said that I could just put my A level results on there and they don't care?

You only have to put the grade that you got at AS. UCL will contact your school separately to have a look at your AS scores. You may not be notified when this happens.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply