The Student Room Group

GCSEs are an utter joke

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Well, its all about exam technique rather than actual knowledge which is a shame for me, because I can never get the hang of the exam techniques.

And as for just turning up and getting an A*; what a load of BALLS!!
Reply 281
Fair enough GCSE's have to be accessible to a range of candidates, but that doesnt mean that the top grades should be given out easily. People at the top end need to be stretched further. People may think the education system in general works, but it clearly doesnt if the UK is slowly descending international league tables
GCSE's may be easier than they could be - in fact, they almost certainly are - but that doesn't mean that you can call them 'a joke'. I worked hard for my GCSE's as did most of my peers, and people claiming you can essentially turn up on the day and get an A* are the real joke.
An incredibly condescending comment, OP, and not in the funny Wonka way.
Reply 284
I know someone who turned up half an hour late to an English Lang exam having done no revision and still got an A* in that exam. If you put the work in during lessons you don't need to do that much revision, unlike at A level where it would be rather unwise to turn up to an exam without having done several past papers and revised topics you were unsure about.
Reply 285
Original post by Aldridge
Does anybody else agree GCSE's are a complete pisstake?

They are far too easy, you can practically turn up on the day and get an A* using common sense.

IMO they definitely need to make them far, far more difficult, to separate people with intelligence from people with common sense.

I realise you are a complete troll and seek to piss off students such as myself currently sitting their GCSEs which we've been studying for for 2 years, but overseeing this fact I merely pity you...I realise that my life will never be so rudimentary and boring that I have to seek glorification in the form of villainy through an anonymous medium such as the internet. Grow up and fix up.
Original post by JOR2010
You obviously didn't do English at GCSE, or even as far as KS2, judging by your response. If you however did, you probably failed miserably.

Ouch, send me to the burn ward. The jokes just keep coming. Seriously you're the next Michael Mcintyre.
:rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 287
You all are idiots saying you did **** all and got an A*, but if they are so ****ing easy, then why doesn't half the country get full marks. No they don't reflect actual intelligence, but still to go making out you did **** all and and got all A*s is pathetic. No one I know can do that (Eng Lang being the exception).

It's insulting to people like me who will get a few A*s, but mainly A's. So I am thick then? Is 90% of the country thick? Because on average, 10% of people per subject get A*.
Original post by Coke1
You all are idiots saying you did **** all and got an A*, but if they are so ****ing easy, then why doesn't half the country get full marks. No they don't reflect actual intelligence, but still to go making out you did **** all and and got all A*s is pathetic. No one I know can do that (Eng Lang being the exception).

It's insulting to people like me who will get a few A*s, but mainly A's. So I am thick then? Is 90% of the country thick? Because on average, 10% of people per subject get A*.

No, finding something "easy" is subjective to everyone

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Coke1

I revised a fair bit. But for a load of subjects I got A* with no revsiion. Maths I did nothing for and got 99% - how is that not an excpetion to your statemennt!!!
Original post by LuckyA
I realise you are a complete troll and seek to piss off students such as myself currently sitting their GCSEs which we've been studying for for 2 years, but overseeing this fact I merely pity you...I realise that my life will never be so rudimentary and boring that I have to seek glorification in the form of villainy through an anonymous medium such as the internet. Grow up and fix up.

I agree.. and sat them recently and agreed then.
Reply 291
I have just done my GCSE's and yes we are spoon fed alot but everyone needs GCSE's regardless if they are easy or not, but let me ask you if they are a
complete pisstake
then why doesnt everyone ace their GCSE's with A*??

and seperate intelligent people from people with common sense

What's that all about? It seems to me you would complain if they made GCSE's harder or if they made them easier, so you can't win at all really.
Reply 292
Original post by LuckyA

Everything I wanted to say but in smarter context, nicely done
Original post by NaomiHope
You need to read what I wrote again, I never said G.C.S.E's were easy, I said they were easier. They are easier, if they weren't then University's would surely rely on G.C.S.E's rather than A levels to secure a place on their courses. You need to stop talking out of your arse and making presumptions about a subject you obviously know little about and also about people, I couldn't give a **** if I "only" got an A, I would like to bet money on the fact that you probably didn't do so well in your G.C.S.E's! ( based on your appalling ability to structure simple sentences and your incorrect usage of grammar). Now who's the "saddo"?

Surely you are aware of Oxford's admission criteria? Oxford analyse the percentage A*s a student has acquired at GCSE to partially determine their capability of doing a course at their wonderous establishment. :rolleyes:
Original post by EnigmaticSpirit
Surely you are aware of Oxford's admission criteria? Oxford analyse the percentage A*s a student has acquired at GCSE to partially determine their capability of doing a course at their wonderous establishment. :rolleyes:

Incorrect. That may be the case for Medicine where it works together with the BMAT score (i.e. a "poor" GCSE profile can be enhanced by doing well in that test), but for other subjects, you're talking bull****.
Reply 295
Original post by Sabster
Congratulations on your A in additional Mathematics.

**** me you must be stupid.

You can't get higher than an A in additional Maths.
Reply 296
Original post by GreenLantern1
I revised a fair bit. But for a load of subjects I got A* with no revsiion. Maths I did nothing for and got 99% - how is that not an excpetion to your statemennt!!!

You definitely didn't do 'nothing' for it. Participation in class counts as doing something. Maybe you didn't revise - that's great. But you definitely did Maths work prior to the exams. You weren't born solving simultaneous equations.
Reply 297
Original post by Jam'
You definitely didn't do 'nothing' for it. Participation in class counts as doing something. Maybe you didn't revise - that's great. But you definitely did Maths work prior to the exams. You weren't born solving simultaneous equations.

Thank you. You took the words out of my mouth.
Original post by im so academic
Incorrect. That may be the case for Medicine where it works together with the BMAT score (i.e. a "poor" GCSE profile can be enhanced by doing well in that test), but for other subjects, you're talking bull****.

Thank you for correcting my ill-informed knowledge of the Oxford admission criteria. I assure you, it was formed solely from acknowledging comments from individuals and tutors at my college. It was an erroneous assertion that I am only partially liable for. Thanks again.
Original post by EnigmaticSpirit
Thank you for correcting my ill-informed knowledge of the Oxford admission criteria. I assure you, it was formed solely from acknowledging comments from individuals and tutors at my college. It was an erroneous assertion that I am only partially liable for. Thanks again.

What college and what are you studying there?

Besides, even if it came from your tutors, it is definitely not the case across ALL subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest