The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaosFalling
Yeah, the close distance to Tesco as well the library sealed it for me, Ive now put it down as my first choice :smile:

Purely speculative question, but how popular is Claycroft for accommodation requests? I've only just confirmed my choices just now and bear in mind I'm also a home student postgrad, would you suggest it likely that I get my first choice allocation of Claycroft, or is it usually very popular to the point where i'll likely miss out and will have to settle for my less preferred choices?

Honestly couldn't say for sure. I know this last year (and afaik this coming year too) every finalist UG got the accommodation they put as first choice if they were offered campus. I imagine it could be similar for PG...
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 4901
Original post by ChaosFalling
Yeah, the close distance to Tesco as well the library sealed it for me, Ive now put it down as my first choice :smile:

Purely speculative question, but how popular is Claycroft for accommodation requests? I've only just confirmed my choices just now and bear in mind I'm also a home student postgrad, would you suggest it likely that I get my first choice allocation of Claycroft, or is it usually very popular to the point where i'll likely miss out and will have to settle for my less preferred choices?

I'm not really sure either although, for undergraduates at least, ensuite accommodation tends to be fairly popular so since Claycroft isn't ensuite you may be more likely to get it.
Reply 4902
Hi guys,

Need some advice here. The accomodation choices in my prefered order are:

1. Arthur Vick
2. Sherbourne
3. Bluebell
4. Off campus
5. Don't know yet

What are the chances of me securing my first or second choice taking into account that I have put down Warwick as my insurance choice on UCAS ?
Reply 4903
I out Whitefields as my first choice, cheaper than the rest. Cost is my main concern so that comes first, everything else like bathrooms and catering doesn't matter because I like new changes and I'm good at adapting to new situations, to be honest.
Do you think on campus accommodation is better than UNITE in terms of standards? I've got so many e-mails from them. A friend of mine has chosen UNITE, but I think on campus accommodation is much better! Any ideas?
Original post by jimmyhe07
Do you think on campus accommodation is better than UNITE in terms of standards? I've got so many e-mails from them. A friend of mine has chosen UNITE, but I think on campus accommodation is much better! Any ideas?

I would always choose campus accommodation for your first year. There's nothing quite like being 2 minutes away from everything. You'll miss barrelling out of the SU at 2am and being able to collapse straight into bed without the faff of ordering taxis to Leam/Cov. You'll also miss being able to roll out of bed at 8.58 for your 9am lecture :tongue: . It's just more convenient :dontknow:

DEFINITELY go on campus if you can for first year. And even go for finalist accommodation if you fancy it later on. It's so much more convenient and your social life in first year is likely to be based upon the people you live with in halls...
Original post by georgia
Honestly couldn't say for sure. I know this last year (and afaik this coming year too) every finalist UG got the accommodation they put as first choice if they were offered campus. I imagine it could be similar for PG...

Not true for this year - me and my group of friends got our second choice :smile:
Original post by Nirgilis
I would always choose campus accommodation for your first year. There's nothing quite like being 2 minutes away from everything. You'll miss barrelling out of the SU at 2am and being able to collapse straight into bed without the faff of ordering taxis to Leam/Cov. You'll also miss being able to roll out of bed at 8.58 for your 9am lecture :tongue: . It's just more convenient :dontknow:

thanks!
Hey I was wondering, is it horrible if I get allotted westwood? like will i be missing out on all the fun stuff happening on the main campus site? How long a walk is it? :confused:
Original post by Narev
Your username is...quite apt. Have you tried reading the first page?

The time on those quotes is about 4 years old, would like a more recent review not a snide one...
Reply 4911
Original post by royalpain93
Hey I was wondering, is it horrible if I get allotted westwood? like will i be missing out on all the fun stuff happening on the main campus site? How long a walk is it? :confused:

It's not horrible - Westwood is awesome! You could easily get to varius areas of main campus in about 10-20 minutes depending on whereabouts you're going from/to.

The time on those quotes is about 4 years old, would like a more recent review not a snide one...

Those reviews are still valid. Although some recent changes that are worth mentioning are that the postroom is now only available in Westwood (you'll need to go there if you're posted a parcel) and there's a shortcut from Westwood to campus via Milburn house (42 on the map) that reduces travel time by a little bit.

I'd go for campus accommodation, it's much more convenient as you won't have to get the bus in every day-and also you might feel a bit left out not being with any Warwick students in your first year!
What's cryfield like? It's so cheap compared to some of the others! Is it because it's not great or just that there's less luxuries?
Reply 4914
Just applying for my accommodation and noticed that Sherbourne, which I assumed was going to be fairly similar to Bluebell, is actually a lot cheaper (bluebell £5850 sherbourne £4563). I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason for this? I was originally going to put bluebell as my third choice but am wondering if sherbourne would now be better due to the slightly cheaper price? any thoughts?

Westwood isn't bad at all. I actually liked it. It's a pain if your courses are in Gibbet Hill, but if you're in Maths/CS, the shortcut around Millburn house makes getting to lectures fairly painless. I did notice that our block tended to go out more to events in Leam/B'ham/Cov, rather than union events.

It's not horrible, just more inconvenient if you're up at Gibbet Hill :tongue: . You'll end up doing union stuff with your flatmates anyway, so the walk back is all part of the fun!

And if you're on your own and don't fancy the walk, the university runs a shuttle bus between Westwood and main campus for you :smile:
Original post by Ame.
Just applying for my accommodation and noticed that Sherbourne, which I assumed was going to be fairly similar to Bluebell, is actually a lot cheaper (bluebell £5850 sherbourne £4563). I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason for this? I was originally going to put bluebell as my third choice but am wondering if sherbourne would now be better due to the slightly cheaper price? any thoughts?

Probably cos Bluebell is right next to the SU and Sherbourne is quite far out (near Lakeside).
Original post by Ame.

Size of room: Bluebell has room size of 15.4 sq metres, compared to Sherbourne's 12.69 sq metres.
Kitchen sharing: Bluebell has around 8 people per flat compared to around 12 for Sherbourne.
Double bed: Double bed in Bluebell, singles in Sherbourne.

And that's probably about it.
Original post by jameswhughes
I'd go for campus accommodation, it's much more convenient as you won't have to get the bus in every day-and also you might feel a bit left out not being with any Warwick students in your first year!

thanks man!

Quick Reply