The Student Room Group

Nuffield science bursary

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by FootyMad123
I am a bit confused with the Nuffield science bursary, and was wondering if anyone could help me.
I understand that they try to find you a placement, but if I want to organise it by myself, how do I go about doing it?

P.S. I have just 'registered my interest' recently and I am waiting for a reply, presumably with an application form or something.

There is simply an extra section of the application form to fill in if you want to arrange your own placement.

I applied this year for a placement related to computer science, not sure how many placements would actually be available for this though since most people apply for medicine/physics etc.
Reply 41
Anyone here applying for the NIMR?
Reply 42
Original post by chignesh10
Anyone here applying for the NIMR?

Hi
I really want to but I live in Leeds which is hours away from London so I don't know where I'd stay :/ , does anyone know if they do on site accommodation?
Are you gonna apply?
Reply 43
Original post by anjipanji
Hi
I really want to but I live in Leeds which is hours away from London so I don't know where I'd stay :/ , does anyone know if they do on site accommodation?
Are you gonna apply?

Yeah I've done my application but gonna give it to my teachers and then improve it and hand it in.
Not sure, you should email them
Reply 44
Yeah I will do, I'll talk to my teachers about it too Because I dont think they've ever heard of it.I can't go i might just apply to my regional coordinator for a nuffield bursary. How confident are you about being accepted?

Well, I am doing this as some experience for what I am going to do at uni, so it owuld be helpful if i got accepted, but NIMR take 1 in 4 usually so not very. you?
Deadline is pretty soon btw so u should do it quickily
Reply 45
Well, I am doing this as some experience for what I am going to do at uni, so it owuld be helpful if i got accepted, but NIMR take 1 in 4 usually so not very. you?
Deadline is pretty soon btw so u should do it quickily

I'm the same as you, I want to do biomedical sciences or natural sciences at uni and this experience sounds amazing not to mention the things it'll give you to talk about in an interview.

I've just emailed the coordinator at nimr, the deadlines the 26 th april isn't it? Do you know how many apply? Hopefully I can sort out an application in the next week.
Reply 46
I'm the same as you, I want to do biomedical sciences or natural sciences at uni and this experience sounds amazing not to mention the things it'll give you to talk about in an interview.

I've just emailed the coordinator at nimr, the deadlines the 26 th april isn't it? Do you know how many apply? Hopefully I can sort out an application in the next week.

Yeah, i asked them, they said 12-15 get in and around 45-50 apply usually.
Reply 47
Yeah, i asked them, they said 12-15 get in and around 45-50 apply usually.

Oh thanks. How long did it take for you to get a reply by email to your q's? I'm too impatient lol.Good luck getting in btw
Reply 48
Oh thanks. How long did it take for you to get a reply by email to your q's? I'm too impatient lol.Good luck getting in btw

umm well depends when u email them, if u were to email them now u would get the reply by tommorow latest.
Thanks and good luck to u too
Reply 49
Wooohooo got offered a nuffield bursary placement at cambridge university institute of astronomy!!!!!
Reply 50
what do I include in a personal statement about why I should get this bursary?
Reply 51
Hey guys, Im starting my placement this thursday in a Biochemistry lab! Has anybody got any advice or tips because i have no idea what to expect! Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by lils129
Hey guys, Im starting my placement this thursday in a Biochemistry lab! Has anybody got any advice or tips because i have no idea what to expect! Thanks in advance :smile:

where?
Reply 53
where?

Up in scotland, St. Andrews Uni :smile:
Reply 54
Hi guys, I have my Nuffield placement at Cambridge Uni this summer and was wondering about the Gold Crest Award. We had a nuffield bursary meeting in which they said that we can use the bursary as our project for the gold crest award. Does anybody know how we do this? Or has anyone done it? Thanks :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by ninuzu
Hi guys, I have my Nuffield placement at Cambridge Uni this summer and was wondering about the Gold Crest Award. We had a nuffield bursary meeting in which they said that we can use the bursary as our project for the gold crest award. Does anybody know how we do this? Or has anyone done it? Thanks :smile:

I think we do it online? I'm pretty sure its another application form :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by ninuzu

You'll go to a group presentation at the end of your placement, where you'll have a verbal assessment with a judge, and then you'll fill out a paper application (which is mostly an overview of your project).

Then they send you a certificate.

:smile:
Reply 57
Original post by lils129
I think we do it online? I'm pretty sure its another application form :smile:

Original post by Darwinian
You'll go to a group presentation at the end of your placement, where you'll have a verbal assessment with a judge, and then you'll fill out a paper application (which is mostly an overview of your project).

Then they send you a certificate.

:smile:

Cheers guys :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Darwinian
I did it last year if anyone's got any questions :smile:

I don't know how to work this, I'm kinda new to Student Room

but darwinian, what's the presentation like at the end of it all? Is it intimidating, and also did you apply for a gold crest award?

Reply 59
Original post by Anz
I don't know how to work this, I'm kinda new to Student Room

but darwinian, what's the presentation like at the end of it all? Is it intimidating, and also did you apply for a gold crest award?

The presentation is a little nerve wracking, but no more than giving a presentation to your teachers. If you're okay with talking to people you'll be fine, there weren't any big groups and it's great experience.

Yes, I applied for (and got) a Gold CREST.

If you apply for it, you'll have to talk to an "assessor", and that's more stressful but really no problem. They're all quite friendly, and no one in the room will know more about your project than you do.

To get the award, you'll also have to fill in a form, but it's really simple and quite short. And then they'll send you a certificate!

Quick Reply

Latest