The Student Room Group

Decent unis that will be in clearing

Does anyone reckon there will be any decent unis asking for BBB in clearing this year as I may have missed my grades, I'm looking at top 40 preferably in a largish city? I swear most city unis are the big ABB+ types?

I'd wanna study history, possibly with something else
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Does anyone reckon there will be any decent unis asking for BBB in clearing this year as I may have missed my grades, I'm looking at top 40 preferably in a largish city? I swear most city unis are the big ABB+ types?

No point in guessing, wait and you'll see.
Original post by logiadoevus
No point in guessing, wait and you'll see.

I see where you're coming from but it's hard not to try and prepare.

It's hard to tell. History is popular and therefore 'decent' universities often have higher grades than that because they think they're popular enough. Plus it's very hard to predict what universities will be in Clearing.
Check out the ucas website for courses at decent unis that are still in Extra - its an indication of which courses *may* be in Clearing, but you will still have to wait for results day to know for sure. Its also a good idea to be realistic and look at lower tier universities which may have the ideal course for you. Good luck!
History is quite an oversubscribed course, and so it is less likely to be in clearing. However, trying to predict what will come in clearing is a bit like trying to predict when it will rain - you have a rough idea, but often a presence / absence takes you by surprise.
university of leicester

The better way to do this is to methodically go through UCAS, do some research on each uni/course and come up with a list of the universities you'd consider if they did come up in clearing. Or if it's easier, make a list of the universities you definitely wouldn't want to go for in clearing.

Doing this will ensure you have enough research to fall back on in the panic of results day if you do end up in clearing as then you can go through your list and find the universities/courses which are there. Your list needs to be very open minded without assuming anything about what may come up and include course codes (as this is what is listed in the clearing directories) and a summary of what you like/don't like and then also the grade requirements. You should also work out now which joint honours courses you would be interested in and which you wouldn't want to do as often joint honours end up in clearing more than straight single honours courses. I'm looking at the history list for last years clearing and there's a lot more joint honours options available than there are V100 history courses.

There's no point trying to second guess what will/won't be in clearing as it changes every single year. Even those of us who are fairly seasoned in the results day/clearing world have surprises each year when the lists are released. Only focusing on what some random people on the internet have told you might be in clearing really won't help.
Can you apply for a university through clearing which you've previously declined ?
Original post by DogtownZBoys
Can you apply for a university through clearing which you've previously declined ?

If you still meet the grades (or very close to it), yes.
Original post by TheSownRose
If you still meet the grades (or very close to it), yes.

Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending