The Student Room Group

Black Slaves Are Better Sportsman....

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elipsis
It could be as simple as them selecting slaves based on how subserviant they are to those who are 'in charge'. There are distinct differences between how working class people and middle class people talk and interact to their children throughout their childhoods that have marked effects on their intelligence when they grow up.

Yet isn't there likely to be some sort of correlation between how subserviant a slave is and their intelligence. For example, the smarter ones were more likely to hatch escape plans whilst the less intelligent ones didn't. Of course, the penalty for attempting to escape was usually death. Therefore, the smart ones were still being killed and the less intelligent ones were surviving, breeding and parenting their children so that they could be of a lesser intelligence. The chances of a higly intelligent child coming from illiterate and innumerate parents are very slim.
Reply 21
good singers too
Reply 22
I've always thought this was the case - I mean, it was treacherous to survive the adverse conditions slaves faced. Only the strong survived to pass on their genes, therefore their offspring would be stronger and fitter than they would have been otherwise. It was like evolution in overdrive really - it's safe to say that the descendants of slaves are advanced in terms of the evolution by a considerable number of generations. This is often reflected in their physical stature and sporting results.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
A lot of people seem to be under the impression that slave owners wanted slaves who could run fast... God knows why...
Original post by Barden
A lot of people seem to be under the impression that slave owners wanted slaves who could run fast... God knows why...

Was more to do with power than actual speed

Original post by Sharpshooter
Everyone knows that people of African descent are physically stronger than white people?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Strongest_Man#Official_results_.E2.80.93_top_three_places

Care to take a look over those flags? >_>

People with African ancestry may have an advantage when it comes to things like running, but when it comes to pure strength it would appear that Northern Europeans/Slavic people dominate.
Original post by concubine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Strongest_Man#Official_results_.E2.80.93_top_three_places

Care to take a look over those flags? >_>

People with African ancestry may have an advantage when it comes to things like running, but when it comes to pure strength it would appear that Northern Europeans/Slavic people dominate.

They were bred for manual work on plantations not a competition

Reply 27
Excellent story and I think he's right tbh. Everyone knows that people of African descent are physically stronger than white people and therefore more likely to succeed at sport, so why can't he say it? Go Michael Johnson, stick to the dailymail and the racists. :cool:

What do you think? Do you agree with what he is saying?

People with former black slave heritage don't account for all people of African descent.

African Americans and Black Caribbeans are 'faster/better athletes' because they were the result of survival of the fittest/engineered natural selection.

It would be the same with all ethnicities if White people or Asian people, etc were taken in masses and enslaved in nasty conditions over a period of time so that only the strongest survived.
Survival of the fastest: Why descendants of slaves will take the medals in the London 2012 sprint finalsOlympic champion Michael Johnson says black American and Caribbean sprinters have a 'superior athletic gene'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2167064/London-2012-Olympics-Michael-Johnson-descendants-slaves-medals-sprint-finals.html

Excellent story and I think he's right tbh. Everyone knows that people of African descent are physically stronger than white people and therefore more likely to succeed at sport, so why can't he say it? Go Michael Johnson, stick to the dailymail and the racists. :cool:

you do know thats down to eugenics, the slave masters used to keep the 50 strongest slaves and kill the rest every generation! as well as the labour they had to endure as slaves, so its not a good thing!
Original post by perfectsymbology
There's different types of power depending on muscle type. Fast twitch fibres give more accelerative power but tire quickly. Slow twitch are not as fast but don't tire as easily. Blacks have more of the former, whites have more of the latter. Which is more important in a 17th century colonial slave? I'm damned if I know.

the ex slaves would have more faster twitch, not all of the africans
Reply 30
How many black swimmers are there...?
Reply 31
Original post by That Bearded Man
Right, right, I don't accept your raising of equestrian, you needed to buy a horse for that and jump over fences, you can't claim you're talented at it because of your slave ancestors.

Unlike swimming :smile:

I admit defeat :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by canŵio
How many black swimmers are there...?

Cullen Jones. Apart from that it seems to be that not many black Americans swim. Lots of theories for the reason why, but none are fully convincing.
Reply 33
What about East Africans who has very high stamina?
Reply 34
Survival of the fastest: Why descendants of slaves will take the medals in the London 2012 sprint finalsOlympic champion Michael Johnson says black American and Caribbean sprinters have a 'superior athletic gene'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2167064/London-2012-Olympics-Michael-Johnson-descendants-slaves-medals-sprint-finals.html

I don't know, it seems likely that they would then be more likely to win other events than the 100 metres and 200 metres, personally I respect Michael Johnson but I think this theory is absolute and total bull, that's my call on this thing.
Original post by ForKicks
Cullen Jones. Apart from that it seems to be that not many black Americans swim. Lots of theories for the reason why, but none are fully convincing.

I certainly am not the spokesman for all black people but personally I don't like swimming because the pool is usually cold (pathetic, I know). However, for some strange reason, I quite enjoy the backstroke (probably due to less contact with the water) and I was one if the best in my class for that particular stroke.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sazzabazza
I certainly am not the spokesman for all black people but personally I don't like swimming because the pool is usually cold (pathetic, I know). However, for some strange reason, I quite enjoy the backstroke (probably due to less contact with the water) and I was one if the best in my class for that particular stroke.

I agree, I'm great at back stroke and then maybe front crawl
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Original post by Georgiina_Tee
This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e

Why did you quote me and say nothing?
Original post by sazzabazza
Why did you quote me and say nothing?

It was my phone or the app that just didnt send it, ive forgotten what i was going to say anyway
Reply 39
I watched that program and it was actually very interesting and to be honest I can actually see where the people where coming from.

As stated on the program the weaker people on the ships would have died from the horrific conditions whereas the strongest would have survived. Also the slave owners had "breeding programs" so bred people, like people do with cattle today for specific traits.
They also said on the program something about people put the most rebelious slaves in jamaica and these would usually have been fast and strong. They also said something about it would mean that people from different parts of Africa would reproduce with each other whereas they wouldn't before which means that their offspring could have had the best characteristics from different regions, such as speed, strength etc.

I think though if you haven't already you should watch it as it was very interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending