The Student Room Group

Tie or Bow-Tie?

This poll is closed

Year 13 Prom - Tie or Bow Tie?

Tie 33%
Bow-Tie67%
Total votes: 36
Hey Guys;

Well, I have my year 13 prom coming up on Thursday and was wondering what people prefer (I think I know what the results will be). My parents are saying to where a bow tie but I would like to get people's views on them both.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Well, I have my year 13 prom coming up on Thursday and was wondering what people prefer (I think I know what the results will be). My parents are saying to where a bow tie but I would like to get people's views on them both.

Depends on the style of the suit and the accompanying items
Hey Guys;

Hey,

What kinda suit will you be wearing? A tux? And also what colour is the suit and what colour bow ties and ties do you have?

Lol, some pics of similar items on the internet would be helpful :smile:
Ignore this post.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can't go wrong with a thin black tie :smile:

Well I'd say that if you're wearing a white shirt, then the tie or bow tie would have to be black. Bow-tie is a pleasant look for a prom, but tie also looks good. Are you going to wear a slim tie or a normal tie?
Original post by Lovefoxxx_93

Black tie?!
Isn't that associated with funerals? :confused:
Original post by Lovefoxxx_93

:five:
Original post by TheGirlNextDoor
Well I'd say that if you're wearing a white shirt, then the tie or bow tie would have to be black. Bow-tie is a pleasant look for a prom, but tie also looks good. Are you going to wear a slim tie or a normal tie?

Probably go for normal because thin ties don't really sit well on me. =l
Reply 9
If you are getting a navy business suit like posted above then get a tie. If you are getting a dinner jacket then get a bow tie. Either way do not get a skinny black tie, especially if you are getting a navy suit.

Make sure the suit fits correctly and wherever it doesn't fit get a tailor to alter it.
Reply 10

Thin ties don't suit anyone tbh, really don't understand the love for them.
(edited 11 years ago)

Okay, well I'd say go for the bow-tie if it's a prom-looking suit (i.e tux, dinner etc) but if you're wearing a regular smart suit, then a tie.

What colour shirt?
Yes, I'd say get a regular tie, not a skinny/thin one.

Are you wearing a white shirt?
White Shirt
Probably dinner suit (pends what they have in store)
Suit Colour - Prefer navy blue
Black tie?!
Isn't that associated with funerals? :confused:

7362C.jpg

No, it's very handsome!

And looks a lot more sophisticated than the pastel or neon coloured ties some guys wore to my prom. Especially if they matched their tie with their girlfriend's hideously coloured dress.
Reply 15
Simple answer;

If you're wearing a dinner jacket you wear a bow tie.

If you're wearing a normal suit jacket, not that you would at an evening/black tie event, you wear a normal tie.
White Shirt

Dinner suit - then bow tie.
Suit - then tie. I personally think slim ties look better but regular ties are nice too.
Reply 17
White Shirt

You do realise the thing you posted above isn't a dinner suit don't you?
Reply 18
Original post by Renal
Simple answer;

If you're wearing a dinner jacket you wear a bow tie.

If you're wearing a normal suit jacket, not that you would at an evening/black tie event, you wear a normal tie.

This. You should be wearing a dinner jacket if the dress code is "Black Tie" (Your bow tie doesn't actually have to be black). If the dress code isn't black tie, don't wear a bow tie or a dinner jacket.

A dinner Jacket is a black suit jacket with silk (shiny looking) lapels
Personal preference but if you're deciding to go with a bow tie, go for a wing collared shirt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending