The Student Room Group

Average UKCAT score, apply with it or consider GAMSAT??

I just did the UKCAT and got a pretty average score of 622.5. I am unsure about whether to use this and apply (not to anywhere with a UKCAT cutt-off of course, but unis which just take the score into consideration) or should i consider the GAMSAT exam.

I am currently on a placement year in my biomedical science degree at a hospital; I am confident I can get a first in this degree, and hopefully write a good personal statement.

I am going to apply to graduate entry medicine; may consider applying to one undergrad course just incase i get rejections for all the grad entries.

All opinions welcomed :smile:
i think that score is a bit above average. And it's not like it's the only thing they consider, are the rest of your grades good?
Original post by jack1989
I just did the UKCAT and got a pretty average score of 622.5. I am unsure about whether to use this and apply (not to anywhere with a UKCAT cutt-off of course, but unis which just take the score into consideration) or should i consider the GAMSAT exam.

I am currently on a placement year in my biomedical science degree at a hospital; I am confident I can get a first in this degree, and hopefully write a good personal statement.

I am going to apply to graduate entry medicine; may consider applying to one undergrad course just incase i get rejections for all the grad entries.

All opinions welcomed :smile:

You could technically apply to Southampton & Oxford with those scores, but obviously they have their own preferences to what they like in a candidate. Without very solid A-levels and a First degree I couldn't see Oxford accepting someone with that UKCAT.

I'm in a similar position due to a technical error when I sat the test yesterday which occurred during the AR section, meaning I got 630, 670, 570 & 590 (2460/615 avg). Sincerely hate Pearson Vue right now!
Reply 3
Original post by theandyguthrie
i think that score is a bit above average. And it's not like it's the only thing they consider, are the rest of your grades good?

Nah My A-levels arent very good, C's & D's in maths, biology and PE. Going to apply to unis which dnt take a-levels into consideration
Reply 4
Original post by MattKneale
You could technically apply to Southampton & Oxford with those scores, but obviously they have their own preferences to what they like in a candidate. Without very solid A-levels and a First degree I couldn't see Oxford accepting someone with that UKCAT.

I'm in a similar position due to a technical error when I sat the test yesterday which occurred during the AR section, meaning I got 630, 670, 570 & 590 (2460/615 avg). Sincerely hate Pearson Vue right now!

I was thinking warwick, Barts and Newcastle; if i applied with my UKCAT ofc. the warwick and barts cut-off is 2400 i think
Reply 5
I was thinking warwick, Barts and Newcastle; if i applied with my UKCAT ofc. the warwick and barts cut-off is 2400 i think

Pretty sure the 2400 cut-off applies to school leavers. The GEP cut off for Warwick is much higher.

Warwick last year required an average of around 675 and Bart's was over 700.

And if we're talking Newcastle GEP then the cut-off was pretty high on that for the last few years as well i believe. Certainly above OPs score. 5 year was higher as well i believe.

Basically, with that UKCAT all 3 of those choices are very very risky. I'd advise applying to less UKCAT dependent unis and/or GAMSAT unis.
Reply 8

2400 for Warwick? Try 2700 :p:

Original post by myyrh
Pretty sure the 2400 cut-off applies to school leavers. The GEP cut off for Warwick is much higher.

Indeed it does, if you're a graduate applying to A100 at BL, your UKCAT score will be ranked alongside all the other graduates and the top x% are selected for interview. That said, as it's A100 and not the GEP, the cut off will probably be fairly low. Around 650ish should be good enough I'd say.

:nah:

BL GEP cut-off was around 685 last year.

What happened?
Original post by Hippokrates
What happened?

Got through VR and QR absolutely fine, then at the end of AR I had gone through every question with about 20-30 seconds to spare, to find loads of questions apparently were incomplete. I know for a fact I wouldn't leave questions unanswered without a guess or at least flagging them. So this threw my score down yo 570 on that section.and I was thrown off so on DA I only got 590. Basically ruined my UKCAT! Made an appeal so have to call them this week.
Reply 11
Hi guys,

If anyone is going to do the GAMSAT I have the pdf's of the 3 acer gamsat papers for sale for £30.

If anyone is interested just message me.

Quick Reply

Latest