The Student Room Group

Spending student loan on a nose job?

i'm 18 and hate my apperance, i'm so shy and it's getting me down because of this i've never had a boyfriend. but anyways i still belive that eveyone will find their perfect match :smile: and if i got a nose job i know i'd be more confident and maybe have a better chance. to the point how much money would you have left from a student loan (if you got the highest) one to spend the rest on a nose job? obviously after accomodation, food etc
am i being crazy or could i do this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
i'm 18 and hate my apperance, i'm so shy and it's getting me down because of this i've never had a boyfriend. but anyways i still belive that eveyone will find their perfect match :smile: and if i got a nose job i know i'd be more confident and maybe have a better chance. to the point how much money would you have left from a student loan (if you got the highest) one to spend the rest on a nose job? obviously after accomodation, food etc

You get student loan based on your household income so you cannot decide yourself how much you can get. If you were serious you would just have to save over uni and see how much you have left at the end. It is possible, it would take time but I'm sure you don't need one!
Reply 2

I wouldn't get nose job, they often go wrong and it would be a completewaste of money if that were the case
Reply 3
Don't get one. Honestly even celebrities who can afford the best plastic surgeon end up looking terrible. If you get your nose done, you'll only start obsessing about some other insecurity of yours and it will end up a vicious cycle.

Also, I think you're over-estimating how much you get for a student loan. Why do you think students are so broke all the time just trying to cover day to day expenses? There's no way you can use a student loan to get plastic surgery whilst being able to afford accommodation, food, etc.
Reply 4

Aside from being a massive waste of a large amount of money which is meant for you to live and study off, it'll look really obvious and fake. Insecurity over something very trivial is far more of a turn-off than a big nose (which isn't really a big deal at all imho).

I'm willing to bet part of the reason why you haven't ever been in a relationship isn't because guys aren't attracted to you because of your nose, but rather because you've let this little thing make you insecure and its stopped you being yourself and seriously reduced your self-confidence. Just let it go, it's really not an issue at all.
Reply 5
I doubt your student loan would cover this, what do you plan to live off while you're at uni? Why not go to uni, see how you get on and then decide later (although I think a nose job is crazy personally!) Also, the boyfriend thing, I didn't meet any unti I went to uni at 19, it's definitely a confidence issue, you meet so many different people at uni and you become more mature and confident far quicker than you'd expect. In fact, you'll probably look back at this and realise that there was no need to even consider the op!!
Not too long ago, I was watching a programme and this woman had breathing problems as a consequence of a nose job. It turns out, that when the nose job was performed, the plastic surgeon infringed upon the area that allows you to take a deeper intake of air. Anyway, the person now has to live with the problem for the rest of their life. Do you want to take such a risk? Not to mention the obligatory death (1 in however many thousand) that occurs with any procedure.

I wish that I could remember what the section was called - someone help me out, please.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
Aside from being a massive waste of a large amount of money which is meant for you to live and study off, it'll look really obvious and fake. Insecurity over something very trivial is far more of a turn-off than a big nose (which isn't really a big deal at all imho).

I'm willing to bet part of the reason why you haven't ever been in a relationship isn't because guys aren't attracted to you because of your nose, but rather because you've let this little thing make you insecure and its stopped you being yourself and seriously reduced your self-confidence. Just let it go, it's really not an issue at all.

This.

And, in fact, people find different things attractive. Pelicans, for instance, like each others' big scoopy mouths.

If you're really insecure about your nose and aren't comforted by the "just ignore it and be confident" remarks, I recommend boosting up your appeal in other areas. Eating healthily, exercising, toning your abs, running off some flab, and so forth, might do wonders for your self esteem - it'll be free, it'll be healthy, you'll feel refreshed, and it might help you forget about your nose.

I dunno if that's constructive, helpful or useful advice, but for what it's worth I hardly look at people's noses, nor does it decide whether I want to be with that person. Most men aren't shallow.
Reply 8
Original post by Democracy

Not a future cosmetic surgeon then? :tongue:
And this is the reason I would prefer student loans to be provided by private organisations.

Please don't spend taxpayers' money on a rhinoplasty.
Reply 10
LOL dont waste money on stuff like that. be happy with who you are. getting a nose job wont make you perfect

Firstly, confidence and how you feel comes from within and not from how you look.

I can assure, speaking from personal experience your soulmate will love you know matter what, having a nose job will not change a thing, however for me personally, the way in which one conducts themselves is equally if not more so important than appearance...
Aw OP, I have a huge nose too so join the club! I also have really small boobs, and when I was younger (17-19ish) I absolutely hated both aspects of myself and thought I'd get plastic surgery in a heartbeat. Now I'm a few years older I'm SO glad I didn't - not only can it go wrong so easily, but those features are a part of me, and I've learnt that they're not actually as big a deal as I thought they were. Actually, they're just not a big deal, full stop. Maybe try working on your confidence in your appearance in less intrusive ways? Eat well, exercise, spend a little bit on some really nice clothes/the hairdressers... that sort of thing? I mean, think of all the better things you could be spending that kind of money on!

But yeah, I don't know how much loan/grants you get, but I got the full amounts and I could technically have saved up enough by the end of my degree.
Why not wait til after Uni and then get a normal bank loan instead of blowing your student loan (:ahee:) and being left even more skint than you normally would be?

Original post by LeaX
Don't get one. Honestly even celebrities who can afford the best plastic surgeon end up looking terrible. If you get your nose done, you'll only start obsessing about some other insecurity of yours and it will end up a vicious cycle.

Also, I think you're over-estimating how much you get for a student loan. Why do you think students are so broke all the time just trying to cover day to day expenses? There's no way you can use a student loan to get plastic surgery whilst being able to afford accommodation, food, etc.

Why do people assume this is always the case :s-smilie:
Reply 14
To be fair, people who end up in that "vicious circle" are usually driven to surgery by mental and psychological issues like BDD in the first place. This is why they always find another problem - cause the issue is still present.

People who have a valid reason to want surgery and have realistic, reasonable goals often have really positive life changing results. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
Depends on what your nose look like. I acknowledge that these things may make a big difference (I used to think nose jobs were unnecessary, but a lot of attractive people used to look different and you don't realize until you see the old photos).

Although I think plastic surgery has its place, I think it's only something to consider if you reall can afford it. Firstly because it is an utter luxury - I would never consider it if would affect my standard of living or make everyday life 'tight' in terms of money. Secondly because permanent facial surgery MUST be done by a top notch surgeon. You may have to stay home for a long time after the surgery, you will often need follow up care, an extra night in the hospital or even additional surgeries if something goes wrong. And you need to be able to afford that. The cost of these procedures are always more than the cost of the surgery alone.

blake3.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not gonna bother trying to persuade you not to get a nose job since loads of people already have, but you shouldn't get one.
Asides from that, there's no way you'll be able to afford plastic surgery with what's left of your student loan unless you plan to never go out and starve all year (don't do that!)
Reply 17
hell its your money waste it as you see fit youll almost certainly live to regret it though. That moneys there to support you through uni [which isnt cheap] the chances of you having enough after all expenses to afford this is slim to nill and even if you did why?
Reply 18
I would be amazed if you had enough money left from your student loan to pay for a nose job, given mine doesn't even cover my accommodation and food!
Reply 19
Original post by hiding12
I wouldn't get nose job, they often go wrong and it would be a completewaste of money if that were the case

I wouldn't say that they "often" go wrong, they often go right, you just hear about the ones that go wrong!

But yeah, I wouldn't spend your student loan on a nose job, i'd be surprised if you could even manage that, I barely manage to get by at university with my full loan.

I'm not saying don't get one, whatever makes you happy and all, if it helps your confidence and it's the only way you feel you can be confident then I guess it could be a good thing, although i'd do it with your own money!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest