The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,

I've noticed from my recent payslips (which I haven't been checking for the last 5/6 months :colondollar: ) that there are NO tax deductions from my pay. However, National Insurance contributions are being payed.

I've checked the HMRC website (and also here) and it states that I'm entitled to a 'personal allowance' of £8,105 before paying any tax for the 2012/13 tax period.

My contract hours are 16 hours a week, making my earning before tax below that threshold.

Am I eligible to not pay tax, as is happening right now, or do I need to speak to my HR manager and request them to start deducting from my pay?

I don't want to spend my money over the year thinking that I don't have to pay tax and then find out later on that I have to cough up for the duration not paid.

I'm particularly suspicious because I have been paying taxes throughout the last 4 years at my time at Sainsbury's whilst working part time and my contract hours have remained the same. I would be more than delighted to find out that I am due a refund :biggrin: ( I've paid out a lot in taxes over the years :smile: )

Any advice would be appreciated. Are you paying tax, and how many hours do you work a week?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2041
Got sent to petrol for an hour today, but as I'm not petrol trained all I had to do was sit on a chair for an hour. I love an easy shift :P
Reply 2042
Original post by Hustler-1337
Hi guys,

I've noticed from my recent payslips (which I haven't been checking for the last 5/6 months :colondollar: ) that there are NO tax deductions from my pay. However, National Insurance contributions are being payed.

I've checked the HMRC website (and also here) and it states that I'm entitled to a 'personal allowance' of £8,105 before paying any tax for the 2012/13 tax period.

My contract hours are 16 hours a week, making my earning before tax below that threshold.

Am I eligible to not pay tax, as is happening right now, or do I need to speak to my HR manager and request them to start deducting from my pay?

I don't want to spend my money over the year thinking that I don't have to pay tax and then find out later on that I have to cough up for the duration not paid.

I'm particularly suspicious because I have been paying taxes throughout the last 4 years at my time at Sainsbury's whilst working part time and my contract hours have remained the same. I would be more than delighted to find out that I am due a refund :biggrin: ( I've paid out a lot in taxes over the years :smile: )

Any advice would be appreciated. Are you paying tax, and how many hours do you work a week?

The tax free entitlement has gradually increased over the years, but for the current financial year of 2012/2013 - if you worked 16 hours per week @ £6.85 per hour, you'd earn around £5,700 which is well below the threshold.

I'm presuming here that Sainsbury's was your first job? Either way, you shouldn't be paying tax or a substantial amount of NI. If you're paying tax, then you need to apply for a tax return as you could be entitled to many hundreds of pounds!
Reply 2043
Does anyone here work nights? Got my interview for night shift tomorrow evening, just wondering what working nights is actually like and do you enjoy it? Just gotta get used to a different sleeping plan/messed up body clock i guess!
Reply 2044
Does anyone know the amount required to earn each month before you pay tax + NI?

Have a horrible feeling I'm going to go over and would rather not have the government sitting on my money until april.

Also did the pay this month start from the 8th July?

Thanks + rep for answer
Reply 2045
2 hours left before my interview! :s-smilie:
Hello I am 16 years of age and am on my extended Summer holidays as I have finished my GCSE exams. I was wondering how to apply online for a job at my local Sainsburys. I went to the local store and the manager said it would be great for me to apply, just apply online. But I am unsure how to go about doing so.

If it helps my local store is York Road in Uxbridge.

Thank You!
Original post by onda

Good Luck! Do you mind looking at my post?
Reply 2048
Original post by GreenLantern1
Hello I am 16 years of age and am on my extended Summer holidays as I have finished my GCSE exams. I was wondering how to apply online for a job at my local Sainsburys. I went to the local store and the manager said it would be great for me to apply, just apply online. But I am unsure how to go about doing so.

If it helps my local store is York Road in Uxbridge.

Thank You!

All you need to do is Google "Sainsbury's Jobs", go to Search Careers and then search by postcode. It isn't difficult
Original post by Zubby77
All you need to do is Google "Sainsbury's Jobs", go to Search Careers and then search by postcode. It isn't difficult

Well I get to here. But when I search via my post code I get places that are quite far away from me. And I know there is one close o me but it dosn't appear - does this simply mean they have no vacancies whatsoever?
Reply 2050
Original post by onda

Good luck! :smile: Hope it goes okay, mines tomorrow night :O
Reply 2051
Original post by Ryan17.
Does anyone know the amount required to earn each month before you pay tax + NI?

Have a horrible feeling I'm going to go over and would rather not have the government sitting on my money until april.

Also did the pay this month start from the 8th July?

Thanks + rep for answer

The weekly tax free allowance is £155.87 for 2012/2013 so for pay every 4 weeks, you can earn £623.46 before you get taxed. You start paying NIC when you earn £146 a week, so £584 4 weekly. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2052
Original post by coopsyy
Good luck! :smile: Hope it goes okay, mines tomorrow night :O

I don't know why i was worried so much! everything was so easy and simple! :biggrin:
OMG i cant believe how simple the maths questions are even the hard ones :rofl:

Last question on attention detail I probably messed up the description on one error :rofl: i wrote 'underage girl picking alcohol' :rofl:

but the rest of the paper was piss easy:rofl: I managed tp finish it all of in 30min:biggrin:

Even the interview wasn't too bad, I was so happy the interviewer and me had things in common for example the fact we both speak dutch! :biggrin:

if you got an interview you've got nothing to worry about ! just stay cool and think of the interviewer as your friend:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2053
Original post by GreenLantern1
Well I get to here. But when I search via my post code I get places that are quite far away from me. And I know there is one close o me but it dosn't appear - does this simply mean they have no vacancies whatsoever?

Yeah, if there's no vacancies on the site then I guess that store either has no vacancies at all, or they just haven't posted it. Maybe go and talk to the person again and see what they say.
Original post by Zubby77
Yeah, if there's no vacancies on the site then I guess that store either has no vacancies at all, or they just haven't posted it. Maybe go and talk to the person again and see what they say.

Cheers!
Original post by bubelah
The tax free entitlement has gradually increased over the years, but for the current financial year of 2012/2013 - if you worked 16 hours per week @ £6.85 per hour, you'd earn around £5,700 which is well below the threshold.

I'm presuming here that Sainsbury's was your first job? Either way, you shouldn't be paying tax or a substantial amount of NI. If you're paying tax, then you need to apply for a tax return as you could be entitled to many hundreds of pounds!

Thanks for your reply. Yes, this is my first job. I started when I was 17 and did not get taxed. After I reached 18 I have been paying tax ever since. I'm 21 now

Do you get taxed for the whole amount of your earnings above the personal allowance threshold, or is it only the amount above the personal allowance that you get taxed for? I really hope its the latter as I have been doing a considerable amount of overtime over the years, particularly over the summer holidays and christmas every year.

I would advise everyone to make sure you are not getting taxed if you earned less than:

£8,105 for the 2012/13 tax year
£7,474 for the 2011/12 tax year
£6,475 for the 2010/11 tax year
£6,475 for the 2009/10 tax year
£6,035 for the 2008/9 tax year

If you have paid tax, you may be due for a refund (if I have understood correctly).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2056
Hi guys

I haven't posted here in like, over a year :P Basically I used to work at Sainsbury's - I was there for a total of almost 3 years and left to start a full time job at a nursery.

My little brother (Who is 16 and has just left school) has managed to get an interview for the same store I started at for Friday, and is panicking about the interview! I can't even remember what it really entailed, other than the DVD and a chat with the interviewer. I do remember though that I spent ages on here getting tips and advice and people who had recently had interviews giving me pointers on the DVD etc! Was wondering if anyone here has had an interview recently and could pass some advice? Other than the generic interview advice I'm not really sure what to tell my brother and not even sure what kind of interview it is anymore!! Anyone that could help, it would be really appreciated :smile:

Thankyou!!
Reply 2057
Original post by Hustler-1337
Do you get taxed for the whole amount of your earnings above the personal allowance threshold, or is it only the amount above the personal allowance that you get taxed for?

The tax free allowance is exactly that - tax free, no tax paid.

After this, everything you earn is subject to tax. Say you are entitled to £8,105 tax free money and have earned £10,000 - you'd only pay tax on the £1,895 of non-tax free money you've earned.
Original post by bubelah
The tax free allowance is exactly that - tax free, no tax paid.

After this, everything you earn is subject to tax. Say you are entitled to £8,105 tax free money and have earned £10,000 - you'd only pay tax on the £1,895 of non-tax free money you've earned.

Thanks bublah, I'm going to double check through everything with HR and contact HMRC demanding a fat cheque (I hope its fat) refunding the tax I've overpaid after working my arse off for the last few years. :biggrin:
Reply 2059
Original post by coopsyy
The weekly tax free allowance is £155.87 for 2012/2013 so for pay every 4 weeks, you can earn £623.46 before you get taxed. You start paying NIC when you earn £146 a week, so £584 4 weekly. Hope this helps :smile:

Hold on.....so at the moment ive currently earned £800 this tax year which is obviously well below the the allowance

and this months pay cheque is going to be about £880,

so am i still going to get taxed on this months paycheque even though i HAVENT gone over the £5000 limit for the year ??????

if so that sucks.

Latest