The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shmuxel
I've never made a vocab book before, so I wouldn't know!

I have seen this Clairefontaine vocab book though, might be useful?

http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/clairefontaine-vocab-book/p624

Or just a plain A5 execrise book

http://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/clairefontaine-a5-stapled-exercise-book/p351

I use just a plain A5 exercise book. If I know we'll study 4 set topics, I'll spilt the 80 pages into 5 sections. then as i use each page, fold it in half.
the german is on the left, english on the right. As opposed to splitting it A-Z. Did do that for GCSE Latin. By the end of the year I was very good at anything A-M. Beyond that... not so great.
Reply 621
Original post by .snowflake.
I use just a plain A5 exercise book. If I know we'll study 4 set topics, I'll spilt the 80 pages into 5 sections. then as i use each page, fold it in half.
the german is on the left, english on the right. As opposed to splitting it A-Z. Did do that for GCSE Latin. By the end of the year I was very good at anything A-M. Beyond that... not so great.

I use an A6 Pukka for my vocab book. Line down the middle, French on the left, English on the right. Words that are masculine in blue, feminine in red, and verbs highlighted in yellow. Probably going to change to an A5 Pukka for university though!
Reply 622
Original post by shmuxel
Ah, I'm planning on buying the 18 month diary, with a lined page each week, to use in Sixth form! What do you think of it? Does Fountain pen ink seep through?

It depends. My parker vector seeps through. My finer fountain pens (Lamy EF tip, Lamy M tip, normal WHSmith, Berol cartridge pen) don't seep through or even show through that much.
Reply 623
Original post by shmuxel
I'd second the Lamy logo, it's a brilliant pen for £15, seems much more expensive than it actually is. I love the Parker Facet too, but mine broke within 2 weeks...

I'm in the market for a new journal to use as a vocabulary book, and I'm looking at Rhodia. Leuchtturm seems good, but reviews are mixed, versus the overwhelmingly positive of Rhodia. Besides, when I tried samples of the paper (sent by the amazing Bureau Direct), the Leuchtturm has very slight feathering versus none on the Rhodia.

I can't believe I never knew about that site, thank you! And how did you manage to get samples sent to you?
why had I never heard of this thread before. love it
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I've been thinking about what to do about my planner for the next academic year, and I have a lovely (lined but otherwise blank) notebook I'd like to use. It has 240 pages, so not enough for day-per-page, but too many for a week per two pages ... I could do two days per page, but the asymmetricality (in terms of weeks) would probably bother me :colondollar:

I'd like to leave some room for front/end matter. Anyone done a similar thing before, or have any ideas about how I should lay this out? :smile:

Why not do two days per page and then when you get to the end of the week have a page split between Sunday and notes?
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
I rather stupidly didn't think of this. Not sure I'd have enough notes to make every week to make it worth it, but then neither do I have things going on every day :tongue: Thanks!

You're welcome. :smile: If not notes then maybe you could put upcoming deadlines in that section instead...
Reply 627
Any advice on where to buy cheap stationery and organizational items before coming to Uni?

I like to be rather organised and have everything in folders and neatly packed away, but I am not able to spend a bunch of money on it? No online shops please, as I am an international student and will only come over in September and intend on not bringing any over in the plane.

Thanks in advance :h:
Reply 628
Original post by alaska.
Any advice on where to buy cheap stationery and organizational items before coming to Uni?

I like to be rather organised and have everything in folders and neatly packed away, but I am not able to spend a bunch of money on it? No online shops please, as I am an international student and will only come over in September and intend on not bringing any over in the plane.

Rymans are cheaper than WHSmith. And Staples sometime have good deals on things as well.
Original post by alaska.

as above, staples often have really good offers. I've you're going to buy quite a bit at the same time, rymans give student discount which can save you quite a bit as well :smile:
Reply 630
Original post by SHABANA
Rymans are cheaper than WHSmith. And Staples sometime have good deals on things as well.

Original post by TaraBelle
as above, staples often have really good offers. I've you're going to buy quite a bit at the same time, rymans give student discount which can save you quite a bit as well :smile:

Thank you for your answers, I will give it a try when I get there! :smile:
Reply 631
Original post by shmuxel
Oh and can people be on Oxford Paper Sale watch! As soon as you see an Oxford pad on sale ANYWHERE, Let us know!!!

Oxford refill pad sale in tesco for £1.48 till september :biggrin:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264412346
Original post by Acqua
Oxford refill pad sale in tesco for £1.48 till september :biggrin:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264412346

:woo: Thanks!
Reply 633
Has anyone ever used the sharpie highlighters? Is it worth buying a pack of them, or should I just stick to stabilo?
I have to have Pilot 'Frixion' pens so that I can rub out my mistakes :smile:
Got a notebook from this website today, it's sooo pretty :biggrin:
I have 2 A4 hardback notebooks with section dividers, an A5 notebook also with section dividers and a nice big binder ready for university. Also, because I've never been without a pencil case, even though I will only be needing a pen and maybe a highlighter for notes in my lectures etc... I bought a new (small) pencil case from Paperchase today.

Also, while I was in there, I found this, amongst all the other things I secretly wanted: http://www.paperchase.co.uk/invt/00496147/
I may give in, but I think my mum may buy it for me. I don't really care, it's for food and organising. I require it.

On top of this, my grandma gave me a load of desk organiser stuff. I think my family found it slightly shameful how happy I was about it and noticed it matched my little bin.
Reply 637
Anyone know where I can get some decent A4 notebooks? I prefer blank paper, but lined is okay also. Looking to buy 10+ so I can get some discount :smile:
Reply 638
Original post by sliceofcake
I have 2 A4 hardback notebooks with section dividers, an A5 notebook also with section dividers and a nice big binder ready for university. Also, because I've never been without a pencil case, even though I will only be needing a pen and maybe a highlighter for notes in my lectures etc... I bought a new (small) pencil case from Paperchase today.

Also, while I was in there, I found this, amongst all the other things I secretly wanted: http://www.paperchase.co.uk/invt/00496147/
I may give in, but I think my mum may buy it for me. I don't really care, it's for food and organising. I require it.

On top of this, my grandma gave me a load of desk organiser stuff. I think my family found it slightly shameful how happy I was about it and noticed it matched my little bin.

I have a Paperchase recipe book, so I agree, you do require it! Haha it's amazing, I've been able to copy out all my favourite recipes and old family recipes, organize them by section (there are little dividers with stickers), and there are pockets for like magazine cutouts! It's so good, and definitely a must for university so I won't starve :smile:
I get sooo giddy over stationary, I go on shopping sprees at Rymans and WH Smiths before every school year :P