The Student Room Group

Putting a double bed together alone

So...would you say that it's feasible to put a double bed together alone or with minimal help, such as for supporting pieces that you are nailing together? Would a wooden or a metal bed be easier to do? My rent in September will be considerably cheaper and I want to buy a double bed, which I can afford, and because I'm told that the single bed in the house already is very...rickety and about to collapse.

I'm pretty independent, good with my hands (creating and such) and feel that I would be able to do this if I took my time and was careful. I could borrow a screwdriver and I watched ("helped") my father and his friend put my bedroom furniture together before (wardrobe, bookcase, chest of drawers, bedside table). My parents have a problem with me doing things like this, although I don't know why... Maybe because it's "work for men" and I'm female, because they certainly don't have a problem with me cleaning the house and washing clothes when I'm home from university! Okay, sorry, my problem is that my father says "oh, I'll do it". And "I'll paint your room". In the tone that implies "you couldn't possibly do it right". He will not talk about it without stomping off in a huff, so talking about it is out of the question... I don't particularly want him in my new accommodation, because he is very controlling and it's frustrating when you can do things for yourself. He doesn't even do things in a "I want to help way"; he does things in a "I'm doing this because you're not capable" way. Big guess as to why I was so happy to move out for university.

So...double bed...assembly... Feasible? Anyone done it before? Did you do it alone? Did you have help? ...Did your parents do it for you? I'd honestly rather pay to have it assembled than be around that awkward, controlling man while he "does things for me". If he taught me, that would be something, but apparently I'd never be capable of it >.>

Sorry for being ranty! It's just one of those things with a lot of backstory! Thanks for any help, advice, answers :smile:
Reply 1
Well i dont see why not, especially if it comes with instructions there wouyldnt be much of a problem, not to mention lots of beds can come ready assembled or be assembled for you for say £20 if you were willing to pay the bed shop for this :smile:
Original post by Coulson72
Well i dont see why not, especially if it comes with instructions there wouyldnt be much of a problem, not to mention lots of beds can come ready assembled or be assembled for you for say £20 if you were willing to pay the bed shop for this :smile:

Really? That cheaply?! Argos seemed to be asking for over £100 for bed assembly through their sub company! ("Screwdriver", I think.) Maybe I will go to Dreams and some of the other bed places and see what they've got instead then...

And thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by ChestnutMare92
Really? That cheaply?! Argos seemed to be asking for over £100 for bed assembly through their sub company! ("Screwdriver", I think.) Maybe I will go to Dreams and some of the other bed places and see what they've got instead then...

And thanks!

Really?! thats ridiculous, john lewis only charge £29 as do dreams, and im sure you could shop around fopr better than that :smile:
it's fine on your own, i did 4 in summer alone
Yeah, I'm definitely going round the other places for beds tomorrow after hearing this. Maybe that's where Argos makes its money on beds then, even if it's through their "sub company"! I'd be quite happy to pay someone £30 to put it together and put the mattress on for me (I'm not very strong and a double might be hard, depending on the height of the bed). Awesome :smile:
Reply 6
Easy. I put an Ikea double up myself and it didn't cause any problems. There were some parts where and extra hand would have been useful but using some of the bed pieces, and finally the wall to prop things up certainly helped.

The hardest part of the Ikea bed was the fact that their little hex screw tool is tiny and difficult to get any torque with. They also had some self-tapping screws which you had to drive into thick pine from unadvantageous angles which was a bit of a pain.
I've done it, when I was 16, 5'2" and with no discernible upper body strength.

EDIT: It was an Argos bed. The only thing I needed help with was getting the mattress up the stairs after the useless delivery guys left it in the hall.
(edited 11 years ago)
Some one to put up an double bed just the frame

Latest

Trending

Trending