The Student Room Group

Volunteering at a hospital?

So I am interested in applying for Dentistry this year - I was wondering whether doing volunteer work at a hospital is worth mentioning in a PS? Would it be okay to mention the experiences gained through this, even though it is medical, not dental?
Original post by Angry Citizen
So I am interested in applying for Dentistry this year - I was wondering whether doing volunteer work at a hospital is worth mentioning in a PS? Would it be okay to mention the experiences gained through this, even though it is medical, not dental?

Absolutely, I volunteered in a care home and put that in my personal statement. Definitely mention the experience gained and what you learnt from it, as they are often transferable, e.g. seeing the care being given to someone in pain.

I also volunteer with Brownies and both were mentioned at interview, any experiences are better than no experiences!! In my case I mentioned the different skills required for the contrasting age groups, 7-10 year olds, and 70+. As you are going to need to be able to interact with every age group once you are a dentist :smile:
Reply 2
YES! Universities go wild for volunteering in my experience (I'm convinced my volunteering made a huge difference to getting nursing offers). Make sure you put what you learnt from you time in hospital. Good luck
Reply 3
Volunteering in Hospital is great - some dentists end up choosing the hospital route and have to work at SHO's - so having an idea of how health professionals in a hospital works is very useful.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest