The Student Room Group

Ma Interpreting and translation studies

So ultimately I would like to train as a translator or Interpreter (have yet to decide which).

I'm taking my modern languages degree at the open university in Spanish and English.

My question is, that on the MA courses I have looked at they seem to require 2 foreign languages at degree level. It would be possible for me to learn French or German at degree level with the OU but to be honest neither of those languages interest me and so I doubt I would devote myself properly unless I had to.

Is there another way I can study another language to degree level somehow. Or does anyone know of any PG courses that only require 1 foreign language?

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Ahh thank you. It's a possibility.
Learn a language to A level then go and live in the country it is spoken for a couple of years if possible. That'd sort you right out.
Reply 4
Original post by jonnythemoose
Learn a language to A level then go and live in the country it is spoken for a couple of years if possible. That'd sort you right out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would love to do this but it's not really an option for me as I have a young child. Nice idea though!
Original post by KickingKat88
Thanks for the suggestion. I would love to do this but it's not really an option for me as I have a young child. Nice idea though!

Hmm...is there no way whatsoever you would consider it? I have no children of my own, so I can only imagine how tough the logistics would be; but to attain a linguistic standard high enough to interpret a language would be nigh-on impossible without spending a year at least in the country where the language is spoken.
Reply 6
Hmm...is there no way whatsoever you would consider it? I have no children of my own, so I can only imagine how tough the logistics would be; but to attain a linguistic standard high enough to interpret a language would be nigh-on impossible without spending a year at least in the country where the language is spoken.

Well it's something I could certainly look into at some point in the future but at the moment seems unlikely. I would probably struggle to do so at the moment in that I would have to find work and study whilst looking after a child so it is probably not something that is possible right now. I will keep it in mind though.

Thanks for your input :smile:
Reply 7

I've just noticed you're living in Mexico? Are you from the UK? sorry if I'm a little a nosey but I'm intrigued :smile: Are you there for study purposes?

Kat
I've just noticed you're living in Mexico? Are you from the UK? sorry if I'm a little a nosey but I'm intrigued :smile: Are you there for study purposes?

Kat

Hi Kat; my location is somewhat outdated, but I did indeed used to live in Mexico - I studied Modern Languages at university and that was my year abroad! I'm graduating this summer. I guess I keep it there in my status because I often wish I'd never had to come home! :smile:
Reply 9
Hi Kat; my location is somewhat outdated, but I did indeed used to live in Mexico - I studied Modern Languages at university and that was my year abroad! I'm graduating this summer. I guess I keep it there in my status because I often wish I'd never had to come home! :smile:

Wow I bet that was a great experience. Have you enjoyed your studies? I unfortunately won't have a year abroad as part of my course but I do hope to spend some time in a Spanish speaking area at some point. Are you glad you chose Mexico?

Thanks for sharing

Kat
Wow I bet that was a great experience. Have you enjoyed your studies? I unfortunately won't have a year abroad as part of my course but I do hope to spend some time in a Spanish speaking area at some point. Are you glad you chose Mexico?

Thanks for sharing

Kat

I loved Mexico!! Latin America is so where it's at! I would recommend it a million times over. And yes, I've enjoyed my studies a lot - especially finally year, when everything just seemed to click :smile:
Aston's MA doesn't require a second foreign language but it's only in translation and not interpreting.
Most masters degrees in translation don't require two foreign languages, so there shouldn't be any great difficulty there. At the risk of sounding facetious, the way to study a language to degree level is to do a degree in it. To get good at a language you'll ideally need to go and live your day to day life in it as well.
what are career options with this course exactly?
Original post by Presumptuous
what are career options with this course exactly?

The obvious options are translation and interpretation (no guarantee). I know people who have done a similar course who work in customer service and banking.
Original post by hannah_dru
The obvious options are translation and interpretation (no guarantee). I know people who have done a similar course who work in customer service and banking.

yes that's obvious and logical thing to conclude which is why it wasn't obviously my question...
im a bit annoyed that it's never mentioned variety of things you can do with one course (more with combination with others). seems like everybody mentions the obvious and i don't know why since it's not so much worth mentioning if it's that obvious.

i was mostly referring to the "type of a job". it's probably more desirable to have literature courses if you wanna translate literature.
Reply 16

Yes, I have read how difficult it can be to find work in Translating and Interpreting on a permanent basis. I would hope not to finish my studies and find myself in an unrelated field to be honest, although whatever pays the bills I guess!
Original post by Presumptuous
yes that's obvious and logical thing to conclude which is why it wasn't obviously my question...
im a bit annoyed that it's never mentioned variety of things you can do with one course (more with combination with others). seems like everybody mentions the obvious and i don't know why since it's not so much worth mentioning if it's that obvious.

i was mostly referring to the "type of a job". it's probably more desirable to have literature courses if you wanna translate literature.

I wasn't being sarcastic or anything :confused:

It's difficult to say I think. The problem is that a lot of companies require experience and you may need multiple skills/qualifications with languages to get into certain jobs. That's why I said customer service or banking though as my friends who got into those jobs didn't have prior experience with those sectors as far as I'm aware.

Yes, I have read how difficult it can be to find work in Translating and Interpreting on a permanent basis. I would hope not to finish my studies and find myself in an unrelated field to be honest, although whatever pays the bills I guess!

You could try an internship first. That's what myself and some of my friends did and it seemed to help us.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Most masters degrees in translation don't require two foreign languages, so there shouldn't be any great difficulty there. At the risk of sounding facetious, the way to study a language to degree level is to do a degree in it. To get good at a language you'll ideally need to go and live your day to day life in it as well.

Thanks for your thoughts and yes I agree that 'immersion' is ideal.

Needless to say studying with the OU, I am struggling at times. There is no erasmus year included in the course other than a week abroad during one term which I'm sure will be useful but I'm looking into alternatives.
Reply 19
I wasn't being sarcastic or anything :confused:

It's difficult to say I think. The problem is that a lot of companies require experience and you may need multiple skills/qualifications with languages to get into certain jobs. That's why I said customer service or banking though as my friends who got into those jobs didn't have prior experience with those sectors as far as I'm aware.

You could try an internship first. That's what myself and some of my friends did and it seemed to help us.

Thanks hannah_dru. I will certainly look into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending