The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

When will courses start for 2012 undergraduate applicants for King's?

I've booked a ticket to fly abroad and see family that I haven't seen in 5 years. The cheapest ticket I could find had a returns date on the 10th of September, which was the one I booked. However, I'm not sure if this was a risky decision or not as I'm worried that university will start earlier than that. Can anyone confirm when courses start at King's College London for Mathematics and Physics students? Also, if it does start earlier than the 10th, is there any way I could register at a later date for King's, etc.? What about when I receive my grades?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my SK17i
Reply 1
I remember that different departments used to put up their own calendars of term and important dates...can't seem to find them anymore on the website, but they do seem to have a general one for the whole university. It looks like registration should be starting the week after you get back...not sure what date specifically you'd have to go in.

2012-13
Registration for first-year students
17 September 21 September

24 September to 14 December 2012
7 January to 29 March 2013
29 April to 7 June 2013
(edited 11 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ktr
I remember that different departments used to put up their own calendars of term and important dates...can't seem to find them anymore on the website, but they do seem to have a general one for the whole university. It looks like registration should be starting the week after you get back...not sure what date specifically you'd have to go in.

2012-13
Registration for first-year students
17 September 21 September

24 September to 14 December 2012
7 January to 29 March 2013
29 April to 7 June 2013

Excellent. Thank you SO much for this! :biggrin: I imagine perhaps registration week starts first for all of the first years to come register, and then maybe the starting date of courses are dependant on department? Not sure, but your reply has really put my mind at ease. Thank you. :smile: Xx
Reply 3
If I remember correctly different groups are assigned times to come in to register (based on course and surname?) during that first period indicated. There'll be lots of induction things going on the first week, which your department will send you a schedule for. But pretty sure that none of it should be occurring before registration begins.
Reply 4
Induction will be around the 17th or so.
Reply 5
I have a similar problem, I am going away from 22nd-29th September. Will I miss Freshers? Also, does this mean I will not get my student finance?
Reply 6
Original post by janet827
I have a similar problem, I am going away from 22nd-29th September. Will I miss Freshers? Also, does this mean I will not get my student finance?

Are you entering uni for the first year? or a returning undergrad?
Reply 7
Original post by mel0n
Induction will be around the 17th or so.

Hey! Didn't know you were at KCL! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by dunnicare
Hey! Didn't know you were at KCL! :smile:

:ninja: I am.

:p:
Reply 9

Why won't you get your student finance? You'll probably miss freshers though.
Hi all,

Just to confirm, our enrolment/Freshers' week takes place from 17-21 September and classes start on Monday 24 September.

Also, if you haven't already joined, visit our Facebook Freshers' page, where you can hear lots more about what's coming up during Freshers' week, ask us questions and connect with other applicants who might end up being on the same course as you! http://www.facebook.com/kingscollegelondonfreshers

Fran from King's College London
Reply 11
Im a first year undergrad, looks like I will miss first week of classes :/
Reply 12
Original post by King’s College London
Hi all,

Just to confirm, our enrolment/Freshers' week takes place from 17-21 September and classes start on Monday 24 September.

Also, if you haven't already joined, visit our Facebook Freshers' page, where you can hear lots more about what's coming up during Freshers' week, ask us questions and connect with other applicants who might end up being on the same course as you! http://www.facebook.com/kingscollegelondonfreshers

Fran from King's College London

Just to double check, does "Confirmation" on the MyApplication portal mean that we are accepted? And also, how long will it take for our CAS number and track to update so we can apply for visas (as International students)?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that student finance need to receive confirmation that you have enrolled at King's before they give you any money. Enrollment takes place during freshers' week so if you are not there during that time then funding will be delayed. If you are going away on the 22nd - being at the end of freshers' week - then you should be ok when it comes to enrollment. You will miss the first week of teaching though - not something I would recommend!
Reply 14
Would we be able to move in at our KCL acommodation on the 15th-16th of September (just before registration week starts)?
Original post by may42
Would we be able to move in at our KCL acommodation on the 15th-16th of September (just before registration week starts)?

Yeah that's when you can begin to move in. You can move in earlier but you have to discuss it with the residence office at your hall. The accommodation office says: "Please try to arrive at the Residence between 10am and 5pm on Saturday 15 September 2012". For intercollegiates it is usually the day after, so the 16th.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/accom/accepting/attachments/Accommodation-Info-Sheet-2012-13.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest