The Student Room Group

Is the UK preparing for war or for the Olympic Games?

This poll is closed

Do you really think something bad will happen during the London Olympics?

Yes 26%
No 54%
Don't know21%
Total votes: 125
The military is to provide up to 3,500 extra troops for security duty at the Olympics amid fears that private firm G4S will not be able to supply enough personnel, a Whitehall source has said. The overall 23,700-strong security force for the Games will include a mix of military, private security guards and at least 3,000 unpaid London 2012 volunteers who will be used at the start of the security process.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/3-500-more-troops-olympics-174054597.html

http://digitaljournal.com/article/324303

Seriously, one would think we're preparing for a war or something.

Do you really think something bad will happen during the London Olympics even after all this security?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I believe the government is simply preparing for all terrorist eventualities.

They wouldn't want to be criticised, after an attack, for not providing enough manpower or safeguards. Therefore, it is better to be on the safe side and take a proactive and quasi-preventive view.

You must also remember that the Chinese had tanks on the streets. I don't think we have tanks, so I wouldn't be too outraged.

Having said all that, but whilst not discounting it, you must be aware that this is the Olympics. It will be viewed by hundreds of millions of people. Taking the viewpoint of a terrorist, this would be a prime time 'to strike' and with the constant and recent news we are hearing of 'terror arrests' and 'terror charges', it would seem to be very true (although some do speculate that it is all propaganda).

P.S.

Although I have attempted a reasonable an level-headed answer, I myself personally will stay away from central london as well as I can and will limit my viewing of the Olympics to pub or venue large screens. And no, I don't do such things because of the 'traffic' or 'tourist congestion'. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by od_bo

Do you really think something bad will happen during the London Olympics even after all this security?

well what's the point in your thread if you are agreeing the whole point of the security is to stop any possible threat.

Most of the security won't be their for terrorists they will just be general security there will be lots of alcohol consumed, there will need to be stewards and police inside the stadiums like at all sporting events.

But some people just love a good moan and complain don't they the security is there for good reason did you not hear about that Islamic terrorist cell they uncovered a few days ago complete with explosives and guns? Id rather have the security and not need it than not have the security and need it.

People on here seem to live in a little dream world where the world is all nice and that there aren't bad people out there who want to make a scene in the name of religion do they think the goverment and the illuminati just make it all up.
Reply 3
And the reason we hear so much about it is that they would rather prevent terrorists from trying anything by telling them how many fighter jets and AA missiles we have than actually have burning wreckage scattering itself across London. For example.
Well there is a huge Islamic community in Newham so it would be ****ing idiotic if they did.

At the end of the day you could have every member of the armed forces around the site, all it takes is one bloke and his rucksack in the middle of a busy crowd and bobs your uncle, death. Nothing anyone could do about it. I live around Stratford, but I wont be going there while it's on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FrostyLemon
Well there is a huge Islamic community in Newham so it would be ****ing idiotic if they did.

At the end of the day you could have every member of the armed forces around the site, all it takes is one bloke and his rucksack in the middle of a busy crowd and bobs your uncle. Nothing anyone could do about it. I live around Stratford, but I wont be going there while it's on.

:colonhash:

I believe they would be collateral damage. It's not as if such an attacks on predominantly muslim areas hasn't occurred before.
Original post by HomoSapiensSap
:colonhash:

I believe they would be collateral damage. It's not as if such an attacks on predominantly muslim areas hasn't occurred before.

Yeah you're right, I was thinking about it logically. Silly me for thinking these people even have an ounce of logic in the first place.
Reply 7
Isn't it the Governments job to prepare for all eventualities?
Original post by FrostyLemon
Yeah you're right, I was thinking about it logically. Silly me for thinking these people even have an ounce of logic in the first place.

Many modern religious people do seem to have reduced logic - extremists and fanatics clearly even more so.

P.S.

Notice how I said 'many' and 'modern'. 'Many', because I clearly don't mean all. 'Modern', because in the past centuries, some of the greatest minds have been in one religion or another.
Reply 9

a hefty a chunk of these extra troops will be TA ... unarmed TA, which basically equates to exactly the same as the security personnel that G4S will be providing.

Its exactly the same as having 3500 extra civilians in attendance for security except that soldiers aren't entitled to clock off because they've been stood there for 12 hours or go on break because their legs are feeling a bit tired, they'll be doing some **** shifts no such thing as overtime, chin up fellas.
Reply 10
Original post by meenu89
Isn't it the Governments job to prepare for all eventualities?

Note that Stalin, Hamas and Pol Pot also justified military weapons in civilian areas to 'protect the people'.
Reply 11
Original post by Shabalala
well what's the point in your thread if you are agreeing the whole point of the security is to stop any possible threat.

Most of the security won't be their for terrorists they will just be general security there will be lots of alcohol consumed, there will need to be stewards and police inside the stadiums like at all sporting events.

But some people just love a good moan and complain don't they the security is there for good reason did you not hear about that Islamic terrorist cell they uncovered a few days ago complete with explosives and guns? Id rather have the security and not need it than not have the security and need it.

People on here seem to live in a little dream world where the world is all nice and that there aren't bad people out there who want to make a scene in the name of religion do they think the goverment and the illuminati just make it all up.
But if, between the heavy-handed, intimidating security and the crass commercial monopolies, the Olympics become an unpleasant place to be then the whole point of hosting the events is defeated.
This is probably mostly a PR excercise to warn off would-be terrorists.
Reply 13
Our aeroplanes that could detect smuggled nuclear materials have been landed since April. Rather mysteriously, all of the planes were to have maintenance at the same time. Funny that.

I won't be going near it nor at least for a month afterwards. Something smells wrong about this. G4S has connections with Israel and has been extremely negligent in training staff. There's massive holes in security with cars not being checked properly, lots of stolen uniforms etc.

On balance nothing will probably happen, but I ain't putting my life on the line over the possibility. Just look at how many muslims are in the country, there is no way even the SIS (who I have a lot of respect for) can protect us from them properly.
Original post by RyanT
Our aeroplanes that could detect smuggled nuclear materials have been landed since April. Rather mysteriously, all of the planes were to have maintenance at the same time. Funny that.

I won't be going near it nor at least for a month afterwards. Something smells wrong about this. G4S has connections with Israel and has been extremely negligent in training staff. There's massive holes in security with cars not being checked properly, lots of stolen uniforms etc.

On balance nothing will probably happen, but I ain't putting my life on the line over the possibility. Just look at how many muslims are in the country, there is no way even the SIS (who I have a lot of respect for) can protect us from them properly.

Wow.

You and your cultural antics.
Reply 15
Original post by James A
Wow.

Do you have any idea how many are being arrested every day as they put them behind bars for the duration of the Olympics?

It's not a joke James, these people do want to murder English people. You only have to look as far as 7/7 to see this.
Original post by James A
Wow.

He's right, though. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.
I personally don't see the problem with securing a major world event, providing jobs for the private sector and ensuring a level of security for international and national visitors to London.
Original post by Harry Callahan
He's right, though. Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.

Yeah but he had to bring Muslims into his argument, didn't he?

(btw i ain't Muslim)
Original post by Kolya
But if, between the heavy-handed, intimidating security and the crass commercial monopolies, the Olympics become an unpleasant place to be then the whole point of hosting the events is defeated.

I was at the jubilee boat thing in London there were a **** load of security personel around London not once did it affect me or my enjoyment of the day (aside from the fact it was boring as ****) I was asked to show them the inside of my bag it took 10 seconds of my day and that was it. When I go to football games the police and stewards that surround me don't make the slightest bit of difference. Why would the security personel bother you unless you are paranoid or have something to hide?

Quick Reply

Latest