The Student Room Group

Restarting Sixth Form

I am coming to the end of year 12, however, for most of the year, I have had an awful attitude towards AS levels, meaning I am almost certain in failing all my exams and have taken it upon myself to restart sixth form. There is problem though, my head of sixth form is saying because I have not finished my BTEC Sport work that I will not be able to return and restart sixth form next year. She has only made me aware of this like a 3 days before we break up for summer holidays and I have many units to do. What I would like to know is; is she allowed to do this? I was under the assumption that access to AS level subjects was dependent on your GCSE grades? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is leaving me feeling pressured and stressed. I need to restart sixth form because I fully intend on going to medical school.
Reply 1
I'm in the same boat man. I am not worried about results day because I want to start fresh at a different college anyway for a multitude of reasons. Don't worry about it; let's just be grateful that we have a second chance.
Original post by RichWalkey
I am coming to the end of year 12, however, for most of the year, I have had an awful attitude towards AS levels, meaning I am almost certain in failing all my exams and have taken it upon myself to restart sixth form. There is problem though, my head of sixth form is saying because I have not finished my BTEC Sport work that I will not be able to return and restart sixth form next year. She has only made me aware of this like a 3 days before we break up for summer holidays and I have many units to do. What I would like to know is; is she allowed to do this? I was under the assumption that access to AS level subjects was dependent on your GCSE grades? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is leaving me feeling pressured and stressed. I need to restart sixth form because I fully intend on going to medical school.

You could always apply at a different college, you may even find that their system works better for you.
I had to restart my 1st year at sixth form too and I'm just finishing doing it for my 2nd time. Whilst I don't regret retaking at all, sometimes I think going to a different local college, like some of my other friends, may have actually been better for me with the change of scenery and their different approach to studies.
Reply 3
The thing is, she's saying that I won't be able to restart sixth form if I don't finish this work and I'm already getting work from the new subjects I'm on trial for, so it's becoming an impossibility to finish this BTEC work.
Reply 4
Original post by Daniellejo.
You could always apply at a different college, you may even find that their system works better for you.
I had to restart my 1st year at sixth form too and I'm just finishing doing it for my 2nd time. Whilst I don't regret retaking at all, sometimes I think going to a different local college, like some of my other friends, may have actually been better for me with the change of scenery and their different approach to studies.

I am currently waiting on one of the local grammar schools to have their results day to find out if there is a place for me at their sixth form, so fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest