The Student Room Group

Pair disembowell child rapist in jail

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18808886

Two prisoners who disembowelled a fellow inmate at Durham's Frankland Prison have been given life sentences.

Mitchell Harrison, 23, originally of Wolverhampton, was serving an indefinite term for child rape in Cumbria when he was killed in October.

Michael Parr, 32, and Nathan Mann, 23, cut his neck with a scalpel made from plastic cutlery and a razor blade.

Newcastle Crown Court heard they cut the dead victim's stomach and planned to eat his liver, but did not do so.

Parr had earlier pleaded guilty to murder and must serve a minimum term of 32 years. He was already serving life for the attempted murder of a hospital patient.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

[Parr and Mann] will face the fact that they may well end their lives in prison”

Judge Justice Openshaw

Mann pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility and was sentenced to life with a minimum term of 16 years, to run consecutive to the 24-year minimum sentence his is already serving for a double murder.

Harrison was jailed in January 2010 after he admitted raping a 13-year-old girl in Kendal, Cumbria.

He was killed in his cell at the category A facility, which has housed some of the UK's most high profile and dangerous inmates.
'Cannibalistic urges'

The court heard that Mann and Parr had expressed "fantasies" about beheading other prisoners and cutting out their stomachs.

Mann was described by a psychiatrist as "a remorseless, callous psychopath" who harboured "cannibalistic urges" and was "one of the most dangerous men in the criminal justice system".

Sentencing the pair for the "ghastly and gruesome" killing, Judge Justice Openshaw said: "I can't envisage circumstances in which either of them will ever be released.

"They will face the fact that they may well end their lives in prison."
Mitchell Harrison Mitchell Harrison was jailed after admitting raping a 13-year-old girl

The Prisons and Probation Ombudsman is carrying out an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding Mitchell's death.

A Prison Service spokesperson said: "We take the responsibility of keeping staff, prisoners and visitors safe extremely seriously.

"That's why we have a violence management system in place to deal with incidents quickly and robustly with serious incidents referred to the police immediately."

Det Ch Insp Steve Chapman, from Durham Police, said: "Mitchell Harrison was a young man who was by all accounts a model prisoner at HMP Frankland.

"Although his family never condoned his past actions, he was still their much loved son and brother and they were supporting him as he served his custodial sentence.

"His untimely death, and the horrific nature of it, left his family devastated."

Mitchell Harrison's family said in a statement: "Our lives have been shattered by Mitchell's horrific murder. His death was cruel and unnecessary."

As utterly repugnant as this fellows crime was i cant help but feel a bit sorry for him that is a horric way to die, may these two 'people' rot, especially considering their prior crimes aswell...

Scroll to see replies

care :confused: nope :smile:
Reply 2
He's not a great loss to the world and very few people will mourn his death but vigilantism isn't really justice. The killers definitely deserve a life sentence though.
Whether they did this for the sake of their own type of vigilante "justice" or to feed their sick urges, i find it hard to agree with what they did. Whether the victim was a model citizen or a convicted child rapist, i just cannot agree with such behaviour.

I can bet many people on this thread will see no issue in this mans murder, but in my opinion its maintaining compassion towards human life even in the most difficult of circumstances that makes us civilised people above those who commit such heinous crimes. I don't even know what to say, regardless of who the victim was, i'm still utterly disgusted by this.
Original post by TheEssence
Whether they did this for the sake of their own type of vigilante "justice" or to feed their sick urges, i find it hard to agree with what they did. Whether the victim was a model citizen or a convicted child rapist, i just cannot agree with such behaviour.

I can bet many people on this thread will see no issue in this mans murder, but in my opinion its maintaining compassion towards human life even in the most difficult of circumstances that makes us civilised people above those who commit such heinous crimes. I don't even know what to say, regardless of who the victim was, i'm still utterly disgusted by this.

ok, I have no compassion for the killed bloke, are you saying I am on the same level as those guys in prison?
Inb4 a bunch of people saying he deserved it and we get some badasses over here who claim they'd do the same.

Original post by Dirac Delta Function
ok, I have no compassion for the killed bloke, are you saying I am on the same level as those guys in prison?

I think that would be too strong a statement, but I think that a truly compassionate and just society is one in which we never write off another human being entirely for what they have done.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6

We're not civilised if we accept people killing child rapists, but we are civilised if we give a free hotel to someone who rapes a child? I'd say it's not as bad to kill the child rapist as it was bad for the guy to rape the child in the first place.
Reply 7
What a disgusting crime.

The victim certainly did not deserve that.
Reply 8
I LOL when these prison scums try to act all self righteous by dishing out their own bit of 'justice' on others.
Original post by Hopple
I'd say it's not as bad to kill the child rapist as it was bad for the guy to rape the child in the first place.

Is that at all relevant? It's not as if we have to choose between them and have one of these actions happen - the rape of the child had already occured, and enacting a brutal murder does nothing to help him and only adds another layer of unpleasantness onto the issue.

I see this sort of thinking a lot and it comes down to getting the Golden Rule backwards. There is a difference between "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "Do unto other as they have done unto you". Not that I have any religious basis for my ideas about morality, but this is a rather handy expression of a pretty key underpinning belief in the idea of how to act in our society.
Reply 10
Much as I want to say good on them murdering such a scum bag, its not how our society works. Unfortunately he had already been punished and did not deserve to be murdered. To delight in his death as some no doubt want to would just put us on a similar level to men like him.
Original post by Dirac Delta Function

Imply what you wish, but this attitude of an eye for an eye, or capital punishment, be it from the state of taken into the hands of prisoners in my opinion is wrong. Even with executions in other countries, they are at least given the dignity of a last meal, saying goodbye etc, this wasn't in any way justice, just a barbaric and animalistic act

Original post by Hopple
We're not civilised if we accept people killing child rapists, but we are civilised if we give a free hotel to someone who rapes a child? I'd say it's not as bad to kill the child rapist as it was bad for the guy to rape the child in the first place.

So you are suggesting this guy should not have been in prison, but instead executed? The problem with execution is that as we all know the law is not perfect. Mistakes are made, and when people lives are on the line the stakes are too high. With people like that the best thing that can be done is locking them away from society for the safety of others as well as themselves, it seems the former was fulfilled, but not the latter

Each to their own, what you're effectively saying is murder is not as bad as rape. I do take into consideration the fact that one was a convicted child rapist, and the other an innocent child, but still i just find it hard to accept such an end to ones life. Everyone has their own view, but i feel this act is disgusting, these guys were not acting as vigilantes, but to feed their own disgusting cannibalistic urges it seems. Even if they were acting as vigilantes, their hands weren't exactly clean themselves.
Reply 12
Original post by Chumbaniya
Is that at all relevant? It's not as if we have to choose between them and have one of these actions happen - the rape of the child had already occured, and enacting a brutal murder does nothing to help him and only adds another layer of unpleasantness onto the issue.

The killers are going to die behind bars anyway, do you have compassion for them? I was just continuing on from the first sentence that you omitted, in reply to the statement that no compassion for the rapist puts us on a par with him.

I see this sort of thinking a lot and it comes down to getting the Golden Rule backwards. There is a difference between "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "Do unto other as they have done unto you". Not that I have any religious basis for my ideas about morality, but this is a rather handy expression of a pretty key underpinning belief in the idea of how to act in our society.

Do unto the child rapist as you would have him do to you would mean leaving him alone. The presence of the latter attitude you state promotes the former's behaviour.
Just a load of nutters.
Reply 14
Original post by Jack93o
I LOL when these prison scums try to act all self righteous by dishing out their own bit of 'justice' on others.

Apparently criminals are more patriotic than most...
Reply 15
So you are suggesting this guy should not have been in prison, but instead executed? The problem with execution is that as we all know the law is not perfect. Mistakes are made, and when people lives are on the line the stakes are too high. With people like that the best thing that can be done is locking them away from society for the safety of others as well as themselves, it seems the former was fulfilled, but not the latter

I am saying your sweeping statement about being civilised is wrong. Even above, you've mentioned one of the biggest reasons why we don't have the death penalty, its impracticality/unreliability. Being civilised doesn't really come into it if your country has an army.

Each to their own, what you're effectively saying is murder is not as bad as rape. I do take into consideration the fact that one was a convicted child rapist, and the other an innocent child, but still i just find it hard to accept such an end to ones life. Everyone has their own view, but i feel this act is disgusting, these guys were not acting as vigilantes, but to feed their own disgusting cannibalistic urges it seems. Even if they were acting as vigilantes, their hands weren't exactly clean themselves.

What I said was the rape of an innocent child is worse than the murder of that rapist. I'm not defending the cannibalism, nor the murder, but I'm not going to lament the loss of the rapist's life just so I can claim to be 'civilised'.
Doubt they really did this because he was an evil man and it was better to rid the world of him.

Couldn't care less that this man died, the criminals I hope die behind prison bars, sad that it was gruesome, but ultimately I'm not too bothered.
Reply 17
Lads will be Lads.
Imply what you wish, but this attitude of an eye for an eye, or capital punishment, be it from the state of taken into the hands of prisoners in my opinion is wrong. Even with executions in other countries, they are at least given the dignity of a last meal, saying goodbye etc, this wasn't in any way justice, just a barbaric and animalistic act

To some degree, murder can be considered a merciful crime, if I was to meet someone I knew as A CHILD RAPIST or A MURDERER, I'd prefer to meet the murderer.
Reply 19
Killing the rapist was just an excuse to try and justify the pairs actions in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest