The Student Room Group

so many clearing places left?

Hey, was looking through choices as I'm scared I haven't made my offer, was looking for other options hoping there would be 1 or 2 choices somewhere, to my surprise the list is endlessly full of courses? apart from the tuition fee rise surely the effect wouldn't have been so great?

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/search.hjx;start=search.HsKeywordSearch.run?y=2012&w=H
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
theres a clearing list? :lolwut:

thought its only avaliable when the alevel results are published
Reply 2
how have you seen those in clearing?? i thought it was results day they come out???!!!
Reply 3
I think its suprising how the change in tuition fees has affected the number of applications. Think back to last year when there were hardly any clearing places left due to the mad rush of people wanting to get in before fee increases. Put it this way, it works in your favour as there are more clearing places to choose from if you need them :smile:
Reply 4
technically it's extra what on the UCAS sight it says clearing...
Reply 5
Original post by pshewitt1
Hey, was looking through choices as I'm scared I haven't made my offer, was looking for other options hoping there would be 1 or 2 choices somewhere, to my surprise the list is endlessly full of courses? apart from the tuition fee rise surely the effect wouldn't have been so great?

Are you sure you are not confusing adjustment with clearing?

The Clearing lists aren't published yet - I'm not entirely sure what lists you're looking at...?

However, there do tend to be a lot of courses in Clearing. However, whilst some of the more mainstream courses do come up, you also get a lot of the more obscure courses and bizarre joint honours, so it won't be the case that every course in Clearing will interest you.
Reply 7
technically it's extra what on the UCAS sight it says clearing...

link me to the list your talking about?
Reply 8
Original post by TheSownRose
The Clearing lists aren't published yet - I'm not entirely sure what lists you're looking at...?

However, there do tend to be a lot of courses in Clearing. However, whilst some of the more mainstream courses do come up, you also get a lot of the more obscure courses and bizarre joint honours, so it won't be the case that every course in Clearing will interest you.

I put a link in an edit to my original post? it's more extra but still...
Reply 9
Original post by Jack93o
link me to the list your talking about?

in the original post buddy :smile:
Reply 10
You seem to have just done a course search buddy :confused:
Reply 11
The courses with an 'x' next to it will be available on Extra...which perhaps means those courses will be on clearing too?
Reply 12
I put a link in an edit to my original post? it's more extra but still...

Oh I see, I read one of your posts again, so its ucas extra you're talking about then.

Well, beware though, that the course list (where theres a 'x' next to a course) may not be fully up to date. So the courses you're looking at may well have closed for application. Just a warning there, call the unis up to make sure, assumption is the mother of all ****-ups.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by TheSownRose

you seem knowledgeable. when do the clearing lists get published?
Reply 14
Original post by Gawjuz.x
The courses with an 'x' next to it will be available on Extra...which perhaps means those courses will be on clearing too?

technically yes, because the period to apply through ucas extra has already been over (last day was july the 4th I think), so if unis still have places for thier courses, then you apply through clearing.

tbh, I'm not entirely sure what the exactly difference is between applying through extra and clearing, but nevermind
Reply 15
Original post by burgers
You seem to have just done a course search buddy :confused:

yes but those with an X by them are available still :/
Reply 16
Original post by Jack93o
Oh I see, I read one of your posts again, so its ucas extra you're talking about then.

Well, beware though, that the course list (where theres a 'x' next to a course) may not be fully up to date. So the courses you're looking at may well have closed for application. Just a warning there, call the unis up to make sure, assumption is the mother of all ****-ups.

but would they not have updated since extra closed?
Durham's on that list, as is Birmingham... Hmm. I thought you had to pull out of Extra and those two are places where I would have thought they'd have filled up, thus this is an Extra list wherein many of these unis did not pull out?
Reply 18
but would they not have updated since extra closed?

no idea, all I know is that the universities themselves have to update it, not UCAS.

So assume nothing for now, ring up the unis you're interested in and ask for definite whether they still have spaces
Original post by ROYP
you seem knowledgeable. when do the clearing lists get published?

The big ones with every available course listed are on August 16th - they'll be on the UCAS website, in The Telegraph and I think of their website as well.

Some universities publish their own lists earlier. It's generally earlier in that week (because they will know the results from Sunday), but some go much earlier and I've heard some have even put them up now. Not sure which universities, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending