The Student Room Group

Appropriate to go to A&E for this?

Basically on Monday it started stinging whenever I had to wee, sometimes there was a bit of blood.
Went to the Drs on Tuesday who would only test for chlamydia and said he'd do a UTI/cystits check next week if it was still hurting (tested negative for chlamydia, btw).

anyway, now my lower back/belly is in so much pain :frown: my back is just hurting and aching, I'm guessing it's like kidney pain from a UTI, but I feel physically sick as well as that and it's horrible, I can barely take a deep breath properly. It's really really painful :frown:

should I go to A&E?

Scroll to see replies

that GP is a joke if he didn't do a urine dipstick there and then, it takes two minutes.

i think you should go, it does sound like a kidney infection now and you need antibiotics, with it being the weekend as well you would struggle to get some from the GP. perhaps a walk-in-centre would be more appropriate than A&E if there's one near you though.

maybe take a water sample with you to speed things up
Reply 2
Original post by clarusblue
that GP is a joke if he didn't do a urine dipstick there and then, it takes two minutes.

i think you should go, it does sound like a kidney infection now and you need antibiotics, with it being the weekend as well you would struggle to get some from the GP. perhaps a walk-in-centre would be more appropriate than A&E if there's one near you though.

maybe take a water sample with you to speed things up

I did find it a bit stupid that he wouldn't do it then too. :s-smilie:
Was thinking of going to the walk in centre too, it's basically the same distance away as A&E is, would they be able to give me antibiotics there and then or would I have to wait for any test results or anything?
Original post by Anonymous
I did find it a bit stupid that he wouldn't do it then too. :s-smilie:
Was thinking of going to the walk in centre too, it's basically the same distance away as A&E is, would they be able to give me antibiotics there and then or would I have to wait for any test results or anything?

i would go to the walk-in-centre then. They will dipstick the sample and confirm in two minutes that it is a UTI. they can give you the antibiotics there as well, might be a bit quicker than waiting in A&E as well.
Reply 4
Original post by clarusblue
i would go to the walk-in-centre then. They will dipstick the sample and confirm in two minutes that it is a UTI. they can give you the antibiotics there as well, might be a bit quicker than waiting in A&E as well.

Ohh thank you, I was just concerned that I'd have to wait a day or something like I had to for the STI test. Will definitely be going! Thanks for your help :h:
Yeah, OP i definitely suggest you get this checked out as it does sound serious.
Afterall, it is better to be safe than sorry! :smile:
Reply 6
Out of Hours GP or walk-in centre would be better. Good luck.
Reply 7
Definitely i have done a study on UTIs which i am contniuing this summer. Your symptoms seem to suggest a Kidney infection as it is affecting the lower back. I wouldn't be to hasty to assume tho. Is the front of your thighs in pain to, this is related to a lower UTU. UTIs are the most badly treated and detected medical infections. So persist to go to the hospital. A dipstick misses >50% of infections.
Reply 8
Definately go to the walk in centre first, been there lots of times with utis and they are able to give you antibiotics
Reply 9
You should go back to the doctor and ask him to do a test for a UTI. Last time my girlfriend had symptoms of one she got an appointment with a nurse on the same day because it's pretty important to get rid of it quickly before it spreads. Hopefully you'll have as much luck as she did :smile:
Reply 10
I'd give NHS direct a call and get their advice. They'll most likely refer you to your nearest walk in centre or out of hours GP.
GOOD LUCK op!
Reply 12
Thanks everyone for your replies! Walk in centre it is :h: I think I just panicked a bit when my back started reeeally hurting out of nowhere.
Reply 13
It sounds like it could possibly be spreading to your kidneys. So as everyones said, get checked asap. Luckily with UTI's/bladder/kidney problems you will be seen pretty quickly as it's important to get it fixed. I spent alot of the start of this year with bladder problems and I was always seen pretty swiftly.
Reply 14
Original post by conniebee
It sounds like it could possibly be spreading to your kidneys. So as everyones said, get checked asap. Luckily with UTI's/bladder/kidney problems you will be seen pretty quickly as it's important to get it fixed. I spent alot of the start of this year with bladder problems and I was always seen pretty swiftly.

I went this morning and got seen within 15 minutes - the average waiting time today was supposed to be an hour! Pretty good. I got antibiotics finally though so hopefully this should be the end of it.
Reply 15
I went this morning and got seen within 15 minutes - the average waiting time today was supposed to be an hour! Pretty good. I got antibiotics finally though so hopefully this should be the end of it.

That's good then, I think any time I went I was seen within 10-15 minutes. Not to scare you at all, but they generally get you seen to pretty quickly as these things can spread and cause some damage. But if you get to it on time and keep an eye on yourself so to speak you'll be fine. Hope the antibiotics work and clear it all up for you :smile:
Reply 16
If i were you i would complain about the GP, just to try to make sure he/she actually does urine dips for patients with urinary symptoms in the future, as all the guidelines say to do.
Reply 17
Original post by nexttime
If i were you i would complain about the GP, just to try to make sure he/she actually does urine dips for patients with urinary symptoms in the future, as all the guidelines say to do.

I think I might you know :s-smilie: especially if it's gotten worse than just a UTI, I've taken the first tablet earlier and 4 paracetamol today, but still having quite bad lower back pains. Just got to hope these antibiotics work :frown:

Original post by conniebee
That's good then, I think any time I went I was seen within 10-15 minutes. Not to scare you at all, but they generally get you seen to pretty quickly as these things can spread and cause some damage. But if you get to it on time and keep an eye on yourself so to speak you'll be fine. Hope the antibiotics work and clear it all up for you :smile:

Thank you :smile: yeah, that's why I was surprised my GP was so casual about it, knowing they can turn nasty!
I think I might you know :s-smilie: especially if it's gotten worse than just a UTI, I've taken the first tablet earlier and 4 paracetamol today, but still having quite bad lower back pains. Just got to hope these antibiotics work :frown:

Are you drinking enough?
Reply 19
Original post by OU Student
Are you drinking enough?

I think so... will have some more though for good measure!

Quick Reply

Latest