The Student Room Group

Is there any point in applying to OxBridge with a 34 in IB?

Hi,

I think I know what the answer is going to be but whatever, I'm asking anyway.

Is there any possibility that perhaps they may look past the grades and if one does well in the Admissions test and interview, they may make an offer?

Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatGuyCalledMo
Hi,

Is there any possibility that perhaps they may look past the grades and if one does well in the Admissions test and interview, they may make an offer?

Thanks

It's one university out to five. If you have five other universities you like as much, don't bother. If not, make it your ambitious choice and apply to other more realistic ones as well.
Hi,

Thanks

it is a long shot, but if you add more realistic universities, and 1 or 2 that ur sure to get an offer from, then why not, just to try ur luck. but i doubt they'd ever overlook entry requirement grades..
Reply 3
x

I'm afraid it's very unlikely you'll get offered an interview. The competition is incredible, and Oxford's standard offer is 38-40 in the IB. The only way I can foresee you getting an interview is if you scored 777 in your HL and then for some reason lost a lot of points on your SL subjects.
Reply 4
From what I understand Christ College makes a Matriculation Offer to 1/3 of its applicants which only requires 2 A Levels at grade E or above. A 34 in IB would also be suitable for this offer but keep in mind out of all the oxbridge colleges only christ usually makes this offer.
Reply 5
Original post by ZerofeX
From what I understand Christ College makes a Matriculation Offer to 1/3 of its applicants which only requires 2 A Levels at grade E or above. A 34 in IB would also be suitable for this offer but keep in mind out of all the oxbridge colleges only christ usually makes this offer.

Those who are given an EE offer tend to achieve the top grades anyway.
Do you mean predicted or obtained? If predicted then it might be worth it if you think you can do better, but if you hold those grades it's probably not worth it.

It may be worth noting that while Christ's gave out a third matric offers a few years ago (and only to the best applicants) they've basically stopped now.
Original post by Groat
I'm afraid it's very unlikely you'll get offered an interview. The competition is incredible, and Oxford's standard offer is 38-40 in the IB. The only way I can foresee you getting an interview is if you scored 777 in your HL and then for some reason lost a lot of points on your SL subjects.

Wasn't the case

Original post by milienhaus
Do you mean predicted or obtained? If predicted then it might be worth it if you think you can do better, but if you hold those grades it's probably not worth it.

It may be worth noting that while Christ's gave out a third matric offers a few years ago (and only to the best applicants) they've basically stopped now.

No, those are obtained grades. So I guess there's no point.
(edited 11 years ago)
Wasn't that case

No, those are obtained grades. So I guess there's no point.

Well, do you have five other universities that you are equally interested in?
Original post by TheSownRose
Well, do you have five other universities that you are equally interested in?

I've already missed both my offers for this years entry and I was just thinking about what I could do next year. So no, I'm not looking into unis just yet, was just curious about OxBridge. That's all :smile:
Reply 10
Resit some if possible in November and get a new prediction if possible.
Original post by ZerofeX
Resit some if possible in November and get a new prediction if possible.

I don't know. This was a massive blow to my confidence (after being predicted a 41) and I don't think I'd be able to go back to things again. I just want to find a good uni and get on with Philosophy. And therein lies the fundamental problem.

I'm just really confused right now. For the first time, I feel like I have no options :frown:
Reply 12
I don't know. This was a massive blow to my confidence (after being predicted a 41) and I don't think I'd be able to go back to things again. I just want to find a good uni and get on with Philosophy. And therein lies the fundamental problem.

I'm just really confused right now. For the first time, I feel like I have no options :frown:

Look, 34 is a good score regardless of what others may think. If money isnt an issue almost all universities in north american will accept a good 30+ score in the IB.

If you want to stay in the UK, Clearing will start soon. There will be some decent uni's there. Atleast your course isnt over subscribed like medicine or law.
I've already missed both my offers for this years entry and I was just thinking about what I could do next year. So no, I'm not looking into unis just yet, was just curious about OxBridge. That's all :smile:

If you have missed your offers this year, there is no likelihood of Oxbridge being more lenient than them, so your only real option is to retake, which brings you into difficulties if the universities want results from one sitting only. Try what clearing has to offer first, then consider your options afterwards, when you have more time to consider things carefully.
Original post by ZerofeX
Look, 34 is a good score regardless of what others may think. If money isnt an issue almost all universities in north american will accept a good 30+ score in the IB.

If you want to stay in the UK, Clearing will start soon. There will be some decent uni's there. Atleast your course isnt over subscribed like medicine or law.

I guess it is but personally, needless to say I'm pretty upset with the result. Yeah, thank god for that. I'll just wait for Clearing.

Original post by carnationlilyrose
If you have missed your offers this year, there is no likelihood of Oxbridge being more lenient than them, so your only real option is to retake, which brings you into difficulties if the universities want results from one sitting only. Try what clearing has to offer first, then consider your options afterwards, when you have more time to consider things carefully.

Yeah, I think I'll just have to wait another month or so and see what I can do through Clearing.
I guess it is but personally, needless to say I'm pretty upset with the result. Yeah, thank god for that. I'll just wait for Clearing.

Yeah, I think I'll just have to wait another month or so and see what I can do through Clearing.

I'm sure it all feels like the end of the world right at this moment, but a little time and space will help you to see it really isn't as bad as you think. You need to take a bit of time to collect all the information you need before rushing into things. Good luck.
Reply 16
Have a look at UEA - good philosophy course, good uni, but they have a much more generous view of IB scores against A levels than most unis - e.g AAB is 33 points at UEA, and is 36-7 points elsewhere. With 34 points you'd even get a fee waiver ...
You should take your time and look closely on all the different Philosophy courses. You will probably find one, you are really happy with and have no problems to get in. Look at a wide range of options.

You can also gain additional qualifications in a gap year, either ins the hope of improving your application profile and/or just for improving your long time chances to get a job and/or profit really from your three years at University.

Good luck!
Original post by Nathanielle
You should take your time and look closely on all the different Philosophy courses. You will probably find one, you are really happy with and have no problems to get in. Look at a wide range of options.

You can also gain additional qualifications in a gap year, either ins the hope of improving your application profile and/or just for improving your long time chances to get a job and/or profit really from your three years at University.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've been thinking about different kinds of options.

Like what for example? The one thing I'm worried about is that if I do apply, the first thing they're going to see at OxBridge is 34 and just dismiss the application completely without even looking at other things.

Extensive Reading, awesome statement, additional A Levels, learning a new language, perhaps voluntary work at some department (who knows) ...

For Oxbridge you can probably only gain additional qualifications, ring up all the colleges to see, where you might have a chance to be considered, relax and fill up your year with stuff which benefit you long term, not depending only on Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest