The Student Room Group

laughing at 'silly' names

Scroll to see replies

Ah, don't worry about it, it's just a bit of light-hearted fun; just humour them and laugh along with them and they'll realise teasing you is boring. Or when you introduce yourself, make the joke first.

People tease for all sorts of reasons, I'm 5'11, so I've heard "wow you're tall/what's the weather like up there/I bet you're a basketball player" etc etc. If you make it an issue, they're going to tease you more.

Could be worse, you could be called Dick Hyman? ( a piano player) or one of these names:

[video="youtube;FLDs7Dtgw_M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDs7Dtgw_M[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
I laugh at a few people's initals I know. My mum was a HAG. My boyfriend was an ARS until his parents realised just before birth and added an extra middle name. His mum is a GAS.
My last name is Hancock. 'Nuff said.
Original post by sarahthegemini
Some guy at my school had the last name of Dicks. Yeah, people laughed.

Not a good idea if his dad or uncle was Julian, the ex West Ham footballer.
Reply 84
Original post by sheridanamber
My last name is Hancock. 'Nuff said.

I knew a girl with the surname Grocock.

Funnily enough, no one ever made fun of her for it...
Original post by Clare~Bear
Well there aren't many Scottish surnames that are guys names are there. I'm not telling you it exactly, but it's one of the following; Cameron, Craig, Elliot, Graham, Maxwell, Stewart. And cos they haven't got a Mc or Mac, English kids especially don't realise that they're just normal Scottish surnames.

I think I've seen and heard all of those used as surnames before, and I'd never think anyone would be made fun of for them :lolwut:. People from your school seem weird for teasing you about that, lol.

That said, I knew a girl from school with the surname Hoare :teehee:. Funnily enough, I've seen on Facebook that she's changed it to her partner's surname, but I'm not sure if they're married or she just wanted to change it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
There was a kid at my brother's school called Joseph S h i t l e r.

Now that is an unfortunate name for a schoolkid.

(The swear filter gave a false positive - there's no cussing above, that is his actual name.)
Original post by syrettd
I laugh at a few people's initals I know. My mum was a HAG. My boyfriend was an ARS until his parents realised just before birth and added an extra middle name. His mum is a GAS.

My uncle once went out with a SLAG :giggle:
Original post by Schmucks
Name like Punt, could've been worse.

Oh yeah, that's how my brother found out about the word c**t.
Reply 89
I know a girl called Jenna Taylor. Don't know what her parents were thinking.
There was a girl in my class for GCSE French called Lana, the boys soon realised what her name spelled backwards and decided they would call her that for the rest of year. A bit funny initially but ultimately sad for her to have to deal with that for the whole year.
Reply 91
I knew i never got it bad, it was usually when the teachers said my surname instead of my first name that they giggled. i knew a lot of people would actually have funny names or initials, I feel sorry for them :hugs:
People grow out of it.

Though there have been a couple of girls in my school with names that are a bit ...unusual -

Beenana, and BJ (Yes, her first name was actually BJ... )
Reply 93
Guy in my school called Jack Bender.

Whenever his name is announced during assembly to collect an award or something, everyone cracks up. That guy's heart must sink every time.

Poor lad.
My last name is a boy's name too though I've never had anyone accidentally call me it. It is also part of the name of a shop which many people used to find it hilarious to call me. :colonhash:

a lot of teachers get it wrong too. I have literally no idea how you can mess it up, it's a simple enough name :dontknow: they miss out the end letter and so pronounce it wrong, and it's happened a surprisingly large number of times.

on topic though, I think it's just the nature of some people to make fun of anything that's different to normal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 95
A girl at school had the surname 'Topless'.

It was the ongoing joke to ask 'Have you seen Samantha Topless?'.
Reply 96
My initials once people realise what they are can cause some giggles. I won't say them on here but they make up something that is well known. Mum and Dad didn't think people would know who this person was when I grew up. Unfortunately it was a bigger thing than they thought it would be. Not too many people click in though.
Reply 97
My name's very long and unusual and I never have any problems apart from people trying to pronounce it. :tongue:
Original post by Inverse
My name's very long and unusual and I never have any problems apart from people trying to pronounce it. :tongue:

A friends' son has a first name and a surname which are both quite long. I either forget his name (:rolleyes::redface:) or it sounds like another name. As for the surname - no matter how many times I've been told it, I still can't say it.
Reply 99
Original post by OU Student
A friends' son has a first name and a surname which are both quite long. I either forget his name (:rolleyes::redface:) or it sounds like another name. As for the surname - no matter how many times I've been told it, I still can't say it.

Haha this is what' I'm talking about, good thing I have a nick name though. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending