The Student Room Group

Greggs or Sainsburys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by conway!
As long as you never pretended to have been employed on your application, you'll be fine. My references were put through within a month though, is your school open to phone right now, and you can ask the specific teachers if they'd mind giving their e-mail addresses/home addresses? (or maybe even give you a written reference, sign it and put their phone numbers on to verify it). Even if you can't, if you can explain it's from school in the interview, they'll surely understand there's nothing you can do:smile:
(and good luck!)

I'm quite sure they won't give their home addresses lol, I just left school. Do you think I should phone Greggs up and tell them...just in case I disappoint them? And they asked for passport along with copy and obviously national insurance, is it normal for them to ask for original documents? And thanx for the reply :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by orange'94
just give the school email addresses , most teachers will regularly check there emails throughout the holidays unless they have gone aboard or something.
Also head office will deal with the references and by the time the message gets to you the teachers would of filled it out.

One of my references is my previous headteacher (who I said about 10 words to in 5 years) but my P.S.H.E teacher told me that one of my references must be my headteacher and I think the head will pass the message onto other teachers or something like that. So I should still give the headteachers email right? Thanks for the reply
Reply 62
is this good prepartaion for interview at greggs?

Why do you want to work here?
Successful Retailer been around for over 70 years, Wide variety of jobs always available, love the fast paced atmosphere. Constantly growing, want to be part of it. Make a difference in the community.
How do you think the manager should treat you?
With fairness, to have anything told to them in confidence to be kept to themselves, to be supportive if you come to them with problems, etc
What hygienic procedures do you think are necessary in a food environment?
Washing hands, not touching food with your bare hands, not reheating food, wearing clean uniform, cleaning as you go, wearing aprons
How would your friends describe you?
Flexible, honest, reliable, punctual, outgoing
Tell me about yourself
I am very honest, reliable and loyal. I am a capable team player that can easily get along with others. I enjoy challenges and Greggs will provide many for me. Being a very quick learner and hard worker I require very little supervision. I attended The Hathershaw College and have gained a total of 19 GCSE’s during my time at the school. I enjoy being around people of different ages, background and gender.
Examples of working as part of a team?
During my time at high school, I enjoyed playing football with people from various different backgrounds. In order to succeed, every player in the team had to be a good team player, this involved, good communication skills. When our team players felt down, me and my other team mates spurred them on and made sure they didn’t lose their motivation.
How would you greet a customer?
Approach the customer, smile and ask, ‘what can I help you with’, meet their needs and offer suggestions if appropriate.
How would you treat a new member of staff/how would you like other staff to treat you?
I’d welcome them in with a smile and say hello or similar. If they struggle with any task, I’d offer them my help and advice.
What do you expect to be doing while working here?
I expect to be a team worker, helping greggs to grow even further by doing what is necessary. I am willing to get my hands dirty and help satisfy customer requirements.
What is your greatest strength?
Very quick learner
Always punctual
Good team player
What are your weaknesses?
A bit picky, like doing everything right the first time, bit of a perfectionist
I like doing things thoroughly and take my time to make sure that it is perfect.
A bit too helpful.
Original post by noorul87
is this good prepartaion for interview at greggs?

Why do you want to work here?
Successful Retailer been around for over 70 years, Wide variety of jobs always available, love the fast paced atmosphere. Constantly growing, want to be part of it. Make a difference in the community.
How do you think the manager should treat you?
With fairness, to have anything told to them in confidence to be kept to themselves, to be supportive if you come to them with problems, etc
What hygienic procedures do you think are necessary in a food environment?
Washing hands, not touching food with your bare hands, not reheating food, wearing clean uniform, cleaning as you go, wearing aprons
How would your friends describe you?
Flexible, honest, reliable, punctual, outgoing
Tell me about yourself
I am very honest, reliable and loyal. I am a capable team player that can easily get along with others. I enjoy challenges and Greggs will provide many for me. Being a very quick learner and hard worker I require very little supervision. I attended The Hathershaw College and have gained a total of 19 GCSE’s during my time at the school. I enjoy being around people of different ages, background and gender.
Examples of working as part of a team?
During my time at high school, I enjoyed playing football with people from various different backgrounds. In order to succeed, every player in the team had to be a good team player, this involved, good communication skills. When our team players felt down, me and my other team mates spurred them on and made sure they didn’t lose their motivation.
How would you greet a customer?
Approach the customer, smile and ask, ‘what can I help you with’, meet their needs and offer suggestions if appropriate.
How would you treat a new member of staff/how would you like other staff to treat you?
I’d welcome them in with a smile and say hello or similar. If they struggle with any task, I’d offer them my help and advice.
What do you expect to be doing while working here?
I expect to be a team worker, helping greggs to grow even further by doing what is necessary. I am willing to get my hands dirty and help satisfy customer requirements.
What is your greatest strength?
Very quick learner
Always punctual
Good team player
What are your weaknesses?
A bit picky, like doing everything right the first time, bit of a perfectionist
I like doing things thoroughly and take my time to make sure that it is perfect.
A bit too helpful.

all good, but Greggs actually prefer clean bare hands to gloved, its more hygienic to wash your hands before and after each task then it is to wear the same pair of gloves for all your tasks.

If you look at subway they wear gloves, but they use the same 'dirty' gloves when touching meat then lettuce and keep the gloves on at the till?. ewww.

Saying your a perfectionist is good, but taking your time .. NO. Greggs is very very fast paced , you will have to be serving customers whilst cooking several trays of pastys and doing cleaning, and more then likely running front of shop on your own (after a while) and you have to the job properly but saying you take your time sounds like you will be slow.

Greggs dont like ANY piercing's (you will be asked this), Try not to sound to boring the whole 'Greggs family' is very true, it is like a massive family and everyone is so nice to each other , so being a team player is vital. You must fit in to the family because if you dont then you will ruin the shop haha, sounds crazy but true.

When your asked are you flexible , say yes, even if your not (within reason). When there is sickness they need staff that they know they can call upon because they cant just make do, also being a food environment your not allowed back for a while after being ill.

Sorry for going on a bit , Ive worked at Greggs for over a year in several different shops, I know the process haha. Hope you get the job
Reply 64
all good, but Greggs actually prefer clean bare hands to gloved, its more hygienic to wash your hands before and after each task then it is to wear the same pair of gloves for all your tasks.

If you look at subway they wear gloves, but they use the same 'dirty' gloves when touching meat then lettuce and keep the gloves on at the till?. ewww.

Saying your a perfectionist is good, but taking your time .. NO. Greggs is very very fast paced , you will have to be serving customers whilst cooking several trays of pastys and doing cleaning, and more then likely running front of shop on your own (after a while) and you have to the job properly but saying you take your time sounds like you will be slow.

Greggs dont like ANY piercing's (you will be asked this), Try not to sound to boring the whole 'Greggs family' is very true, it is like a massive family and everyone is so nice to each other , so being a team player is vital. You must fit in to the family because if you dont then you will ruin the shop haha, sounds crazy but true.

When your asked are you flexible , say yes, even if your not (within reason). When there is sickness they need staff that they know they can call upon because they cant just make do, also being a food environment your not allowed back for a while after being ill.

Sorry for going on a bit , Ive worked at Greggs for over a year in several different shops, I know the process haha. Hope you get the job

Thank you for the thorough reply :smile: What questions were you asked at interview (greggs based Q's)? How many questions do they ask you in total? How long does the interview last? Since I'm a Muslim I will be fasting on the day of the interview, would they say anything if my belly rumbles? lol
Reply 65
Thank you for the thorough reply :smile: What questions were you asked at interview (greggs based Q's)? How many questions do they ask you in total? How long does the interview last? Since I'm a Muslim I will be fasting on the day of the interview, would they say anything if my belly rumbles? lol

If you go on the Greggs website they have their "values": "We will be enthusiastic and supportive in all that we do, open, honest and appreciative, treating everyone with fairness, consideration and respect." As far as I can tell all the questions at my interview were expecting you to use one or two of the "buzzwords" - it seems to be a box-ticking thing. Plus look smart - a friend of mine went to an (unsuccessful) Greggs interview in jeans and a top because "it's only Greggs". I went in a blazer, smart top and black trousers, and I think they were pleased I actually took it seriously, it's a job like any other.
Also have a look at their charity work because mentioning that seems a nice idea.
Reply 66
Original post by conway!
If you go on the Greggs website they have their "values": "We will be enthusiastic and supportive in all that we do, open, honest and appreciative, treating everyone with fairness, consideration and respect." As far as I can tell all the questions at my interview were expecting you to use one or two of the "buzzwords" - it seems to be a box-ticking thing. Plus look smart - a friend of mine went to an (unsuccessful) Greggs interview in jeans and a top because "it's only Greggs". I went in a blazer, smart top and black trousers, and I think they were pleased I actually took it seriously, it's a job like any other.
Also have a look at their charity work because mentioning that seems a nice idea.

How am I meant to you use these words, e.g. i will take careful consideration... or since you take carefull consideration....Should I relate to them or me or does it not matter (they just want to here the words)? thnx for the reply btw :smile:
Reply 67
How am I meant to you use these words, e.g. i will take careful consideration... or since you take carefull consideration....Should I relate to them or me or does it not matter (they just want to here the words)? thnx for the reply btw :smile:

No, that sounds a bit weird to be honest, I don't think that's how they mean it. It's more like if they ask "How should a manager treat staff?" You could reply "They should treat everybody the same (equality) it's important they make sure they recognise achievements and try tackle problems before they really begin (appreciative and supportive)". or "I always do my very best but it's important to enjoy your job too, have a chat with the customers while you serve them..." (enthusiasm) etc... Definitely relate them to yourself and the way you work when it's relevant.
Reply 68
Original post by conway!
No, that sounds a bit weird to be honest, I don't think that's how they mean it. It's more like if they ask "How should a manager treat staff?" You could reply "They should treat everybody the same (equality) it's important they make sure they recognise achievements and try tackle problems before they really begin (appreciative and supportive)". or "I always do my very best but it's important to enjoy your job too, have a chat with the customers while you serve them..." (enthusiasm) etc... Definitely relate them to yourself and the way you work when it's relevant.

One final pointer, Black trousers, Dark Purple shirt, with belt (no tie no blazer), is that too flashy for interview. Or should I wear lilac (very near to white) in stead of purple shirt? Thnx

Im sure they wont mind, maybe make a joke of it and explain , good luck being in a bakery when your fasting though :P
Just out of interest, after applying to Greggs, how long did it take to hear you would be interviewed?

I know they reply either way but i applied a couple of days ago and I'm just basically waiting for a rejection email since that's what i get from every other company (well the ones who actually bother to reply)
Reply 71
Im sure they wont mind, maybe make a joke of it and explain , good luck being in a bakery when your fasting though :P

Lol it's all part of the determination, enthusiasm, and commitment :wink:
Reply 72
Original post by missrosielee
Just out of interest, after applying to Greggs, how long did it take to hear you would be interviewed?

I know they reply either way but i applied a couple of days ago and I'm just basically waiting for a rejection email since that's what i get from every other company (well the ones who actually bother to reply)

I got a reply within 2days
Reply 73
Hi everyone,

I had an interview with Greggs about 4 weeks ago (I know I'm dumb).

I was nervous but in general, I think I did quite well.

The interviewer told me that she couldn't give me the exact time she would contact me regarding my result because she's not sure when the new store would open. They interviewed and screened applicants early so that everything would be ready for the store opening. But she promised to get back to me no matter what the result is. I've checked the store location but it's not been open yet.

What should I do now? Should I call them to ask for the result?

Also, is there anyone in the same situation? I've applied online for KFC, MacDonalds, PizzaHut, etc. several times but always been rejected. Should I just come to their stores and hand in my CV directly? It seems so difficult to find a job now.

Thanks a lot, everyone.
Original post by lylydo
Hi everyone,

I had an interview with Greggs about 4 weeks ago (I know I'm dumb).

I was nervous but in general, I think I did quite well.

The interviewer told me that she couldn't give me the exact time she would contact me regarding my result because she's not sure when the new store would open. They interviewed and screened applicants early so that everything would be ready for the store opening. But she promised to get back to me no matter what the result is. I've checked the store location but it's not been open yet.

What should I do now? Should I call them to ask for the result?

Also, is there anyone in the same situation? I've applied online for KFC, MacDonalds, PizzaHut, etc. several times but always been rejected. Should I just come to their stores and hand in my CV directly? It seems so difficult to find a job now.

Thanks a lot, everyone.

Maybe its worth finding out, I started work in a new store but I got trained in a different store for a few months beforehand, they cant just throw a load of new people into the shop and expect them to run greggs? haha, check your emails, (and junk) they would of said if there was a delay, 4 weeks is to long.
hi guys,

Does anyone know what i should put for this question; "What are your future aims / goals / career aspirations? ", for the greggs job appplication?
Original post by rurounikenji
hi guys,

Does anyone know what i should put for this question; "What are your future aims / goals / career aspirations? ", for the greggs job appplication?

just put your real goals , maybe talk about retail and food and how you would like to work your way up, greggs love promoting internally in my area they have not externally advertised for any senior position.
Reply 77
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I work at Greggs and I can honestly say it is an amazing place to work! :biggrin:

I know this is an old thread but do Gregg's pay weekly or monthly? I start this week😳

Quick Reply

Latest