The Student Room Group

Engineering - comparison of 2 subjects..

Hello. I know maths is essential for Engineering, and Physics.
But if anything other than that, say extra subjects, if i had Design and Technology and ICT with those, which one is better suited for engineering? and which one is better overall for the future?
Design Technology? Or ICT?
Which one should i drop?
Any help given is highly appreciated thank you for reading guys
Reply 1
Original post by Amirindo
But if anything other than that, say extra subjects, if i had Design and Technology and ICT with those, which one is better suited for engineering? and which one is better overall for the future?
Which one should i drop?

I did Design Tech (Product Design) with Maths and Physics at A2 and I got offers for engineering from all the university's I applied to so the must regard it as a good subject to take for engineering. I can't comment for ICT though.
Reply 2
Thanks. DT is like an engineering based subject.
ICT im not sure, COMPUTING is more like it, but dont know about ICT, but i have heard ICT is very useful and they do praise that qualification (correct me if i am worng anyone)
Reply 3
Thanks. DT is like an engineering based subject.
ICT im not sure, COMPUTING is more like it, but dont know about ICT, but i have heard ICT is very useful and they do praise that qualification (correct me if i am worng anyone)

Yes I agree with what you're saying. I would say Design Technology would be better for an engineering degree and ICT would be better for a Computer Science degree.

But I'd still choose the one you prefer studying otherwise it would be a real drag over the year
I'd say both are considered useful. You don't do much design/practical work during an engineering degree as you'd probably like to do, as a lot of it is maths and theory based, but I suppose it helps with some aspects of design in your degree.
Computer software are widely used in engineering, but it probably doesn't involve half the things you learn in ICT A Levels. I used AutoCAD, Solidworks, Matlab, C++ for my engineering degree.

If you happen to be considering Civil Engineering however, geography would have been a good extra subject.
I have a whole 3rd year module on Product Design, and my AS PD was quite useful in my first year Engineering Drawing module

What do you even learn in ICT? :dontknow:
Reply 6
Which one should i drop?

I always thought ICT was a useless subject.

It'll be useless for engineering unless you're doing programming, and only then if you're doing a substantial amount of it since your taught it in your degree anyway. Design and Tech is a good one as it gives you more of a well rounded view of the processes involved and in problem solving.
Reply 7
Original post by + polarity -
I have a whole 3rd year module on Product Design, and my AS PD was quite useful in my first year Engineering Drawing module

What do you even learn in ICT? :dontknow:

From what I've heard... How to use computers in an office environment. That means databases, websites and the like, as well as some legal issues and a bit about how people work with computers. Pretty much how to use computers. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Computing only crosses over on the legal issues (very barely) and on the databases, although apparently we study them in a different light to ICT students. It's more focused on how systems work than how to use them.
Reply 8
DT is pretty **** though, because not many people would already have it. I got a 1st in my design classes at uni without doing DT at college.

Also, IT can help prepare you for things like MatLAB and Java which you may have to use (I know I did for Mech Eng before I changed to Civil).

So I'd say it depends what your IT Covers, if it covers programming at all, go with that. Learning to draw different projects is easy enough compared to learning to program.
Reply 9
IT rarely covers programming anymore - it's basically an A level in being a secretary.

Computing generally involves programming. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by yennibubs
I'd say both are considered useful. You don't do much design/practical work during an engineering degree as you'd probably like to do, as a lot of it is maths and theory based, but I suppose it helps with some aspects of design in your degree.
Computer software are widely used in engineering, but it probably doesn't involve half the things you learn in ICT A Levels. I used AutoCAD, Solidworks, Matlab, C++ for my engineering degree.

If you happen to be considering Civil Engineering however, geography would have been a good extra subject.

This probably sums it up nicely.

Further Maths also helps but many universities just re-teach the mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending